PSA: Rivian Tailgate Pad is back in stock

JHCIV

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Just ordered one from the gear shop! Delivery in 3-7 business days.
Sponsored

banjo27

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T (pre-ordered), 1979 CJ-7, 2017 Tacoma
Occupation
Software Exec
Thank you! Just ordered mine as well.

R1Thor

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23QM R1T, Limestone + Ocean Coast, 21" & UBS
Occupation
Mechanical Engineering Lead
Clubs

Just ordered one from the gear shop! Delivery in 3-7 business days.
Good luck!

I ordered mine the day they came back in stock (the 20th). I received an email on the 25th saying it shipped with tracking information. The Tracking Number is still invalid as of this writing.

So, I think the 3-7 business days is a little...inaccurate. Unless it shows up for me suddenly tomorrow, then it'll be at the 7 days extreme end.

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I've used this pad now for a few months and lots of bike trips. What I really LOVE about the pad is it literally fits like a glove, was designed for the R1T, has plenty of padding, is well made, and is SO easy to take on and off - much easier than any other pad before it. I also love that you can see the light bar through the mesh - nice touch. It's durable and seems like it will last a long time.

What I don't like about it? The straps. For the life of me I can't understand why Rivian over-engineered these things. Straps should not require any explanation to put on correctly. I have to explain to EVERY person who tries to use them how to put them on correctly. And even when done correctly, they still come loose and the bikes can tip over. The whole clip with the velcro thing with the pull straps is totally overcomplicated - and it doesn't even work well. Is it good enough? Sure, but I wish they were more secure. Has ANYONE else figured how to be able to have BOTH sides fully secure when you pull up? Because I have not and don't think its possible - 1 side yes, both sides no.

My old pad never had any issues with velcro straps - why not just these?!

endress14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grand Cherokee, XC 90 recharge
Occupation
TBD
fwiw i've been using for a few months as well and haven't had any loosening issues. i do the procedure of velcro-ing the strap as instructed, but I don't pull "up" on the free ends to tighten, i pull more down and to the side along the top of the tailgate. not sure if this makes a difference or if there is built in variability to each pad.

Sponsored

R1Thor

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23QM R1T, Limestone + Ocean Coast, 21" & UBS
Occupation
Mechanical Engineering Lead
Clubs

Good luck!

I ordered mine the day they came back in stock (the 20th). I received an email on the 25th saying it shipped with tracking information. The Tracking Number is still invalid as of this writing.

So, I think the 3-7 business days is a little...inaccurate. Unless it shows up for me suddenly tomorrow, then it'll be at the 7 days extreme end.
I was a tad premature, as I serendipitously received this MINUTES after I'd posted!

Rivian R1T R1S PSA: Rivian Tailgate Pad is back in stock 1698678836336

M0nster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Just received my tailgate pad and set it up for a test fit. The buckle/straps that hold onto the bike frame won’t stay tight at all, the bike just comes loose with the slightest pressure. Am I missing something or is this thing junk?

OP
OP

JHCIV

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Good luck!

Ordered 10.27, shipped 10.31, delivered 11.2. Not bad! I live in the mountains west of Denver. Just installed and mounted two bikes no problems (straps seem a bit complicated, but secure). Quality seems great.

Schaef

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Just received my tailgate pad and set it up for a test fit. The buckle/straps that hold onto the bike frame won’t stay tight at all, the bike just comes loose with the slightest pressure. Am I missing something or is this thing junk?

I have the same issue when I try to secure the lower bar of bikes. 3 of the bikes we have work great by strapping up the second bar that is higher up. One of my bikes has too much separation to reach, so I fold up a hand towel and put it over the lower bar. It’s not ideally but works.

endress14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grand Cherokee, XC 90 recharge
Occupation
TBD

dont put the free end of the driver side strap in the velcro, only the bottom one. that works better for mine anyway.

Sponsored

Cycliste

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T/20AT/2DNU, BMC TMR01/SRAM AXS/454 NSW
Occupation
Amateur aero weenie
Clubs

I’ve been trying it out with my road bike. I use a tie down from the bed, around the seat post and frame. I do this because I’m paranoid after dodging a bike that fell off a rack on the back of a car and other stories of bikes falling off cars.

My R1T warns me my sensors are obstructed and warnings while parking won’t be available. I need to drive without a bike to see if it the front wheel is the cause. I don’t see any of the cameras obstructed.

I do like not having to remove the front wheel, and I don’t have to climb onto the bed for the tie down. So my hip fracture risk is lower, and three of my fellow Club members have had a hip pinned after a crash.

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T

The Velcro strap needs to go under the pull strap which is not intuitive and my issue with the straps in general.

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I’ve been trying it out with my road bike. I use a tie down from the bed, around the seat post and frame. I do this because I’m paranoid after dodging a bike that fell off a rack on the back of a car and other stories of bikes falling off cars.

My R1T warns me my sensors are obstructed and warnings while parking won’t be available. I need to drive without a bike to see if it the front wheel is the cause. I don’t see any of the cameras obstructed.

I do like not having to remove the front wheel, and I don’t have to climb onto the bed for the tie down. So my hip fracture risk is lower, and three of my fellow Club members have had a hip pinned after a crash.
You can turn off rear accessory and not get the notifications about being blocked.

mtberman

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T DM large,2019 Chev Bolt, 2021 Audi e-tron
I got mine delivered Wednesday and it is excellent. The straps are thoughtfully over-engineered. I had to carefully un-do one of the hold-downs and look at it for a moment to see the fit options. It's hard to explain and the instructions don't illustrate it well.

Different mountain and fat tire bikes I've tried all fit. The pad's perfect fit on the R1T's uniquely shaped tailgate was a pleasant surprise. I was expecting a simple pad.

I was not happy to learn i couldn't mount existing racks on the crossbars when they are over the bed, and I was using my hitch rack. I'll be on the pad from now on LOL.

Cycliste

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T/20AT/2DNU, BMC TMR01/SRAM AXS/454 NSW
Occupation
Amateur aero weenie
Clubs

I worry I’ll accidentally trigger the tailgate to open when I have a bike on the tailgate pad. I am very careful leaning over the button that opens the tail gate when setting a tie down. Should we advocate for the ability to disable tailgate opening?
Sponsored