Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Inside EVs

Reports out of China suggest that mass-produced solid-state batteries are no longer a distant reality, but something that’s close to market launch.
Is this really true? We don’t know for sure, but one company is making big claims. IM Motors is a joint venture between China’s state-owned SAIC group, e-commerce company Alibaba and property developer Zhangjiang Hi-Tech. The EV company claimed on microblogging platform Weibo that its Zhiji L6 sedan will be the world’s first mass-produced EV equipped with an ultra-fast solid-state battery.

Technical details will be revealed at the Beijing Auto Show on April 8, but so far the L6 is claimed to have a 130-kilowatt-hour solid-state battery with 621 miles of range on the overly optimistic CLTC range.

Rivian R1T R1S Here we go again - Solid State Batteries "just around the corner" 1711565456823-ye
Sponsored

Rivian_Hugh_III

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Infiniti EX35
I believe solid state batteries are coming.

They may be in the Tesla pipeline. With the Superchargers opening to all, I could imagine Tesla’s shifting to inductive charging from underneath with solid state in the next five years.

Musk recently said that AGI (artificial general intelligence) is fast approaching. He said within 1-2 years AI should be more intelligent than any one person and within 5 years it should be more intelligent than all human intelligence combined.

Tesla has been working on AI since nearly the beginning. They have one of the fastest supercomputers on earth working on self-driving.

ARK just bought a boatload of Tesla stock Friday, as they’ve publically said Tesla is an under appreciated AI play.

And Musk has said that selfdriving cars will need a way to self-charge (thus, induction).

It’s all coming to a Tesla near you. I just read that Cybertruck already appears ready for inductive charging.

Does solid state play into all that? Not sure, but it wouldn’t surprise me. That company would not be satisfied unless it was pushing the cutting edge.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
"Equipped with a solid state battery" ... for a flashlight that's in the armrest?

They may be in the Tesla pipeline. With the Superchargers opening to all, I could imagine Tesla’s shifting to inductive charging from underneath with solid state in the next five years.

Musk recently said that AGI (artificial general intelligence) is fast approaching. He said within 1-2 years AI should be more intelligent than any one person and within 5 years it should be more intelligent than all human intelligence combined.

Tesla has been working on AI since nearly the beginning. They have one of the fastest supercomputers on earth working on self-driving.

ARK just bought a boatload of Tesla stock Friday, as they’ve publically said Tesla is an under appreciated AI play.

And Musk has said that selfdriving cars will need a way to self-charge (thus, induction).

It’s all coming to a Tesla near you. I just read that Cybertruck already appears ready for inductive charging.

Does solid state play into all that? Not sure, but it wouldn’t surprise me. That company would not be satisfied unless it was pushing the cutting edge.
Musk also said a Tesla would drive across the US without driver interventions and that the 4680 battery was a massive leap forward.

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

In complete agreement about SSB. Tesla also except that you're on Rivian forum with lots of anti-Elon member so you're just starting a pissing contest.

Having worked over the years with NASA and DOE on electric aircraft, the state of the art battery density by 2030 is projected to be around 500w/kg with SSB.

The issue is scaling from small prototypes to large scale deployment, while achieving consistent reliability and power cycles.. I believe the story of this SSB-based vehicle is a vision concept that's intended to grab attention. Where the rubber meets the road, it may have a small SSB with lots of Li-ion or LPF batteries, if it comes to market within the next year or two. The real telling part is:

"130-kilowatt-hour solid-state battery with 621 miles of range on the overly optimistic CLTC range."

With 130kWh, SSB, it should be able to go well beyond 700 miles for a sedan that looks like what is depicted. Reason being that SSB energy density is almost 2x of conventional LFP - meaning that for the same kWh, SSB would weigh about 50% less.

For a comparison sake, the Air Dream Edition has a 112-kWh battery pack which will provide an estimated 520 mi (840 km) of EPA range and is Li-ion traditional batteries. The vehicle in question has more CLTC range which is far more optimistic than EPA's and has larger battery pack to get about the same range.

Clearly not SSB.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler

Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
"Equipped with a solid state battery" ... for a flashlight that's in the armrest?

Musk also said a Tesla would drive across the US without driver interventions and that the 4680 battery was a massive leap forward.
He actually did say that, and by 2017 no less…🤷🏻

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
solid batteries are already in the consumer market. they make a lot of sense for EVs too.

Stickboy46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T FG/FE 20" AT Dark

You can't tell most of this post isn't true .. the easiest giveaway is when you see the words "Musk said" next to each other.

OP
OP
Zoidz

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer

I agree SSBs are coming. I just don't see them in cars in mass production for another couple years at best.

I think TSLA is underappreciated in both AI and robotics.

BigSkies

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model Y
Clubs

So I follow the companies involved in this a bit, and did some stock research before deciding not to invest.

