Sponsored

Cybertruck. The beauty isn’t even skin deep.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
I've often wondered if the CT designers used to work for TetraPak, designing homogenizers.

Rivian R1T R1S Cybertruck.  The beauty isn’t even skin deep. 1703478409244
Sponsored

BeanEW

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Retired
Although I'm no suspension expert, but I'm not impressed with it In the video, did the roof of the car hit the crossbar of the lift? And then he lowered it down a bit.

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
So just saw a review showing the cybertruck with its wheels off on a lift. This is truly sad as it is nothing compared to a Rivian! Cost cutting isn’t hidden at all and is slaps the founding members paying 120k in the face.

Like everyone else , at first glance I truly was impressed that the cybertruck had 800 volt architecture and 48v low voltage, steer by wire and 4 wheel steering.

However I was conflicted as I thought it was ugly as hell and not the future of what I’m wanted to stare out in my garage but now they took its wheels off and showed her on a lift. The analogy is kind of like the quiet person in the room that starts talking and removes all doubt about their stupidity.

impressions.
- front suspension is like a model s passenger car just taller.. It is not the beautiful forged aluminum Rivian purpose built off road suspension.
- front swaybar is huge and conventional, not suited to articulation like the Rivian hydraulic McLaren supercar inspired swaybar less suspension that can be firm in sport mode and then be nothing in rock crawl.
- front calipers are not even finished just raw unfinished material.
- no skid plate or off road protection underneath, the reviewing In company said they like Tesla would offer bolt on skid plates for those that wanted to go off road,. However what will they and Tesla offer to really make it have off road capability’s? Like sway bar disconnects or some solution to offer the missing off road articulation?
- rear suspension had stamped steel lower arms, Again cheap and not the forged aluminum off road and on road Rivian design, just cheap!
- rear calipers look like they are sand cast and off some other small low end Tesla.

the above combined with them fact the cyber truck is less efficient then Rivian makes me doubt Tesla range claims. This is a vehicle that it appears all the money went into the ugly stainless body and drive by wire steering. But it has a more then 10 percent smaller battery kw capacity and cost cutting throughout. ( you want a compressor to air down pay extra, You want max pack, pay 15k extra and lose 33 percent of the bed permanently while we pay Rivian the patent for range extenders. This is the cyber joke, it is a sedan with the ugliest Tesla vision of what an ugly future truck would look like.

at this point my initial optimism for the cybertruck has be replaced by admiration for Rivians approach to quality and superior on and off road capabilities.
Like me, you must have watched the T sportline videos… link below so other can see just how chintzy the Cybertruck really is!

Merry Christmas, and to all a good night!
@EV Sportline

Rivian R1T R1S Cybertruck.  The beauty isn’t even skin deep. IMG_0188

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
So just saw a review showing the cybertruck with its wheels off on a lift. This is truly sad as it is nothing compared to a Rivian! Cost cutting isn’t hidden at all and is slaps the founding members paying 120k in the face.

Like everyone else , at first glance I truly was impressed that the cybertruck had 800 volt architecture and 48v low voltage, steer by wire and 4 wheel steering.

However I was conflicted as I thought it was ugly as hell and not the future of what I’m wanted to stare out in my garage but now they took its wheels off and showed her on a lift. The analogy is kind of like the quiet person in the room that starts talking and removes all doubt about their stupidity.

impressions.
- front suspension is like a model s passenger car just taller.. It is not the beautiful forged aluminum Rivian purpose built off road suspension.
- front swaybar is huge and conventional, not suited to articulation like the Rivian hydraulic McLaren supercar inspired swaybar less suspension that can be firm in sport mode and then be nothing in rock crawl.
- front calipers are not even finished just raw unfinished material.
- no skid plate or off road protection underneath, the reviewing In company said they like Tesla would offer bolt on skid plates for those that wanted to go off road,. However what will they and Tesla offer to really make it have off road capability’s? Like sway bar disconnects or some solution to offer the missing off road articulation?
- rear suspension had stamped steel lower arms, Again cheap and not the forged aluminum off road and on road Rivian design, just cheap!
- rear calipers look like they are sand cast and off some other small low end Tesla.

