BrianB

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2025 R1S
Clubs

That seems to have been some pretty slick marketing by the Rivian team...I suspect many didn't catch that...

Sprinkled with Dolby Atmos and the "hey....look over here.....not over there" seems to be pretty successful based on comments I have seen in general on various forums...
So, what exactly did they downgrade on the audio?
Sponsored

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
Honestly have not invested much time looking at all the specs and details/prices. But for the money, I'd say biggest downgrade is two fewer motors. The pre-hike price I paid for my Quad, make it seem like a bargain—which helps sooth any FOMO I have on the new gen2-only perks (including AWAK).

Not a downgrade, but I'm curious why they did not go ahead and switch to NACS at this point since the writing is on the wall already. Also, I was really hoping for something with 450+ range, but I digress.... I'm still plenty happy with my QM G1 Launch Edition that cost me 70K.
Cost and supply logistics. They probably have a supply of CCS1 ports already or slated to arrive. Remember, supplier agreements are set once negotiated. Purchase orders signed and paid for. They are contracts. To change plans would be breach of contract, which come with its own expense. Plus, consumers are making too big of a deal out of the port. All other charging networks that have pledge to convert to NACS, only a few have begun that process and in very limited numbers. We will not see widespread NACS adaptation in the real world for at least a few years. Premature and potentially costly for Rivian to adapt now, at a time it is seeking to cut cost, and when most charging opportunities are still CCS1.

Last edited:

RivianRunner

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck DM, F-150, Suzuki DR650
Occupation
Tester
I think you missed the fact Riv E In literally started the post with "To me", which clearly acknowledges it is a personal opinion on a public forum?
You have a point, and I recognize one person's preferences vs. fact. But I think by ending it with the claim that Rivian missed some low-hanging fruit it moves it from the realm of "I wish Rivian had done it differently", to "Rivian messed up".

ccharie

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian RS1; Mercedes EQE
Occupation
Lawyer
My opinion sees it quite different than any downgrades. I tested the 24 G1 R1S QM, loved it and thought the lease offer was remarkable-so I selected it. Now, they have made some non-updatable features on a new model which definitely costs more. Personally, I feel grateful to get any OTA upgrades (legacy manufacturers do not do this historically) and love my great deal. In 3 years this will all seem historic so I’m not chasing these minor updates for major expense. Not yet at least. Everyone is different and that what makes the world unique.

Sponsored

RivianRunner

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Tester
Plus, consumers are making too big of a deal out of the port. All other charging networks that have pledge to convert to NACS, only a few have begun that process and in very limited numbers. We will not see widespread NACS adaptation in the real world for at least a few years.
That's pretty funny, the change to NACS ports on new vehicles will happen quicker than you think. Because consumers always want the latest and greatest. The charging networks will retain a mix of both for a number of years, but the direction is not in doubt. CCS is headed for extinction even if there are still a few fast DC chargers in 2028 that still have CCS cables.

But your claim that we won't see widespread adoption of NACS "in the real world" for a few years can already be proven wrong. NACS is already the Bonafide North American fast DC charging standard based simply on the greater number of NACS fast DC chargers (vs. CCS1) and also the number of EVs already equipped with NACS charge ports (vs. EVs with CCS charge ports).

In other words, the adoption of NACS charge ports and NACS fast DC chargers already exceeds the adoption of CCS in North America, when looked at in an unbiased way, strictly by the numbers. Thanks almost entirely due to how effective Tesla has already been (and will likely continue to be) at accelerating the adoption of adoption of EVs over ICE. This upsets a lot of existing ICE financial interests and Tesla is relentlessly attacked for it. Some people actually buy into the false narratives created to discredit EVs (and especially focused on the EV leader Tesla). Others just like to ignore Tesla, as if NACS isn't already the most prolific standard.

I argued here a year before Ford made the switch that NACS was already the defacto charging standard in North America. That's something many didn't want to hear; some even believed the inferior standard would overtake Tesla's standard. But that was never in the cards, primarily due to all the EV foot-dragging done by legacy auto. The shots are always called by those making the change happen.

RivianRunner

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Tester
My opinion sees it quite different than any downgrades. I tested the 24 G1 R1S QM, loved it and thought the lease offer was remarkable-so I selected it. Now, they have made some non-updatable features on a new model which definitely costs more. Personally, I feel grateful to get any OTA upgrades (legacy manufacturers do not do this historically) and love my great deal. In 3 years this will all seem historic so I’m not chasing these minor updates for major expense. Not yet at least. Everyone is different and that what makes the world unique.
If this is a popular way to look at it, it portends some serious pain for Rivian over the next two years (at least). Because customers upgrading to the latest and greatest model is how an EV company can continue their growth.

DuoRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T and an R1S
Occupation
IT
If this is a popular way to look at it, it portends some serious pain for Rivian over the next two years (at least). Because customers upgrading to the latest and greatest model is how an EV company can continue their growth.
Some will upgrade but there have only been 70-80k R1’s made to date so there is a larger market of people who haven’t bought a Rivian yet and that’s where most of the sales for the next two years will come from. Very few people update their vehicles every two years. Leasing will help them but that only started within the past year.

MasterofWilford

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Gen2 Rivian R1S, BMW iX xDrive50
I was in the same boat but can’t deal with the sub par ride quality of the R1S and noisy cabin. All other upgrades are nice to have.

ccharie

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian RS1; Mercedes EQE
Occupation
Lawyer
I was in the same boat but can’t deal with the sub par ride quality of the R1S and noisy cabin. All other upgrades are nice to have.
Totally understand. I liked the ride on the test drive and it hasn’t changed. Sure, sometimes I feel it could be smoother, and for sure there is some more wind noise than I prefer at higher speed, but I view all of that as getting what I bargained for without any surprises. Everytime I think of complaining I remind myself how reasonably priced this vehicle was to acquire and operate. I named mine Vivian-and she is thirsty for electricity for sure, the A2Z adapter helps and charging mainly at home is lifesaving. To me, all of this reminds me of the internet dial-up phase-kept getting better. I’m certainly glad I leased as I will need to make a decision at some point in time. I’m quite happy with the product. If I bought it at a discount, then I might feel differently as an upgrade would realize a greater trade-in value along with some tax savings on money paid already. Maybe going from a discounted initial purchase (that realized tax credit then) to a lease now with great residuals and another tax credit makes sense. I also think this is such a specific to an individual choice that no one size fits all.
Sponsored