Sponsored

Considering replacing 2023 Launch Edition r1t with 2025 r1t standard pack - Am I crazy?

hinduluv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
r1t launch green
I currently have a Launch Green 2023 Rivian R1T with the 20" all-terrain tires. Although I don't really do off-roading and there aren't any nearby places for it, I still love the truck. However, the build quality is subpar, with gaps everywhere and a lot of wind noise. I'm considering upgrading to the Gen2 with the 22" range, as I would enjoy the more refined ride, quieter cabin, and better cameras. While I would miss the 800hp, I'm not sure how important that is to me. I realize this is subjective, but I'm curious about your thoughts. Is it a crazy idea or reasonable? I expect to get around $62k for mine, and the configured Gen2 is listed at $75k.
Sponsored

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

I would say that if you don't tow, that might be a good upgrade. The fact that you can charge to 100% daily means the actual usable range is even higher for the 25 Dual+Standard+22" than for a 23 Quad+Large+20".

(Towing, I would imagine that the losses due to towing would be high enough, since they're mostly aerodynamic, that the smaller battery would be annoying.)

Scoiatael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
I personally would wait for a proper range test before getting a Standard battery. Who knows how optimistic 270 miles of range is.

Wililye

First Name
Changwoo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, R1S, NV3500
Occupation
Restaurant owner
how about 21" + Dual + Max pack?
My wife rides a 22" Large Quad R1S, while I ride a 21" Large Quad R1T.
I found the driving feel of the 21-inch to be much better than the 22-inch, and there was also a difference of about 20-30 miles in driving range.
If you don't mind that there are only two tire options for the 21-inch Pirelli and Michelin then I think the 21-inch option is also a good choice

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Clubs

Not crazy at all, but I would wait for some real world range, charging reviews. And if you live somewhere with cold weather I would also wait until after winter to see how others fare…

Electrified Outdoors

Site Sponsor
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T Quad, 2024 Rivian R1S Quad
Occupation
Real Estate
Clubs

The only thing that matters is if your satisfied with it. With that said, financially its probably not the best deal with the auto market struggling currently resale is down. You would also be giving up range and performance as well. Like I said though...nobody should tell you your crazy....its your choice. 533 HP and 4.5 second 0-60 is still darn fast for these trucks.

tate16t

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Granite R1S
Occupation
Car Enthusiast
I would wait to see how things with GEN 2 pan out. There are lots of new components that require real world use.

MRE

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Land Rover LR4, Ducati Streetfighter
All depends on your use case, but I'm going with "yes" :). I'm trying to replace my 2022 Adventure with a 2023 or 2024 Adventure. I want to "upgrade" (aka - still have a fully warrantied R1T), but I don't want to surrender the quad motor! Happy shopping!

Anythingbutaminivan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S, R1s, Nissan Leaf
how about 21" + Dual + Max pack?
My wife rides a 22" Large Quad R1S, while I ride a 21" Large Quad R1T.
I found the driving feel of the 21-inch to be much better than the 22-inch, and there was also a difference of about 20-30 miles in driving range.
If you don't mind that there are only two tire options for the 21-inch Pirelli and Michelin then I think the 21-inch option is also a good choice
I have driven both the R1S on 21s and a loaner R1T on 20s for over a month. I believe the difference in ride quality is primarily due to the longer wheelbase of the R1T. The extra inch of rubber helps but not significantly.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Anythingbutaminivan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S, R1s, Nissan Leaf
If I were in your shoes, I'd keep what I have. Sales tax is another 5k, I'm not eligible for the $3750 ev tax credit (discount at point of purchase), then suffer initial depreciation all over again. So it would have cost me ~20k (+more if you financed and paid interest) to drive the 2023 launch edition for ~12-18 months vs amortizing it over 5-7 years (I'm not sure how long you usually hold in to your vehicles and how many miles you drive annually). Also check the warranty of the 2025 models. Quad motor R1s received a 5 year bumper to bumper warranty, Enduro 4 years if I'm not mistaken.

I'd try to have Rivian address the panel gaps and wind noise that are outside of spec at the service center.

Again, no one should call you crazy, if this is what you want then you do you. Just my 2 cents.

sirna7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, GLE, Pending R1S Tri Ascend Max
I currently have a Launch Green 2023 Rivian R1T with the 20" all-terrain tires. Although I don't really do off-roading and there aren't any nearby places for it, I still love the truck. However, the build quality is subpar, with gaps everywhere and a lot of wind noise. I'm considering upgrading to the Gen2 with the 22" range, as I would enjoy the more refined ride, quieter cabin, and better cameras. While I would miss the 800hp, I'm not sure how important that is to me. I realize this is subjective, but I'm curious about your thoughts. Is it a crazy idea or reasonable? I expect to get around $62k for mine, and the configured Gen2 is listed at $75k.
Do it! The longer you wait, the less your current Gen 1 will be worth, as the gaps are already widening to no end.

Plus, have fun trying out new colors! 💙

Goose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 4Runner
Occupation
Clinical Research
I would say that if you don't tow, that might be a good upgrade. The fact that you can charge to 100% daily means the actual usable range is even higher for the 25 Dual+Standard+22" than for a 23 Quad+Large+20".

(Towing, I would imagine that the losses due to towing would be high enough, since they're mostly aerodynamic, that the smaller battery would be annoying.)
I am waiting for towing data on the standard pack.

Schroederhc

First Name
Bub
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
1. Your money your call
2. Waiting a bit will give you more info
3. The certified Rivian used car program should help at some point (retain value)
4. If you're like me (impulsive)I do it when I want to, go for it

ndmiller

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Incoming
Occupation
Retailler
Clubs

While I would miss the 800hp, I'm not sure how important that is to me.
Anything over 400HP is pretty darn quick with instant torque, I'm sure 500+ will be fine. Mine makes me queasy if I really get on it.
Sponsored