First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Attorney
Has happened to me a few times when wet or dirty. Never happened when just cold. Interior button has always worked when this happens.
Sponsored

kuau

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Retired
It’s been snowing and cold where I am in Utah and when I got home today no luck with the button had to use the screen to open the charger port

mountainman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
My capacitive swap stopped working this weekend and I thought it might be the latest software update but it has been unusually cold here (CO) so will wait to see what happens when it warms up.

TollKeeper

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Rivian R1S, 04 GMC Envoy XUV, 05 Saturn Relay 3
Occupation
Ast HR Director
It's not just you... happened several times to me as well. customer support asked for a video demonstrating the behavior, not sure they believed me. suggested i reboot the truck.

i've been suspicious it's environmental as well, because i'm in a climate which has average annual snowfall of 40+ feet. but still works most of the time super annoying when it doesn't because requires manually opening via center display screen.

I was having issues, until I pressed the unlock button on the FOB, and then the door acted normal.. Just an idea for you to try,

Jeevesbond

First Name
Jb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla y
I was having issues, until I pressed the unlock button on the FOB, and then the door acted normal.. Just an idea for you to try,
guys my capacitative also stopped working. It happened after i updated to the newest software. I wonder if that knocked it out

Sponsored

doit82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, R1T
This happens to me in the cold. Really wish they would add a button in the app to open it.

Jeevesbond

First Name
Jb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla y
Update. Worked this morning when it was in garage. Seems
It is the cold affecting it because charge port is visibly clean in both environments

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
Mine didn't work in the snow and ice while traveling the other day. Pulled into a RAN and couldn't open with the button. Tried the screen, and when I pressed the access menu (truck icon) I just got a black screen. Before trying a reset, I was able to use Alexa to open it and start my charge. Did a reset but still couldn't use the button to close it. The access screen came back though, so I used that to close it. When I got home, the button worked in my garage, and has been working ever since.

Might be a temperature calibration thing with the new update. Was only about 12° when this happened, but last winter had no issues in subzero temperatures. Also haven't had any issues since in the single digit temps. Maybe the reset was needed.

ciderarchitect

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T, 2018 Honda CRV
Occupation
Architect/Contractor
My fender sensor/button started not working for the first time the week after Christmas, when it was mid-thirties and damp. After the new year, the temps plummeted to below zero, things dried out, and it worked for a few weeks, and then now we are back in the mid-thirties again with rain and it isn't working again. Seems like moisture and temperature combine somehow to impact this.

LimestoneSuperior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Corporate
My port is not working. Not with Alexa. Not with fender touch. Not with screen in car.
This makes me so mad that there isn’t a manual option to open the port!!!
If anyone has any tips on how to manually open the port door, please let me know. Service center is over an hour away and probably won’t make it there with the remaining charge. Mobile service is 4 days away and I’m mad.

Cycliste

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T/20AT/2DNU, BMC TMR01/SRAM AXS/454 NSW
Occupation
Amateur aero weenie
Clubs

My actuator needed to be replaced. Rivian had the vehicle Tuesday-Thursday for the repair. Most of that time was for diagnosis, and waiting for the part to be shipped in. There is no manual way to open the charge port door.

Fortunately, I always charge to 70% when I pull into the garage and had plenty of range to get to the service center.

Good luck!
Sponsored