First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
He skillfully didn't take the bait on the multiple Elon questions. Nicely done.

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
Interesting how RJ never gives any credit or thanks to his father who is a wealthy engineer and entrepreneur. How does one take a “second” mortgage on a home he somehow purchased after years and years of only being a student and yet had enough equity in it to then take a second mortgage? None of his story he has repeated for years adds up.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Interesting how RJ never gives any credit or thanks to his father who is a wealthy engineer and entrepreneur. How does one take a “second” mortgage on a home he somehow purchased after years and years of only being a student and yet had enough equity in it to then take a second mortgage? None of his story he has repeated for years adds up.
Yes, interesting. It's almost as if houses have appreciated in value significantly in the last several decades.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Really? He said in this interview he took a second mortgage on his house and his dad did the same.

“Some of the first investment was leveraging a house that I had. My dad did the same. My dad refinanced the house he had, and two of us put some money in, which at the time seemed like a lot. But now I realize that was just a speck of a seed, if you will.”

Clearly though his ability to raise the billions in capital is what allowed them to get to a point of having something to deliver.

Sponsored

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
Yes, interesting. It's almost as if houses have appreciated in value significantly in the last several decades.
Your not following…if you actually do some digging into RJ’s past, not saying it’s necessarily bad but his definitely not honest or forthright . His father Robert Scaringe who’s a multi-millionaire, super smart engineer with tons of patents, helped young RJ greatly. Robert Sr. owns Mainstream Engineering…right…RJ’s second failed company was Mainstream Motors housed at his Dads company. Before any condescending comments, please do your homework 😉

cjbot3000

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Clubs

I found this interview painful to watch with all the desperate baiting from GQ.

I only wish there were thoughts of more substance re: UAW, but I get why the generic corpo answer. Was just hoping for something new.

And I hope Rivian doesn't take TOO much from Bezos with regard to being a responsible corporate citizen...

The interview with the kid podcasters was infinitely more valuable

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Your not following…if you actually do some digging into RJ’s past, not saying it’s necessarily bad but his definitely not honest or forthright . His father Robert Scaringe who’s a multi-millionaire, super smart engineer with tons of patents, helped young RJ greatly. Robert Sr. owns Mainstream Engineering…right…RJ’s second failed company was Mainstream Motors housed at his Dads company. Before any condescending comments, please do your homework 😉
I truly don't understand what your point is here.

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

so he's dishonest because his dad helped fund his company when it was founded? I don't follow. I don't think RJ has ever said that he did it all on his own and he's a self made person without any help from anyone. Having a successful parent who was willing to help and had the resources to do so should not be disparaged, I think it's something every parent aspires to be able to do for their own child.

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
so he's dishonest because his dad helped fund his company when it was founded? I don't follow. I don't think RJ has ever said that he did it all on his own and he's a self made person without any help from anyone. Having a successful parent who was willing to help and had the resources to do so should not be disparaged, I think it's something every parent aspires to be able to do for their own child.
Yes, Absolutely agree. I’ve followed RJ and Rivian for years…yes, his father has helped him immeasurably and yet every interview is very polished and canned and all about RJ…same story. Never a mention of his father helping him and the depth of his help…to me just seems wrong and dishonest.

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Never a mention of his father helping him and the depth of his help…to me just seems wrong and dishonest.
Doesn't feel dishonest to me, just sounds like jealousy from you. "Yeah but he's not really self made!"

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
Doesn't feel dishonest to me, just sounds like jealousy from you. "Yeah but he's not really self made!"
I guess we just have a difference in our moral compass. If i were in RJ’s shoes, I would give more credit to my father as more credit is due.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I'm not sure what you are suggesting he should say instead, but it doesn't make sense for him to go do interviews where he basically explains that his Dad set him up for all his success so far. It makes it sound like he doesn't deserve to be where he is now and that is not true. No one launches a new car company completely on their own. That goes without saying.

BrayBay

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Launch Edition R1S - Forest Green/Forest Edge
Clubs

I found this interview painful to watch with all the desperate baiting from GQ.

I only wish there were thoughts of more substance re: UAW, but I get why the generic corpo answer. Was just hoping for something new.

And I hope Rivian doesn't take TOO much from Bezos with regard to being a responsible corporate citizen...

The interview with the kid podcasters was infinitely more valuable
Agreed, while there some interesting points about starting a business and some world views, there was way too much comparison with Tesla and Elon Musk.

Those two 8th graders from The Next Generation Podcast were great! Their podcast definitely was more entertaining and informative than GQ. We need more of that kind of content.

EVTrukHog

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Explorer, Corvette C6
Many probably listened to this last year but if you're interested in some of RJ's early career then this is a good listen as he talks with Guy Raz on How I Built This. I was a bit surprised to hear how "uncertain" Rivian was at the time I made my initial order and deposit.

Sponsored