Sponsored

How are people hauling around fishing rods in their R1T?

bgoldber88

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T LE, 2021 BMW X3 PHEV
Occupation
Engineer
This may seem like a silly question, but I'm normally somebody who likes to fly fish, so I don't often have to worry about fitting a long 1pc rod in my vehicle. I'll just toss my rod tubes in the backseat or the gear tunnel along with my waders and boots and so on. That being said, I've felt like going bass fishing recently, and I've been wondering how people are fitting their 7'+ 1pc rods in their truck? Do you guys just toss them in the bed? If I had a tonneau I'd feel a lot better having the end poke out if the rest of the rod was mostly under a tonneau...

First time truck owner questions 😂
Sponsored

HighVoltOverland

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GW/OC R1T | Tesla MY | Jeep Wrangler TJ
Occupation
Retired-ish
Clubs

This feels disingenuous.
No fly fisher would ever just toss a rod in their car.

They all would buy a new lifted super duty to make sure the custom LL Bean rod protector doesn't look out of place on their custom ladder rack

/i'm doing a bit

I personally got into Tenkara and Cuban YoYo fishing when I explored the country on motorcycle earlier in life. They both fit anywhere I need em to and cover me if I want to fish a stream or the ocean. It's the perfect portable combo.

For one piece fly rods I see a lot with the roof top tubes, wouldn't be much effort to strap a tube to the roof bars.

Yakima makes some if that is your speed

I also see a lot of folks use their ski crossbars as holders for rods

DIY route you could probably use a conduit holder or some larger PVC strapped to the roof

KWK

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Silverado, Chevy Equinox
Occupation
Business owner, Construction related companies
I simply bungy my rod storage tube to the Cargo Crossbars.. It works well if you don't need a secure set up for potential theft at your destination. Secure the tubes firm so quick braking will not allow the tube to bump the rear window.

tbolts10

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Public Safety
I just lay the reel side in one corner and have the tip stick out the back across the opposite side. All 7'6 rods and they stay just fine.

buglas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I use a snowboard rack (Yakima Fatcat 6) mounted to the roof and have the rods sticking out back towards the truck bed

Sponsored

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
I have a neighbor who uses his roof racks and then secures the fronts via line down to the front bumper. Pretty slick setup. I’ll see if I can get a picture.

KvonBCO

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Hyundai Kona EV, Subaru Outback
Late to this thread but these things are great. Mine is from Denver Rod Company but there are several like it now.

Rivian R1T R1S How are people hauling around fishing rods in their R1T? IMG_4708
Sponsored