Sponsored

Another positive SC experience (Memphis Service Center)

Joe schmoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model S
Took my R1S to the Memphis service center for sn alignment, wheel rotation, backup light recall, and a small list of annoyances like a loose roof trim piece.

They reached out last week (for the recall) and although I didn't have any pressing issues I asked if they could take care of my list at the same time. We agreed on yesterday, because it was convenient for me, but they could have taken it as soon as Monday.

They couldn't have been nicer, talked at length with me about my concerns and sent me home with a clean R1T loaner charged to 100%.

They called me early this afternoon telling me it was ready and what they found. I was at work so couldn't come pick it up, but they left it out, charged to my normal limit, and told me where to drop off the loaner and key fob after hours.

I don't know what they could have done better. Zero complaints with the service experience.

Of course, living here in flyover country means the fast charging infrastructure sucks, but there are some perks like a super nice, not busy, service center.
Sponsored

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Awesome to hear! It was only time for Rivian to get this service situation hammered out and start having more and more reports like this! Very nice!

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

Good to hear a positive experience! Did they charge it to 100%? I would suggest setting s lower charging limit if so. I set mine at 70% the wife likes hers at 80%.

OP
OP
Joe schmoe

Joe schmoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model S
Good to hear a positive experience! Did they charge it to 100%? I would suggest setting s lower charging limit if so. I set mine at 70% the wife likes hers at 80%.
They charged my R1S to my normal "daily" limit of 76%

We actually discussed it at some length when I dropped it off--I drove a Tesla model S for eight years prior to the Rivian, and have been pretty OCD about the. battery.

The Tesla, which is still in the family but now lives in Austin, TX with my daughter, has about 8% degradation over that 8+ years..

My model S has been charged to 100% maybe 5 times in its life, to make long legs, and has never been allowed to stay at that level more than a few minutes, even once. It was drained into the single digits a handful of times, but similarly was always charged immediately if it got below 15%. The vast majority of the time it was cycled between about 80% and 30%, level 2 charging once or twice a week.

Some data I've seen recently seem to indicate that storage temps (climate) are probably a bigger factor in long term battery capacity (colder is better) than frequent DCFC or other factors that we can control.

They charged the loaner to 100%, which almost certainly isn't very good for it, but they were interested in seeing how it affected battery health--I got the sense that they were doing it on purpose (perhaps as a company policy) to get real world data on hard use.

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

They charged my R1S to my normal "daily" limit of 76%

We actually discussed it at some length when I dropped it off--I drove a Tesla model S for eight years prior to the Rivian, and have been pretty OCD about the. battery.

The Tesla, which is still in the family but now lives in Austin, TX with my daughter, has about 8% degradation over that 8+ years..

My model S has been charged to 100% maybe 5 times in its life, to make long legs, and has never been allowed to stay at that level more than a few minutes, even once. It was drained into the single digits a handful of times, but similarly was always charged immediately if it got below 15%. The vast majority of the time it was cycled between about 80% and 30%, level 2 charging once or twice a week.

Some data I've seen recently seem to indicate that storage temps (climate) are probably a bigger factor in long term battery capacity (colder is better) than frequent DCFC or other factors that we can control.

They charged the loaner to 100%, which almost certainly isn't very good for it, but they were interested in seeing how it affected battery health--I got the sense that they were doing it on purpose (perhaps as a company policy) to get real world data on hard use.
That's awesome! MS is a nice vehicle. I can relate to the OCD part...my wife and daughter will also confirm this 😂

krsoundtek

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Great Service center! I have always had good interactions and service from them. When I have received a rental it has always been at 100% as well. That is nice since I use every bit of it to get home.
Sponsored