First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Physician
In complete agreement about SSB. Tesla also except that you're on Rivian forum with lots of anti-Elon member so you're just starting a pissing contest.

Having worked over the years with NASA and DOE on electric aircraft, the state of the art battery density by 2030 is projected to be around 500w/kg with SSB.

The issue is scaling from small prototypes to large scale deployment, while achieving consistent reliability and power cycles.. I believe the story of this SSB-based vehicle is a vision concept that's intended to grab attention. Where the rubber meets the road, it may have a small SSB with lots of Li-ion or LPF batteries, if it comes to market within the next year or two. The real telling part is:

"130-kilowatt-hour solid-state battery with 621 miles of range on the overly optimistic CLTC range."

With 130kWh, SSB, it should be able to go well beyond 700 miles for a sedan that looks like what is depicted. Reason being that SSB energy density is almost 2x of conventional LFP - meaning that for the same kWh, SSB would weigh about 50% less.

For a comparison sake, the Air Dream Edition has a 112-kWh battery pack which will provide an estimated 520 mi (840 km) of EPA range and is Li-ion traditional batteries. The vehicle in question has more CLTC range which is far more optimistic than EPA's and has larger battery pack to get about the same range.

Clearly not SSB.
Yes, there is so much blind hate in this forum. They refuse to accept the technological advancements that Chinese EV makers are making, and love to denigrate Elon who single handily keeping EV revolution in the US soil. I see replay of 1980’s when Japanese dominated the auto industries. Without trade barriers, Chinese EVs will decimate US auto industries including Rivian.
Sponsored

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
Yes, there is so much blind hate in this forum. They refuse to accept the technological advancements that Chinese EV makers are making, and love to denigrate Elon who single handily keeping EV revolution in the US soil. I see replay of 1980’s when Japanese dominated the auto industries. Without trade barriers, Chinese EVs will decimate US auto industries including Rivian.
It is just as wrong to level broad criticism on these people. Some of us dislike Elon for good reason. And those reasons are laid bare for all to see through his own words and actions... zero editorial/social influence involved. We, can think for ourselves.

Toadkillerdog

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Porsche Panamera Turbo, 2020 Subaru Outback
Occupation
Physician
Well if all they can do is decimate the US auto industry that means only 10% of the auto industry will be destroyed. Not too bad a prospect. Now if you had said annihilate instead of decimate…

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
You are deliberately conflating 🙄

”blind hate” implies there is not good reason to find fault with Elon’s behavior. It is possible (and accurate) to appreciate his early efforts on EVs and dislike him as a person and business owner now.

I also don’t recall seeing anyone here “refusing to accept” Chinese technological advancements.

s4wrxttcs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
I like to think of things in terms of whether they have traction or not.

Nothing indicates to me that there is traction in the US for self-driving cars to come any time soon. Aside from expanding robotaxi's and scaling up from the MB L3.

Solid State batteries on the other hand do seem to have traction. So I'd be surprised if we didn't see at least a few cars have them in the next 5 years.

Sponsored

Gen(R3)Xer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Fit
This is exactly right. Without our tariffs on Chinese EVs we’d end up like Europe (scrambling to enact tariffs to protect their legacy automakers).

The next move for the Chinese is to set up shop in Mexico and avoid the tariffs altogether.

Herb

First Name
Herbert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911, John Deere, 1T max DM Performance
I believe solid state batteries are coming.

They may be in the Tesla pipeline. With the Superchargers opening to all, I could imagine Tesla’s shifting to inductive charging from underneath with solid state in the next five years.

Musk recently said that AGI (artificial general intelligence) is fast approaching. He said within 1-2 years AI should be more intelligent than any one person and within 5 years it should be more intelligent than all human intelligence combined.

Tesla has been working on AI since nearly the beginning. They have one of the fastest supercomputers on earth working on self-driving.

ARK just bought a boatload of Tesla stock Friday, as they’ve publically said Tesla is an under appreciated AI play.

And Musk has said that selfdriving cars will need a way to self-charge (thus, induction).

It’s all coming to a Tesla near you. I just read that Cybertruck already appears ready for inductive charging.

Does solid state play into all that? Not sure, but it wouldn’t surprise me. That company would not be satisfied unless it was pushing the cutting edge.
I believe solid state batteries are coming.

They may be in the Tesla pipeline. With the Superchargers opening to all, I could imagine Tesla’s shifting to inductive charging from underneath with solid state in the next five years.

Musk recently said that AGI (artificial general intelligence) is fast approaching. He said within 1-2 years AI should be more intelligent than any one person and within 5 years it should be more intelligent than all human intelligence combined.

Tesla has been working on AI since nearly the beginning. They have one of the fastest supercomputers on earth working on self-driving.

ARK just bought a boatload of Tesla stock Friday, as they’ve publically said Tesla is an under appreciated AI play.

And Musk has said that selfdriving cars will need a way to self-charge (thus, induction).

It’s all coming to a Tesla near you. I just read that Cybertruck already appears ready for inductive charging.

Does solid state play into all that? Not sure, but it wouldn’t surprise me. That company would not be satisfied unless it was pushing the cutting edge.
Sure thing, coming soon!

Gen(R3)Xer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Fit
Which is precisely why some in congress are wringing their hands, looking redo NAFTA.
Yeah, it might come down to that. That would hurt our own US automakers though, as they use Mexico for cheap labor. I do believe Ford’s Mach-E is made there.

Sponsored

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
Which is precisely why some in congress are wringing their hands, looking redo NAFTA.
And if we had ratified the TPP eight years ago, these sorts of issues would have been headed-off. The labor standards provisions, including pay and dispute resolutions, would have reduced the labor cost and the labor conditions disparity that makes US manufacturing so much more expensive.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
Huh? First, my dislike of Elon is not even remotely blind. It's based on quite legitimate observations of fact. Second, who in here has "refuse[d] to accept the technological advancements that Chinese EV makers are making"? I'm not even sure what that means in this context. Several of us have replied with skepticism about how close large-size, mass-produced SSBs are from reality. We aren't wrong to be skeptical. Researchers have been declaring SSBs for EVs to be "2 years away" for nearly a decade. There is not a single plant in the world that is capable of mass-producing SSBs of a size suitable for EVs. There are no such factories even close to being open.

Rivian Head

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Physician
Huh? First, my dislike of Elon is not even remotely blind. It's based on quite legitimate observations of fact. Second, who in here has "refuse[d] to accept the technological advancements that Chinese EV makers are making"? I'm not even sure what that means in this context. Several of us have replied with skepticism about how close large-size, mass-produced SSBs are from reality. We aren't wrong to be skeptical. Researchers have been declaring SSBs for EVs to be "2 years away" for nearly a decade. There is not a single plant in the world that is capable of mass-producing SSBs of a size suitable for EVs. There are no such factories even close to being open.
Just keep it at skepticism. There are too much hate in this world, even in this forum.

daeHelkcunK

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1965 Suburban, 1968 Chevelle, Cayenne S, R1T, R1S
Occupation
Physician
You can't tell most of this post isn't true .. the easiest giveaway is when you see the words "Musk said" next to each other.
Musk is the only reason you're even driving an EV. Maybe retract the claws a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.