Sponsored

Article: Aftershocks of the EV transition

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
"Agitate one or the other, let alone both simultaneously, without comprehending or actively planning contingencies for how the countless and frequently fragile interactions between them will be affected, is asking to be unpleasantly surprised by the aftershocks created."

I needed three breaths to read this sentence out loud to myself. This author is wasting more energy than our entire household.

#stopbloviating
Sponsored

TexasBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
"Agitate one or the other, let alone both simultaneously, without comprehending or actively planning contingencies for how the countless and frequently fragile interactions between them will be affected, is asking to be unpleasantly surprised by the aftershocks created."

I needed three breaths to read this sentence out loud to myself. This author is wasting more energy than our entire household.

#stopbloviating
The purposeful perturbations of the reader's sensibilities abound!

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
The purposeful perturbations of the reader's sensibilities abound!
$20 says he folds his clothes before sex, and has an instruction manual just for missionary position and turn out the lights.

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

Global scale changes with an entangled web of considerations can not wait for a big up-front design to be completed before moving forward. There will always be unforeseen complications that can't be solved for in advance. Sometimes the best path forward is to pick a direction and then course correct as necessary based on lessons learned along the way.
I disagree to a large extent. Going forward without a plan is “hope”, which by definition is not a plan. I do agree with the second part of your statement, as the corollary to my first statement is that “No plan survives first contact”.

I think an unfortunate consequence of the Agile methodology is that too many interpret “minimal design” as simply “no design” at all.

Just because you believe that you “can” do a thing doesn’t mean that you “should” do it, without first exploring the downstream implications of the decision, and without stating the level of risk (dollars, time, sentiment, etc.) you’re willing to accept by going down that path.

But, I’m old.
<\$0.02>

Methodology Warz aside, coming back to the thread topic, I’d much rather see the gummn’t mandating pervasive and reliable infrastructure “by 20xx” first, before adopting an “EVs or Bust” stance. Primarily because IMHO the latter will come along naturally if the former is in place.
Sponsored