Solid state batteries are coming. This is not a hypothetical maybe in ten years thing. They are building the factories now, and there are some small-production versions already in circulation.

Here's the companies to pay attention to:

1. Sila Nanotechnologies is not actually solid-state, but will likely be first to market. They're replacing the graphite anode with a silicon anode for about a 20% increase in energy density. Their CEO says they think they can get it to around 40%. They can also charge much faster than graphite anode batteries. These batteries will be in the 2025 Mercedes G-Wagon. The CEO was recently interviewed on the "How I Built This" podcast. It's worth listening to if you're interested in the topic. They are building an anode factory in Washington.

2. Solid Power is partnered with BMW and Ford. BMW will have a prototype built on these batteries as early as 2025. To me, this implies maybe 2027ish availability in high-end BMW's, and a couple years later for broader availability. They are building a factory in Colorado.

3. Amprius has a solid-state battery in low volume production. Their website talks about EV's, but their work to-date is centered around the DoD and aviation. Their factory is being built in Colorado.

4. Quantumscape is one of the best known solid state companies. They are partnered with VW, and have recently delivered samples to VW for EV testing.

My expectation is that Sila will get the first cars out the door, and will scale much faster than the others. Sila's technology involves changing out the anode's in existing battery formats. So the existing battery factories can swap in the technology much easier and cheaper.

The other Solid State companies will be slower to market and slower to scale. The full manufacturing process needs to be built from the ground up, and the battery format is different enough that it likely makes sense to design car platforms specifically for the battery format. However, they might take over the market eventually as energy density moves closer to its theoretical limits.

Sponsored

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
So I follow the companies involved in this a bit, and did some stock research before deciding not to invest.

Solid state batteries are coming. This is not a hypothetical maybe in ten years thing. They are building the factories now, and there are some small-production versions already in circulation.

Here's the companies to pay attention to:

1. Sila Nanotechnologies is not actually solid-state, but will likely be first to market. They're replacing the graphite anode with a silicon anode for about a 20% increase in energy density. Their CEO says they think they can get it to around 40%. They can also charge much faster than graphite anode batteries. These batteries will be in the 2025 Mercedes G-Wagon. The CEO was recently interviewed on the "How I Built This" podcast. It's worth listening to if you're interested in the topic. They are building an anode factory in Washington.

2. Solid Power is partnered with BMW and Ford. BMW will have a prototype built on these batteries as early as 2025. To me, this implies maybe 2027ish availability in high-end BMW's, and a couple years later for broader availability. They are building a factory in Colorado.

3. Amprius has a solid-state battery in low volume production. Their website talks about EV's, but their work to-date is centered around the DoD and aviation. Their factory is being built in Colorado.

4. Quantumscape is one of the best known solid state companies. They are partnered with VW, and have recently delivered samples to VW for EV testing.

My expectation is that Sila will get the first cars out the door, and will scale much faster than the others. Sila's technology involves changing out the anode's in existing battery formats. So the existing battery factories can swap in the technology much easier and cheaper.

The other Solid State companies will be slower to market and slower to scale. The full manufacturing process needs to be built from the ground up, and the battery format is different enough that it likely makes sense to design car platforms specifically for the battery format. However, they might take over the market eventually as energy density moves closer to its theoretical limits.
does one of these companies make the batteries in Yoshino Power units?

BigSkies

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model Y
Clubs

does one of these companies make the batteries in Yoshino Power units?
I don't think so, but it's hard to say for sure. The Yoshino website says "Japanese Solid State Technology".

Everything I've looked at is US based, but there's plenty going on outside the US. Any researcher that has defensible new battery technology in the last decade got as much money thrown at them as possible from VC's or even nation-states. This is an area where every country wants to be a leader and views it as a national security issue. I won't be surprised to learn that Chinese companies have a 1-2 year advantage here.

Gen(R3)Xer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Fit
I found an old article on this MINI Cooper website I frequent with Toyota saying the same thing. The article was 7 years old. I’ll believe it when the solid state batteries are actually in the vehicles AND they’re being mass produced.

Anyone can make a one-off amazing battery that lets an EV drive 600+ miles, but no one has figured out a way to replicate it so that it transforms the entire industry and the world. Not yet anyway.

Gen(R3)Xer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Fit
I don't think so, but it's hard to say for sure. The Yoshino website says "Japanese Solid State Technology".

Everything I've looked at is US based, but there's plenty going on outside the US. Any researcher that has defensible new battery technology in the last decade got as much money thrown at them as possible from VC's or even nation-states. This is an area where every country wants to be a leader and views it as a national security issue. I won't be surprised to learn that Chinese companies have a 1-2 year advantage here.
The Chinese are definitely ahead in battery technology. That’s why everyone is licensing from them, including Tesla.

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
“Just around corner” = “soon”. I’ll take it more literally when the factories are 80% built with production launch no more than 3 months hence.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.