First Name
Alo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'15 Nissan Rogue, '09 Mariner Hybrid
Occupation
RN
Is there anyone in or near Pinal County, AZ with a Compass Yellow Rivian that I could take a look at soon? I am this 🤏🏻 close to finalizing my order, which has been paused, because I really want to be sure of my color choice. I’ve gone back and forth between almost all the colors, and have seen a handful in person. Most recently, I got to finally see Rivian Blue and am now wavering between it and the yellow.

When my guide reached out in mid-April, I mentioned being still on the fence and requesting to visit a nearby service center. I was told “they aren’t set up for that,” and there was really nothing more to the conversation. As excited as I was/am to have my truck, I’ve already conceded in changing from Ocean Coast, so I really didn’t want to compromise on something else.

I was reminded that there is a 7-day return policy and thought to myself, What kind of response is that? Buy this 80k vehicle and return within a week if you don’t like the color, rather than help me arrange a visit, so that I am committed? Clearly, the number of sales are the focus right now, which I get from their perspective, but it doesn’t feel great to be on this end of it.

Multiple times, I was told that the only way to see all the samples, is to go to Venice (400+ miles away). Swatches are not the same as the real deal. Plus, no guarantees on the vehicles they have, anyway, so there’s a possibility to drive for 6 hours and then not even get the chance to see the ONE other color I’m considering. So, after that rant…

Back to my leading question, is there anyone between Phoenix and Tucson with a Compass Yellow that would allow me and my kiddo to take a look? I visited the service center in Phx, and they don’t have any and don’t know if/when they will. Although, they were really kind in allowing us to hang out and get a good look at the ones they did have.

All that said, I have to add that I am fully on board with the R1T and haven’t wavered on that, despite the setbacks. I’ve been waiting for more than 3 years and am SO ready!
Sponsored

OverZealous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2023 R1S Quad-Adventure
Occupation
Product Manager / Front-End Developer
Had the same issue, especially the complete lack of help for seeing the color beforehand. I gambled, and I'm happy with it, but it's definitely not an easy color to capture in photos or describe. It shifts dramatically whether there's sunlight on it or not.

The 7 day return policy is not a replacement for being able to see the color in person. It's a real shame they fall back on that.

I hope you are able to get a chance to see one!

OP
OP
Robot

Robot

First Name
Alo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
RN
Had the same issue, especially the complete lack of help for seeing the color beforehand. I gambled, and I'm happy with it, but it's definitely not an easy color to capture in photos or describe. It shifts dramatically whether there's sunlight on it or not.

The 7 day return policy is not a replacement for being able to see the color in person. It's a real shame they fall back on that.

I hope you are able to get a chance to see one!
Thanks. I know we aren’t the only ones. What color did you end up getting? The field guide in Phoenix said that whatever color I choose I will both be completely happy with AND wish I could have the others. Having seen 7 of the colors, I can see he’s right, but it’s not an unimportant aspect of the decision. I was also told they are working on setting up having at least exterior and interior options at the service centers. Looking forward to that.

OverZealous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
What color did you end up getting?
I gambled on it and got Compass Yellow. I'm very happy with it. It's a unique color unlike any other yellow on the road, and every time I see it I'm a bit surprised (especially in sunlight). I was worried every time someone discussed it. I think it's best to describe it as 3 different colors based on lighting:
  • Pale Gold in the shade
  • Margarine in a neutral environment
  • French's mustard in bright light.
You can walk around it and see different colors. If you didn't see my post from picking up the truck, I have some photos here.

The field guide in Phoenix said that whatever color I choose I will both be completely happy with AND wish I could have the others.
I agree with this. Our next favorite choices were Forest Green (always wanted a dark green vehicle), and Rivian Blue (which wasn't on the table until I saw it in person—I normally don't like blue cars, but RB is something different). Heck, I've never wanted a red car, but then saw Red Canyon in person. I'd even be happy with that.

For me, it's anything that isn't neutral. We've had our Midnight Silver Metallic (basically the same as El Cap Granite) on our Tesla for 7 years, and I really wanted something that stood out.

We actually have an R1S also on order, and I have that currently configured as Forest Green. I think we'll stick with it, but we've discussed going all-in on yellow. We should have a while before that order comes up.

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
Does the 7-day return policy work at all in this scenario? If you don't like the color and return it, do you go back on the top of the list, or do they give you a refund and tell you to place a new order at a much higher price and wait 2 more years?

Sponsored

OverZealous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Does the 7-day return policy work at all in this scenario? If you don't like the color and return it, do you go back on the top of the list, or do they give you a refund and tell you to place a new order at a much higher price and wait 2 more years?
I would highly doubt you get to keep your place, or your pre-March-first discounted price, but I don't really know.

In fact, until someone takes them up on the 7-day offer, I don't think we'll know what happens, and right now if you didn't want the truck, you'd be foolish getting your money back when you could sell it for a $20-30k profit without issue.

They really should figure out a way to send color samples out to anyone who wants to see them. I can't imagine it would cost that much to print some color chips and mail them out. They could even ask for a CC and a deposit they hold onto until you return them. It'd cost what, $20 max to ship them back and forth? I think that would be a massive savings over even a single person returning the vehicle for that reason.

OP
OP
Robot

Robot

First Name
Alo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
RN
I would highly doubt you get to keep your place, or your pre-March-first discounted price, but I don't really know.

In fact, until someone takes them up on the 7-day offer, I don't think we'll know what happens, and right now if you didn't want the truck, you'd be foolish getting your money back when you could sell it for a $20-30k profit without issue.

They really should figure out a way to send color samples out to anyone who wants to see them. I can't imagine it would cost that much to print some color chips and mail them out. They could even ask for a CC and a deposit they hold onto until you return them. It'd cost what, $20 max to ship them back and forth? I think that would be a massive savings over even a single person returning the vehicle for that reason.
I've thought this same thing. Surely, there are some decent sized bits of metal that can be pass along when they roll through the painting cycle.

I thought that the calipers were technically Compass Yellow and the field guide said, "Not exactly," which was the same reply when I asked about the yellow trim behind the Rivian lettering at the sides of the driver door, as well as any of the yellow accents anywhere on the truck. I mentioned that I also thought that the yellow that I have seen on the automated arms within the videos of the manufacturing plant were also Compass Yellow and the reply was, "Well, they are yellow." My whole life is a lie :-/

OverZealous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I've thought this same thing. Surely, there are some decent sized bits of metal that can be pass along when they roll through the painting cycle.

I thought that the calipers were technically Compass Yellow and the field guide said, "Not exactly," which was the same reply when I asked about the yellow trim behind the Rivian lettering at the sides of the driver door, as well as any of the yellow accents anywhere on the truck. I mentioned that I also thought that the yellow that I have seen on the automated arms within the videos of the manufacturing plant were also Compass Yellow and the reply was, "Well, they are yellow." My whole life is a lie :-/
The calipers and other external accents are much brighter yellow than the truck. I was surprised at how much they still provide contrast in person.

I don’t think I’ve seen a vehicle yet that is similar in color since we took delivery.

TeamPJ

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2006 Cadillac XLR-V
Occupation
IT
Clubs