Sponsored

Anyone near Oshkosh/Fond du Lac/Appleton willing to share a wall charger during EAA?

Joe schmoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model S
I typically spend a few days at the EAA convention in Oshkosh the last week in July. I've attended every possible way over the years, flying in and tent camping, borrowing a motorhome, staying with friends in Milwaukee (they've moved), and tent camping with my Tesla.

I'm considering camping with/in the R1S this year, but the non-Tesla charging infrastructure near the airport is pretty thin, and is likely to be overwhelmed with the influx for the EAA.

Is there someone on the forum with a wall charger (or any EVSE) or even a 30 or 50 amp wall plug I could borrow or rent for a few hours while I'm there? Happy to pay even a mildly unreasonable cost for the electricity, in order to be able to run the AC if it's warm or raining. To be clear, I'm not asking to camp in your driveway, just come by every couple of days to top off.
Sponsored

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
I typically spend a few days at the EAA convention in Oshkosh the last week in July. I've attended every possible way over the years, flying in and tent camping, borrowing a motorhome, staying with friends in Milwaukee (they've moved), and tent camping with my Tesla.

I'm considering camping with/in the R1S this year, but the non-Tesla charging infrastructure near the airport is pretty thin, and is likely to be overwhelmed with the influx for the EAA.

Is there someone on the forum with a wall charger (or any EVSE) or even a 30 or 50 amp wall plug I could borrow or rent for a few hours while I'm there? Happy to pay even a mildly unreasonable cost for the electricity, in order to be able to run the AC if it's warm or raining. To be clear, I'm not asking to camp in your driveway, just come by every couple of days to top off.
any luck?

OP
OP
Joe schmoe

Joe schmoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model S
Nothing yet, I also posted on the Tesla forums without a response.

there are a couple of level 2 chargers around Oshkosh, and at least one 50kw CCS at a car dealer. I’m guessing those will be covered up during the EAA.

There are real DCFC stations in Madison and Milwaukee, and some slower CCS at grocery stores or gas stations within an hour, so it’s probably doable. I’ll probably camp in the car one or two nights at home to get a sense of how much power the AC uses. In the Model S, it was about 20-25 miles of (nominal) range, but that didn’t matter because there’s a supercharger at a grocery store just a couple of miles from the campground.

I might just fly and tent camp, but I don’t like parking the current plane on grass. Last year I flew into Madison, got a $39/day Kia off Turo and tent camped.
Sponsored