Sponsored

Driver+ Enabled / Mapped on Which Highways ?

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
How does Driver+ "maps" get updated? Is is part of software updates in the release notes?
Sponsored

RBR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S preorder holder; '14 JGC,'20 Subaru Crosstrek
Seattle area: I-5, 16, 3, 167

I can confirm the 512 eastbound and 101 (Hood Canal area) are not mapped yet.
But not 405 or you just haven't checked. Thanks for confirming

*sits and waits for R1S to magically appear in driveway*

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
But not 405 or you just haven't checked. Thanks for confirming

*sits and waits for R1S to magically appear in driveway*
405 is. As is 509. 167 is. 169 is not.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
How does Driver+ "maps" get updated? Is is part of software updates in the release notes?
Just a guess here, but I suspect they sneak in driver+ map updates on the fly. Same with the regular map and route planning logic.

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
Just a guess here, but I suspect they sneak in driver+ map updates on the fly. Same with the regular map and route planning logic.
Which kind of stinks, because I'd love to know as it expands. I've actually let my feeling be known on multiple occasions that the pre-mapping requirement irks me.

I say this again as my $23k Nissan Leaf outshines it in just about every way right now.

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Which kind of stinks, because I'd love to know as it expands. I've actually let my feeling be known on multiple occasions that the pre-mapping requirement irks me.
Yeah, I very much think they should have a live map posted or available so you can see what is mapped, and see it grow. It would be cool (assuming it is) and helpful.

I'm torn on it. I wish that it would default back to something similar to what you get with pilot assist with Volvo, but I also get why they're going the route of a system that is mapped. At least in my experience, where it is mapped it tends to be really confident in a lot of situations where the other systems I've used just fail.

There are also some quirks that it has that I've let Rivian known about that I'm hoping they fix quickly. They're mostly just object identification things like think we have toll *booths* in the Seattle area so it tells you to take over, when in fact we only have automated tolling systems.

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
Yeah, I very much think they should have a live map posted or available so you can see what is mapped, and see it grow. It would be cool (assuming it is) and helpful.

I'm torn on it. I wish that it would default back to something similar to what you get with pilot assist with Volvo, but I also get why they're going the route of a system that is mapped. At least in my experience, where it is mapped it tends to be really confident in a lot of situations where the other systems I've used just fail.

There are also some quirks that it has that I've let Rivian known about that I'm hoping they fix quickly. They're mostly just object identification things like think we have toll *booths* in the Seattle area so it tells you to take over, when in fact we only have automated tolling systems.
Would basic "lane centering" and "adaptive cruise control" be too much to ask though -- anywhere?

I do suspect they have a separate team working on this and hopefully they will announce awesome updates soon, but I expect it to move slow. In the meantime, the odds of this working across Canada, Mexico, or Alaska seem like zero to me. pre-mapped systems will struggle with outside US expansion.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Would basic "lane centering" and "adaptive cruise control" be too much to ask though -- anywhere?

I do suspect they have a separate team working on this and hopefully they will announce awesome updates soon, but I expect it to move slow. In the meantime, the odds of this working across Canada, Mexico, or Alaska seem like zero to me. pre-mapped systems will struggle with outside US expansion.
Just to clarify, they do have adaptive cruise anywhere. What you don't have is basic cruise control. Which is a really interesting decision IMO.

To be honest, the lane keep (not lane centering.... I may have the terms backwards) that it does have is overly aggressive and I've turned it off. So it may also simply be a case of that feature not being ready yet. Which seems surprising, but we just did get a garage door opener 4 weeks ago. lol.

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
Just to clarify, they do have adaptive cruise anywhere. What you don't have is basic cruise control. Which is a really interesting decision IMO.

To be honest, the lane keep (not lane centering.... I may have the terms backwards) that it does have is overly aggressive and I've turned it off. So it may also simply be a case of that feature not being ready yet. Which seems surprising, but we just did get a garage door opener 4 weeks ago. lol.
That's weird. Again, I can drive my leave from Gold Bar to Leavenworth and only steer on the corners that are 45mph or less. Centers (and turns) just fine.

But really, it's mainly useful for not drifting outside of a lane on some boring rural 2-lane straight road.

All the other driver+ (or Tesla autopilot) stuff is kind of pointless. However keeping it centered and full stop/start in traffic is really nice.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
All the other driver+ (or Tesla autopilot) stuff is kind of pointless. However keeping it centered and full stop/start in traffic is really nice.
Yeah, I agree. I'd really liked to have it on 169 out by Black Diamond today for example.

Start stop is significantly more natural than Volvo or VW's systems, and I find it really good in fairly tight curves even at high speeds. No joke I called my wife last week after while driving from Monroe for what felt like the 200th time back to Renton recently just to talk about how nice Driver+ is in stop and go traffic. Our XC60 feels like it's suicidal half the time, and the VW required a lot more user intervention in stop/go.

Sponsored

prestapost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 RAM 1500, 2022 Rivian R1T
Whatā€™s involved in mapping highways? It would be super cool if they could set up a way to allow volunteers to help map roads.

shumdit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 and countingā€¦.
Clubs

In South Carolina the screen says ā€œjust keep your hands on the wheel hillbilly!ā€ when you try to engage it.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Whatā€™s involved in mapping highways? It would be super cool if they could set up a way to allow volunteers to help map roads.
There is special hardware used that normal people donā€™t have.

Rivian R1T R1S Driver+ Enabled / Mapped on Which Highways ? 056824DE-2796-449E-9124-67918BF0FA00

fun backstory, the R1T was originally going to have LIDAR included in the front bumper, near the tow hooksā€¦. But Rivian decided not to include it. Iā€™ve seen interviews where ā€˜costā€˜ was cited as a reason. Around the same time their website also softened the verbiage on Driver+ capability.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I wish the map in the center screen could show which roads were mapped ā€” similar to how traffic is displayed.

prestapost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 RAM 1500, 2022 Rivian R1T
There is special hardware used that normal people donā€™t have.
It would be super cool if theyā€™d set up a program to loan volunteers the equipment, if they training isnā€™t too overwhelming, to map roads for them.
Sponsored