First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘23 R1S Launch Edition, ‘20 eTron Chronos Edition
Clubs

Rivian R1T R1S DIY - Lower Front Bumper Fascia Removal/Paint IMG_4589

TL;DR - I scraped up the silver fascia below the main bumper. Rather than costly repair for high wear area, I removed, sanded, and painted it. Photo above is after.

Before photos:
Rivian R1T R1S DIY - Lower Front Bumper Fascia Removal/Paint IMG_4465

Rivian R1T R1S DIY - Lower Front Bumper Fascia Removal/Paint IMG_4466

Rivian R1T R1S DIY - Lower Front Bumper Fascia Removal/Paint IMG_4467

Rivian R1T R1S DIY - Lower Front Bumper Fascia Removal/Paint IMG_4514

Rivian R1T R1S DIY - Lower Front Bumper Fascia Removal/Paint IMG_4515

More After Photos:
Rivian R1T R1S DIY - Lower Front Bumper Fascia Removal/Paint IMG_4590

Rivian R1T R1S DIY - Lower Front Bumper Fascia Removal/Paint IMG_4587

Rivian R1T R1S DIY - Lower Front Bumper Fascia Removal/Paint IMG_4588

Rivian R1T R1S DIY - Lower Front Bumper Fascia Removal/Paint IMG_4582

Tools/Supplies:

Rivian R1T R1S DIY - Lower Front Bumper Fascia Removal/Paint IMG_4591

Rivian R1T R1S DIY - Lower Front Bumper Fascia Removal/Paint IMG_4556

Tools List:
Torx Set (3 different bit sizes)
Nut driver
Short angled handle ratchet screwdriver (tight space)
Ratchet driver
Trim puller set
Black textured bedliner spray paint
Sandpaper

Steps:

Rivian R1T R1S DIY - Lower Front Bumper Fascia Removal/Paint IMG_4542

1. Remover rubber cover directly behind the lower fascia with different size Torx bits (20 total). The front four tie into the lower fascia.

Rivian R1T R1S DIY - Lower Front Bumper Fascia Removal/Paint IMG_4512
Rivian R1T R1S DIY - Lower Front Bumper Fascia Removal/Paint IMG_4581
2. Remove lowest two screws holding front wheel well covers. This will allow you to pull the cover back to expose the machine screws (one on each side) attaching the fascia to the frame. This is a tight space, so you can only ratchet it out a quarter turn each time.

Rivian R1T R1S DIY - Lower Front Bumper Fascia Removal/Paint IMG_4545
3. These four tabs on the fascia are held in place by four white plastic retaining tabs (see next step).

Rivian R1T R1S DIY - Lower Front Bumper Fascia Removal/Paint IMG_4509

Rivian R1T R1S DIY - Lower Front Bumper Fascia Removal/Paint IMG_4507

Rivian R1T R1S DIY - Lower Front Bumper Fascia Removal/Paint IMG_4536

4. Remove 4 retaining clips holding the fascia tabs in place. The third picture is a close up next to the removed fascia. These will come out easier if a helper can apply upwards pressure on the fascia while you are wiggling them out. These are kind of a pain because you are elbow deep working blind while propped up on your other elbow. (How’s that core strength?!)

Rivian R1T R1S DIY - Lower Front Bumper Fascia Removal/Paint IMG_4545

5. Okay
here’s the Big Boss at the end of the game. The front part of the fascia is held in place by no less than 10 tabs that are almost identical to the bastard tabs holding the hitch cover in place. This is where the trim pullers are essential. There is almost no space to get behind or grab the fascia to pull it forward. Use cardboard to protect the glossy bumper as you work your way from one side to the other. No two ways about it - have to be super aggressive. Once you pop the first one, the other are a smidge easier. (I watched the Munro Live frunk tear down, but wasn’t confident that would allow easier access to these, and would most likely add a lot more steps removing the frunk liner.) Make sure you have something to super the fascia so it doesn’t droop while you are getting past the mid line. I did not and the fascia kind of warped and partially tore the last two tabs. Don’t worry - there are at least a few on eBay if you completely botch it!

All that’s left is to sand and paint, and reverse the steps (infinitely easier). I was amazed at how well the bedliner texture and black color perfectly matched the adjacent rubber bumper parts. When I scrape this area again, it will be a quick touch up job.

Good Luck!

Rivian R1T R1S DIY - Lower Front Bumper Fascia Removal/Paint IMG_4582
Sponsored

Last edited:

PappaBolt

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Corvette, 911
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

Nicely done and a great write-up that will help others. For a part that’s likely to get dinged a lot if you’re adventurous, it sure seems a pain to remove.

I wonder how much a replacement panel would cost. There’s probably a third-party market opportunity for something more durable.

Cgreenlaw78

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model 3
Occupation
VP client services
Nicely done and a great write-up that will help others. For a part that’s likely to get dinged a lot if you’re adventurous, it sure seems a pain to remove.

I wonder how much a replacement panel would cost. There’s probably a third-party market opportunity for something more durable.
Great question and I can tell you :)
613 bucks installed. Having it done in Jan

OP
OP
Si.LE.R1S

Si.LE.R1S

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘23 R1S Launch Edition, ‘20 eTron Chronos Edition
Clubs

Great question and I can tell you :)
613 bucks installed. Having it done in Jan
That’s great news! Can you share details? A couple used replacement are listed on eBay for $300-500, so that price is really attractive once I FUBAR mine.

I was thinking of taking both pieces to a local off-road shop to see what they thought. I think EV Sportline replied over a year ago that they looked into it but didn’t find sufficient hard mounting sites for a true skid plate. I’d be happy with anything than the current soft plastic, that could at least withstand a steep approach on gravel.

Vegoelectric

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Volkswagen ID4
Do you have any pictures of the cavity without the facia installed? I was curious if removal would allow inspection for mounting a front receiver to the frame...or manipulation of the tow loops...
Sponsored