the above combined with them fact the cyber truck is less efficient then Rivian makes me doubt Tesla range claims. This is a vehicle that it appears all the money went into the ugly stainless body and drive by wire steering. But it has a more then 10 percent smaller battery kw capacity and cost cutting throughout. ( you want a compressor to air down pay extra, You want max pack, pay 15k extra and lose 33 percent of the bed permanently while we pay Rivian the patent for range extenders. This is the cyber joke, it is a sedan with the ugliest Tesla vision of what an ugly future truck would look like.

at this point my initial optimism for the cybertruck has be replaced by admiration for Rivians approach to quality and superior on and off road capabilities.
While I agree with many of your observations, the big question is whether Rivian will ever, like really, ever be able to make dollar one on the R1's due to the high cost of production and low volume. Meanwhile, Tesla, while yes, things like a stamped part vs cast may be less elegant to the eye, it's cheaper, out of sight, and does the same job. If Tesla is able to sell large volumes like many think they can, they will be able to lower the price substantially and still make margin while everyone else is losing money on EV's.

zgStevieD

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T & OneWheel XR
Occupation
Oilfield Trash
Please stop misquoting Elon. Like the sign says, it's not an "exoskeleton", it's an "exosekelton".

:p
Literally had to scroll back up to see that! OMFG… spellcheck is free Tesla!!! 😂

Sponsored

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
The Tesla Cybertruck is rumored to receive 10k reservations per week since the production reveal on 11/30.

The Cybertruck will keep the Austin assembly line and the future Mexico assembly plant humming along for many, many years. There is clearly a demand for the polarizing Cybertruck.

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
Naive Nelly was attacked by a huge guy and he started ripping off her clothes.

But she laughed and laughed.

Cause she knew her clothes would not fit him.

Ecupip

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Audi, and 2 Jeeps
While I agree with many of your observations, the big question is whether Rivian will ever, like really, ever be able to make dollar one on the R1's due to the high cost of production and low volume. Meanwhile, Tesla, while yes, things like a stamped part vs cast may be less elegant to the eye, it's cheaper, out of sight, and does the same job. If Tesla is able to sell large volumes like many think they can, they will be able to lower the price substantially and still make margin while everyone else is losing money on EV's.
It will be very interesting to see actual sales numbers. I think demand will be far less than many of us expect. I noticed most YouTube views are pathetically low (except for popular influencers, but their views come from general subscribers, not so much interested buyers) for any new car, let alone one that’s supposed to be wildly popular.

Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Reservations were once touted by Tesla to be 2 million. Then in the last earnings call before CT release, Tesla (Elon) said they had 1 million reservations.

It will be interesting to see if any number is quoted in the next earnings call. There should be a line on that in Vegas.....

Sponsored

Supratachophobia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S
Clubs

The Tesla Cybertruck is rumored to receive 10k reservations per week since the production reveal on 11/30.

The Cybertruck will keep the Austin assembly line and the future Mexico assembly plant humming along for many, many years. There is clearly a demand for the polarizing Cybertruck.
Where's that info coming from again....?

They are going to plow through their vastly reduced reservations and then they'll be done. Just like Crocs.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE

They are going to plow through their vastly reduced reservations and then they'll be done. Just like Crocs.

Doesn't Elon wish...

Rivian R1T R1S Cybertruck.  The beauty isn’t even skin deep. Screenshot_20240101_012015

Jdcorbitt3

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T Quad motor CR 2021 Tesla Model Y Perf
Occupation
Pilot
Clubs

Although I'm no suspension expert, but I'm not impressed with it In the video, did the roof of the car hit the crossbar of the lift? And then he lowered it down a bit.
He lowered the lift to engage the mechanical locks. You don’t want the possibility of a hydraulic failure of the lift while you are under a 7000lb vehicle.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
The ONLY thin

The ONLY thing the CT and Crocs have in common is that they are both fugly. But sure, go ahead compare revenues using two completely unrelated products, why not?
Sponsored