First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
IT
wife got in a hurry and ripped off the sharkfin Antenna. I see a lot of posts here, but can't get any details. I. amtrying to find any scematics on how the plastic roof panel that has the Antenna in the center attaches to the roof. Can it be popped off? Is it a waterproof component, so that if the antenna cover is off will water intrude into the head liner or is there a metal roof from there?

The damage is cosmetic, and by the other posts sounds very expensive. I have lots of DIY mechanics skills (13 year X5 owner with 250k miles). However I don't want to pop off all of the trim in the back just to find a metal roof.

Does anyone have pics with that plastic off or scematics for parts or assembly?

I can 3M the fin back on, but I was wondering if that unit was waterproof by design or just fastened.
Sponsored

Gee Bee

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Vw tdi golf -chevy SSR-997 Turbo S
Occupation
Design
Create a bead of clear silicone and reinstall

Let cure

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
There is definitely a pic of the shark fin removed somewhere in the forum, although I couldn’t find it with a quick search. It was in one of the Sirius/ XM threads because someone wanted to see if the hardware for satellite radio was in the shark fin (It wasn’t).

OP
OP

fireroasted

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
IT
THanks for the comments. But to clarify, I am looking for pics or information on how the roof panel that the fin is attached to, is fastened to the roof. So a structural visual, so I can identify how that set of components is water seeled. The rear of the panel near the hatch is pulled up slighly, and I can't see how to remove it (if that is possible) to repair or replace any brackets.

Wondering if I need to remove all of the interior headliner and trim pieces to access the bottom of that. Mostly I want to ensure for water tightness.

Sponsored

Joel

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo
On the R1T that whole part with shark fin is bolted and glued. I was told by a remote tech if it has to be removed it is a one time use component due to the water proofing. He also mentioned there are a lot of one time use components on the R1T because they are bolted and glued. Not sure about the R1S though.

OP
OP

fireroasted

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
IT
On the R1T that whole part with shark fin is bolted and glued. I was told by a remote tech if it has to be removed it is a one time use component due to the water proofing. He also mentioned there are a lot of one time use components on the R1T because they are bolted and glued. Not sure about the R1S though.
In that did you happen to get an understanding if the part was decorative or integral in water sealing the cabin? So, if you removed that bolted glued panel water would enter the cab?

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

In that did you happen to get an understanding if the part was decorative or integral in water sealing the cabin? So, if you removed that bolted glued panel water would enter the cab?
All the bolts holding the spoiler down are accessed from in the cabin. It's pretty easy to get access to them, but it also means that if you remove the spoiler, you have to destroy the seal. I would expect the repair here is well beyond the average DIY'er if there is damage beyond the plastic fin piece becoming separated.

The fin looks like it might just be inserted with typical automotive nylon trim fasteners with some kind of a foam seal around it, but you're probably in a better position to determine that.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/276221674354

OP
OP

fireroasted

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
IT
Oh interesting pics in that one. Now I just need those types of pics for the Panel of the R1S, which is not a spoiler, and not that shape, I imagine it mounts in a similar manner with the same components. None of that part looks water sealed. You can see the rubber grommets for the wiring that does enter the cabin for routing.

Rivian R1T R1S Antenna meets garage door 1706632830649

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I think you can actually see a water seal on that part and it does look like a 1 time use thing.

Rivian R1T R1S Antenna meets garage door 1706632830649

Sponsored

Tango45

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, R1S
Clubs

probably just easier to get a new one. wife, I mean.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Oh interesting pics in that one. Now I just need those types of pics for the Panel of the R1S, which is not a spoiler, and not that shape, I imagine it mounts in a similar manner with the same components. None of that part looks water sealed. You can see the rubber grommets for the wiring that does enter the cabin for routing.

1706632830649.png
I haven't tried to pull down the headliner in either of my vehicles, supposedly partly attached with magnets. Should be easy to pull it down and take a look back there.

Joel

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo
What I was told is Rivian has had prev issues with proper sealing for noise and water intrusion without full replacement of the piece behind the glass roof.

i think the thing I was most disappointed in when he was here was all the one time parts on the R1T. for example all the bed cap. Some of the cover of the tailgate., all door trim that is black, trim above the windshield, the entire part with shark fin, and more.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
.. the thing I was most disappointed in was all the one time parts on the R1T. For example all the bed cap. Some of the cover of the tailgate., all door trim that is black, trim above the windshield, the entire part with shark fin, and more.
That's what happens when you go for quick/easy assembly line build using glue and double sided tape vs. screws and bolts. Cheaper and faster to assemble, more expensive for the owner to repair after warranty.
Sponsored