First Name
DT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'24 BMW iX50 / '21 Jeep Wrangler 4xe
Occupation
Software Dev / Architect / Product Designer
So much worse in person…which is an achievement in itself.
It's astounding.

Sometimes you see photos of a vehicle, they don't capture the dynamics of design when in motion - they're at a weird angle, the lighting is unnatural - you don't get to take in the entire design, you don't get the totality of the design language. They just look so much better in person, on the street, being driven.

The CT manages to be moderately terrible in "glamor shots" online, but orders-of-magnitude more horrendous in person. I mean, FFS, it looks rickety, like it's been repaired after severe damage and the shop just said, "OK, close enough ..." (as a former Tesla M3P owner, I have to assume, that's pretty much the general QA mantra).

It's insultingly shitty. :D
Sponsored

Glembi2

First Name
Glembi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Genesis GV70, Civic, & Mazda3
Occupation
Patent attorney
Clubs

Looking at the per quarter sales of Rivians, CTs, Lightnings, EV9s and others, I’m questioning whether this type of comparison means much. I see two reasons comparisons are good:

A. They show differences between fungible commodities
B. They show how well companies are doing in a market segment

Do people cross-shop R1Ts, CTs, and Lightnings like people cross-shop small, FWD sedans?

We know there are some here. But because the BEV truck market is still in its infancy, wouldn’t most of the market be made up of brand loyalty/brand disloyalty?

We wanted a Rivian because of our prior experiences with Ford, and the concept of QM spoke to me (fewer diffs and anything ICE -like transfer cases - the better).

RivianRunner

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck DM, F-150, Suzuki DR650
Occupation
Tester
No material is truly stainless. It may not “rust” like 440c or mild steel would but eventually left to its own devices and enough moisture any steel will oxidize and discolor - maybe not by a lot but it will happen. The benefit that the truck has is that you can chemically or mechanically adjust that. Eventually though the examples of these cars left outside most of their lives are going to start to look really ugly or at the very least unique and we’ll definitely have lost the factory uniform finish. That may be a good thing because the examples I’ve seen of the truck have the same egregious body issues some of our Rivians do though whereas convention cars have panel alignment issues, this one seems to have panel “waves”.

Idk. My guess is that It’ll be a long time before we see hundreds of thousands of these on the road and that’s a disappointment because I get a good laugh every time I see one and I could use some more levity in my life.
True, the ultra-durable stainless panels are not meant to have the looks fit to be a garage queen, or win ribbons on the concourse, it's just a no-nonsense work truck. It's intended to provide a non-fussy ownership experience. If you want to be a fancy pretty man truck owner, I suggest a Silverado or a Rivian, both have a lot more styling detailing and some people like that over a plain truck that's all function. That's fine.

But I just wash mine with a bucket of sudsy water and a truck brush and it looks great. Even after living outside under the trees dropping wet leaves and needles, insects, and everything else the forest can throw at it. It's never been under a roof and, nearly three months later, it still looks great. I barely have to do anything beyond washing it once in a while to keep the green stuff from growing on it. Unless you were only talking about soap and water, I think your idea that you need to use a lot of chemicals on it is misguided. It looks great just with an occasional car wash.

RivianRunner

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Tester
I don't think "clicks" explains the fake rusty narrative. It's more a function of how many monied interests feel threatened by the latest, greatest pickup truck that is already starting to sell in large numbers. They want to make as many people as possible think it's not a good truck.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach-E GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta, Kia POS
Reading all the hate for the CT in this thread makes me want to buy one. I might, except the range is way below what I want. Sure, it uses the SC network, which is great, but still. I hate public charging, and avoiding it is very high on my list.

Therefore, I am still on the Tri-motor Max R1T train, with those awesome areo rims.

Sponsored

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
No question R1T is a great all around truck. It does everything decently well; handling, ride, off-roading and hauling etc, a jack of all trades but master of none. Consumers want more quiet/plush ride and utility (Lightening ) or more techs (CT) at 80k price point. Rivian sales number is trailing Lightening and CT by more than 2:1 margin, and I don’t see this changing anytime soon even with the refresh.
I agree. I think the R1T is a great all around vehicle, but the back is too small to call it a great truck. Its good for people who don't really need a full pickup but also don't need three rows. The Lightning is massive compared to the R1T.

