Charge port door not opening

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
Is anyone else experiencing issues with the charge port door not opening when using the capacitive release button on the fender? I find this only happens when it’s cold out, and haven’t yet determined if it’s cold hands or cold button. If I go inside and open it from the main screen, it works 100%. Just trying to figure out if it’s an environment thing or something specific to my truck where I should open a service ticket.
Sponsored

FL_EV

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Occupation
retired
Not sure if it’s the same issue but I live in Florida and every time the temperature would drop below 40 degrees the door would get stuck and not fully push out to open when using the contact switch. Every time mobile tech would come out, temps rose and no issue. The tech felt it could be the actuator that pushes the door out. Just had it replaced at the Orlando SC. Will keep you posted as temps are projected to drop this weekend.

OverZealous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2023 R1S Quad-Adventure
Occupation
Product Manager / Front-End Developer
Never had issues on our trip up to Michigan and back, with temperatures from 30ªF and colder (I don't remember exactly). The truck has had a lot of cold weather testing, too, so I'd assume something is wrong with the truck (or the finger).

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

I haven’t noticed it not working in cold temps but instead when its covered with dirt or ice from driving in winter conditions. It’s worked fine at below 10F temps when it was clean.

Sponsored

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
Only once or twice, but enough for me to have always been concerned that the door and the capacitive touch are over designed for longevity. It's a truck, give me a classic pull tab and hinge any day over this.

MikeySea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model X
Occupation
Gainfully unemployed
It's not just you... happened several times to me as well. customer support asked for a video demonstrating the behavior, not sure they believed me. suggested i reboot the truck.

i've been suspicious it's environmental as well, because i'm in a climate which has average annual snowfall of 40+ feet. but still works most of the time super annoying when it doesn't because requires manually opening via center display screen.

schwartz83

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Subaru Outback
Occupation
Manager
Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. Haven't been able to figure out a pattern. It's been better the past couple of weeks. 🤷

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Yes I have had issues with it 2/3 times recently, long enough to report it once. Even tried a reset to no effect but next day it worked fine.

Joninrye

First Name
jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
Absolutely having the same issue with the capacitive button. Seems to be a recent phenomena and I have yet to figure out the cause. Using the main screen to open the works every time.

Sponsored

MikeySea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model X
Occupation
Gainfully unemployed
wonder if this is an issue from a recent OTA update? I've owned my truck for nearly a year with 11k miles and this problem only started in the last few weeks.

Budman

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda CRV
Clubs

Mine stopped opening or closing even when using the button on the UI. I had to force it open and closed. It would toggle a little bit when pushing the buttons but not open. I used a set of bicycle tire levers to force it open. I've always been worried about this failure mode so I put a set of those tire levers in the center console to have just in case. They are plastic so won't damage the paint.

After manually forcing it a few times it started working normally. I sprayed the actuator shaft with silicon. I will monitor to see how it works as it get's colder (30's right now).

After 1.5 years of ownership and 35,000 miles this is the first issue I have had.... My manual tonneau cover still works fine!

JamuJoe

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAM 2500, Polestar 2, R1T Max Pack Performance
Occupation
Retired Petroleum Engineer
Is anyone else experiencing issues with the charge port door not opening when using the capacitive release button on the fender? I find this only happens when it’s cold out, and haven’t yet determined if it’s cold hands or cold button. If I go inside and open it from the main screen, it works 100%. Just trying to figure out if it’s an environment thing or something specific to my truck where I should open a service ticket.
Mine was experiencing the opposite- not closing completely. Rivian service suggested rebooting the vehicle. I was skeptical, but it worked!
Sponsored