Sponsored

(EV) Alternative Fuel Corridor Round 6 Nominations

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
I hadn't seen this until now, but FHWA announced the Round 6 EV corridor designations. This is important because corridor designation is part of the process for states to get federal funds (including those from the bipartisan infrastructure law's NEVI program). The "ready" corridors already meet the standards but can get additional investment for improvement. The "pending" corridors have a plan for getting to ready status. Quick version of the requirements for designation as an EV corridor under Round 6: stations no further apart than 50 miles, at least 4 CCS chargers per station, at least 150 kWh per charger.

https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/environment/alternative_fuel_corridors/afc_6_designation_memo.cfm

Here's their GIS map of Rounds 1-6: https://hepgis.fhwa.dot.gov/fhwagis...n|Electric+Vehicle+(EV-Round+1,2,3,4,5+and+6)

I'm personally disappointed that NC didn't designate US-441 from GA to NC. That's an important corridor for accessing GSMNP and the southern edge of the BRP. Thankfully Rivian should be doing RAN stations in that area!

edit: it looks like the map filter isn’t working right on my iPhone, so it ends up showing the entire National Highway System. That’s quite annoying. Maybe these links to the text corridor designations will work: (these are just the round 6 changes, btw. Links on the left will show you previous rounds)

pending: https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/environment/alternative_fuel_corridors/pending/

ready: https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/environment/alternative_fuel_corridors/ready/
Sponsored

Last edited:

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

Wow South Carolina.....way to go.

miasm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Disappointed not to see US-550 designated by NM. That's a big gaping charging hole currently (having just drove it).

OP
OP

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Wow South Carolina.....way to go.
I'm not entirely sure what you're cheering for. They've designated only the interstates. Look at states like Colorado, Idaho, and even Florida, which are planning corridors on a bunch of US highways in addition to their interstates. That's the real dream! Georgia is at least aiming for 2 US highways.

It is worth noting that this round of designations will not likely be the final map after all of the NEVI money is spent, but it's the minimum barrier to entry for getting that money this fiscal year.

Davethadog

First Name
YaMa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Trucks, bikes, excavators
Does Wyoming just want to be left alone or something?

Sponsored

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

I'm not entirely sure what you're cheering for. They've designated only the interstates. Look at states like Colorado, Idaho, and even Florida, which are planning corridors on a bunch of US highways in addition to their interstates. That's the real dream! Georgia is at least aiming for 2 US highways.

It is worth noting that this round of designations will not likely be the final map after all of the NEVI money is spent, but it's the minimum barrier to entry for getting that money this fiscal year.
Was probably sarcasm....

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

I was being sarcastic about the fact that SC is possibly one of the worst states in the country for nominations.

OP
OP

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I was being sarcastic about the fact that SC is possibly one of the worst states in the country for nominations.
At least it isn't SD, which hadn't nominated a single EV corridor until Round 6?

Unfortunately, SC and TN are two of the states that did not add a single nomination in Round 6. I guess means they've made no significant progress toward any "ready" corridors and will be using all of the NEVI funds this year (and possibly future years) just getting up to a bare minimum. TN does have a few "ready" corridors, but they've got a lot of mileage to go to get up to their current network plan.

fergie

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
05 4Runner, 22 Kia EV6
Does Wyoming just want to be left alone or something?
Definitely oil/coal friendly. But to be fair, it is so sparsely populated that it would be quite the challenge to get EV chargers every 50 miles outside the interstates. Even on the interstates could be a challenge.

Sponsored

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

At least it isn't SD, which hadn't nominated a single EV corridor until Round 6?

Unfortunately, SC and TN are two of the states that did not add a single nomination in Round 6. I guess means they've made no significant progress toward any "ready" corridors and will be using all of the NEVI funds this year (and possibly future years) just getting up to a bare minimum. TN does have a few "ready" corridors, but they've got a lot of mileage to go to get up to their current network plan.
My hope is that Polestar manufacturing vehicles at the Berkely County plant will expedite some infrastructure for at least the Lowcountry. I'd think SC would at least want to do something with 17 to encourage people to use it as an alternative to I-95 and stop through on their way down to FL.

OP
OP

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
My hope is that Polestar manufacturing vehicles at the Berkely County plant will expedite some infrastructure for at least the Lowcountry. I'd think SC would at least want to do something with 17 to encourage people to use it as an alternative to I-95 and stop through on their way down to FL.
And it looks like NC added 17 to their Round 6 "pending" corridor list, so there'd be some continuity there.
Sponsored