Sponsored

Excess condensation on windshield

tyfly867

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
370z, Chevy Suburban
On high humidity days/nights, or anytime it rains, I am getting constant condensation on the lower portion of the outside of the windshield. I am having to use the wipers to dissipate it, only for it to reappear within moments. The defog feature isn’t keeping it away and I haven’t had this problem in any other car I’ve been in before, so I wouldn’t call it “normal”

My suspicion is that there is cool air blowing on the lower section, which has a cooling effect on that section of the glass which when it comes in contact with the warmer moist air, cools it, causing the suspended moisture to condense. A normal ICE, I suspect, would give off residual heat sufficient enough to prevent this from happening.

So…seeing as I’m unable to control the weather, what would be a good way to mitigate this phenomenon?

Thanks for any good input.
Sponsored

Akay07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mache
On high humidity days/nights, or anytime it rains, I am getting constant condensation on the lower portion of the outside of the windshield. I am having to use the wipers to dissipate it, only for it to reappear within moments. The defog feature isn’t keeping it away and I haven’t had this problem in any other car I’ve been in before, so I wouldn’t call it “normal”

My suspicion is that there is cool air blowing on the lower section, which has a cooling effect on that section of the glass which when it comes in contact with the warmer moist air, cools it, causing the suspended moisture to condense. A normal ICE, I suspect, would give off residual heat sufficient enough to prevent this from happening.

So…seeing as I’m unable to control the weather, what would be a good way to mitigate this phenomenon?

There is cold air blowing on the front windshield. I have a ticket submitted on this. I want to say I read somewhere on here that Rivian is aware of this issue.

opnwide

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S delivered 2/2023

Rivian R1T R1S Excess condensation on windshield 4DDD7609-FAF3-4169-9A10-FF9EF7FD6AAE
Is this what you’re talking about? I snap-shotted this off some YouTuber’s video. Looks like you’re not alone.

OP
OP
tyfly867

tyfly867

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
370z, Chevy Suburban
4DDD7609-FAF3-4169-9A10-FF9EF7FD6AAE.jpeg
Is this what you’re talking about? I snap-shotted this off some YouTuber’s video. Looks like you’re not alone.
Yup that’s exactly it.

Sponsored

Trekkie

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ID.4, 2022 Polestar 2, 2023.5 Defender 110
Occupation
IT Nerd
I mean to be fair, just about any car does this in high humidity when the cold air hits the windshield and the dew point happens, was going on in my Polestar 2 yesterday just after a heavy rain/hot day/high humidity.

Windshield wipers get rid of it.

Unless there is something messed up with the defroster and it's running 24x7 on cold I don't know how much you can do to fix it.

OP
OP
tyfly867

tyfly867

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
370z, Chevy Suburban
Unless there is something messed up with the defroster and it's running 24x7 on cold I don't know how much you can do to fix it.
That could be it actually.

ResidualReality

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500 Limited
Occupation
CTO
That could be it actually.
agreed. Mine does this and I'm in north Texas which is typically not humid. No other car I've had does this regularly.

krsoundtek

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Mine (4xxx) does this as well but only noticed it in the last few months and not last summer. Someone mentioned that have seen it on ICE vechiles when the cabin air filter needs replacing. I have asked about replacement air filter but not heard back. I noticed in a loaner (12xxx) that it makes a small motor like noise occasionally when AC changes. I replicated it by enabling/disabling the defog mode. It also closes the lower front vents which have a slightly different motor noise. I suspect they have added some type of damper on the vent near the windshield where I normally see the outside condensation. Since mine didn't do it the first year it makes me wonder if older VINs have it but some are not working correctly? Maybe I just didn't notice/remember the condensation last year.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
This started happening when we got the option to turn on/off the windshield vent several updates back.

Sponsored

Golfer04

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Finance
This started happening when we got the option to turn on/off the windshield vent several updates back.
I just had this fixed when it was in for the last recall. The software quits allowing the vents to shut off. Evidently is an easy fix. Might be done OTA if you check.

nellbarr

First Name
Nelida
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 rivian R1S
Occupation
Realtor
I mean to be fair, just about any car does this in high humidity when the cold air hits the windshield and the dew point happens, was going on in my Polestar 2 yesterday just after a heavy rain/hot day/high humidity.

Windshield wipers get rid of it.

I am in South Florida and it requires that I have my wipers on drizzle it gets so bad. Can you turn on windshield vents? And if so-HOW please?
Sponsored