Sponsored

Back in the R1S after a walk on the ICE side.

Joe schmoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model S
I hadn't driven the R1S in over a week for a variety of reasons.

I did a 1000 mile weekend round trip in my wife's GLC43 SUV because, well 1000 miles over three days and ICE. While at the destination drove our best "beater," a 2005 Mercedes E class wagon that is living out its retirement at a second home.

Back home, I spent a few days cleaning and rehabbing another family beater, a 2001 Honda Odyssey that had been living with a family friend for about 3 years.

All of these are good cars in their own ways, easy and pleasant to drive, reliable and comfortable. The GLC43 is very quick, wagon is a serene cruiser, and the Honda minivan is a reliable, capable appliance of a car.

Satisfied that I had the Honda maintenance and cleaning up to date, I got back into the R1S this morning:

It's easy to forget just how good these Rivians are. The driving dynamics, abundant smooth, quiet torque, and quiet cabin (even the "noisy" AC after the update is quieter than either Mercedes and -much- quieter than the Honda) are really, really good.

I totally understand the complaints that people have, and I have some of the same small issues, but overall these are amazing vehicles, and it just makes me happy to sit in the thing and go somewhere.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Whatever_this_is

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3, Tesla MY
Occupation
Consultant
So the noise level in the R1 is low even compared to some older Mercedes?

freejack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y Performance, Rivian R1S
It's easy to forget just how good these Rivians are. The driving dynamics, abundant smooth, quiet torque, and quiet cabin (even the "noisy" AC after the update is quieter than either Mercedes and -much- quieter than the Honda) are really, really good.
How do you find the wind noise past 65mph? Mine is quite loud.

OP
OP
Joe schmoe

Joe schmoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model S
So the noise level in the R1 is low even compared to some older Mercedes?
I was specifically referring to the AC on full blast, but yes it is quieter in every sense, as would be expected from an EV

OP
OP
Joe schmoe

Joe schmoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model S
How do you find the wind noise past 65mph? Mine is quite loud.
Wind noise is the loudest thing at highway speeds, but it’s not super loud. I do have the issue some others have reported with the roof trim strips sticking up a bit, but mine doesn’t seem to be as bad as some.

Some tire drone (20” AT) as well
Defintely quieter than any of our ICE cars, and a smidgen (I think) quieter than our 2015 Model S
Sponsored