But the R1S is a vehicle that neither Ford or Tesla competes well against.

I think the CT can sell a few hundred thousand vehicles per year when its in the $60-$80K range. The Founder's addition is going to have terrible resale.

RivianRunner

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Tester
Tesla is deep into the reservation que right now. TX owners claim that placing a $100K AWD FS order nets you a VIN the following day. It used to take weeks. This is proof that demand is dropping for the expensive FS trucks.
Fast forward two weeks:

Tesla says demand for foundation series remains so strong they expect to not be selling non-FS until near the end of 2024.

So much for your alleged proof that demand is dropping. People are finding out how good of a truck Cybertruck really is and deciding it's not that expensive for what you get.

RivianRunner

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Tester
Rear wheel steering was first brought to market in 1985. Back then, they said it would be standard on every vehicle in a few years.

Chevy introduced rear wheel steering on trucks in 2002. Back then, they said it would be standard on every vehicle in a few years. It was dropped in 2006.

Many manufacturers have introduced it and dropped it. See the pattern? Rear wheel steering is not going to be a standard feature in a few years. Same with steer by wire.
GM brought back rear-wheel steering with the Hummer and the Silverado.

I bet you are making those predictions having never driven a vehicle with steer-by-wire and four-wheel-steering in one package. Correct?

I thought so, you really need to try it because there is a synergy with the two steering control technologies together, it transforms the experience. Tight parking lots? Crowded streets? Busy lumber yards? Tight trails off-road? Sub-standard driveways? All benefit immensely, the Cybertruck makes snaking through tricky situations effortless. No more hand-over-hand frantic steering, no more working up a sweat just navigating through tricky terrain. And lane changes on the freeway? It's like the Cybertruck just naturally slides into the next lane.

At slow speeds the rear tires follow the front, no more dragging your rear tire over curbs and other obstacles in tight situations. That's why I say it "snakes" through tight situations.

RivianRunner

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Tester
The resale market is going to absolutely crash for them once the novelty factor wears off.
You wouldn't be saying that if you actually knew what you were talking about. Meaning you had first-hand experience with one. To drive a Cybertruck is to want a Cybertruck. For most people who drive them anyway. Demand for Cybertruck is still growing, even at $100K.

Which is pretty amazing because that's not a very large addressable market. When the price gets down to the tax credit threshold of $80K, look out, the flood gates are going to open up.

RivianRunner

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Tester
My guess is that It’ll be a long time before we see hundreds of thousands of these on the road and that’s a disappointment because I get a good laugh every time I see one and I could use some more levity in my life.
What is "a long time" to you? Less than a year? There should be around 200,000 on the road by next summer. That's why Ford and GM are so concerned. It's already cutting into some of their most profitable sales of higher end trucks and large SUVs and there's no way to stop the bleeding.

Sponsored

RivianRunner

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Tester
Reading all the hate for the CT in this thread makes me want to buy one.
Exactly! The hate for a vehicle is the most irrational thing I've seen for some time. It's especially notable since most of the people I encounter in real life absolutely LOVE it! It makes me think Rivian naturally attracts hateful and irrational people. I mean, why would anyone care what someone else drives?

I don't like the Hummer (and I didn't when it was first released as an ICE vehicle), but I didn't go around hating on it. I certainly hope the Rivian people on this forum are not representative of Rivian owners in the real world.

Epicloop

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
and eventually get the CT that you originally ordered within the next couple of years.
It is very unlikely they will be producing the 500 mile, 3500lb payload, 14k tow rated with a properly located spare tire, so I would have to disagree.
Oh, that gimmick range extender in the box does not count, I prefer to use the box for cargo not batteries & spare tires.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Clubs

Exactly! The hate for a vehicle is the most irrational thing I've seen for some time. It's especially notable since most of the people I encounter in real life absolutely LOVE it! It makes me think Rivian naturally attracts hateful and irrational people. I mean, why would anyone care what someone else drives?

I don't like the Hummer (and I didn't when it was first released as an ICE vehicle), but I didn't go around hating on it. I certainly hope the Rivian people on this forum are not representative of Rivian owners in the real world.
Says the guy who has never owned a Rivian yet spends an inordinate amount of time here trolling Rivian owners, fans with propaganda and lies not seen since the days of the Soviet Union. :CWL:

Please provide us with your completely uninformed psyche profile of the person who does that.

Last edited: