First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
As of April 18th (day of recall) they had delivered approx 4k CTs. Let’s assume that’s tripled, for sake of argument. That would be 12k on the road, which is … a hell of a lot less than 760k.

That’s wild. I think everyone expected drop off in conversion from res to purchase, but a 98% drop is nuts.
The 98% drop off was "well-earned"!
Sponsored

RivianRunner

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck DM, F-150, Suzuki DR650
Occupation
Tester
Regarding the single display that shows the speed and other information, I thought I would hate it. Really hate it. It was one of the things that convinced me to not even consider a MY.

I decided to rent a Y on a business trip. I was very impressed, actually. And the center display wasn't even a problem. I could very easily see my speed, and other information that was important.
True, I've been pushing back on the narrative that you need to peer down through your steering wheel to see the speedometer for over 6 years now. Some people think that since that's where the speedometer has always been, it's the best place. But I found I was adjusting the steering wheel position to the one position that worked, and it wasn't the most comfortable position.

Now that the speedometer has been de-coupled from the steering wheel, I don't get that pain in my neck on long drives from having the steering wheel adjusted too high.

I don't see how, if this was a real problem, the Model Y could have become the best-selling car in the entire world.

Last edited:

RivianRunner

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Tester
Guy says he wants us all to be kumbaya fellow EV owners but then says this, offending pretty much everyone in this forum.
If you find that offensive, you need to grow a thicker skin! It's just one man's opinion!

Some people here seem very defensive and quick to take offense. And they attack the messenger rather than the message they disagree with. It's not a good look for the brand when so many of their owners are offended so easily.

RivianRunner

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Tester
I was never looking for your approval or belief. Even if I proved it to you, you're still going to say I'm "misinformed," so this is a waste of time.
What do you mean, even if you proved it to me? :CWL:

You can't prove it to me that you test drove a Cybertruck because you never test drove a Cybertruck. It was a lie. And then you tried to weasel out of it by saying I don't know who your friends are and what they drive.

Which is a true statement, but I can spot deception from a mile away.

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1T PDM Max, '97 Miata, '19 Monkey
Occupation
IT
Clubs

What do you mean, even if you proved it to me? :CWL:

You can't prove it to me that you test drove a Cybertruck because you never test drove a Cybertruck. It was a lie. And then you tried to weasel out of it by saying I don't know who your friends are and what they drive.

Which is a true statement, but I can spot deception from a mile away.
Good grief, man. I hope one day you can look back at this thread and laugh... like we all are now.

Sponsored

KootenayEV

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Environmental Engineer
I don't understand blocking opinions you disagree with.

I am reading all the posts. Sometimes I agree, sometimes I don't. But I only block violent, threatening people. Fortunately, the moderators ban them anyway, so there is no need to block. Therefore, I really don't block.

Different opinions add diversity to the conversation and are interesting - and can open my eyes. I have changed my own opinion because of those who have disagreed with me. But that is just me. Maybe I am more open minded than most. Which is pretty sad, because I am pretty damn opinionated.
I generally agree with the above and RR is the first person I’ve ever blocked on this forum. I blocked him because it was a constant one-sided stream of drivel that came out as patronizing and I’d read enough of it. Best.

MaskedRacerX

First Name
DT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'24 BMW iX50 / '21 Jeep Wrangler 4xe
Occupation
Software Dev / Architect / Product Designer
Regarding the single display that shows the speed and other information, I thought I would hate it. Really hate it. It was one of the things that convinced me to not even consider a MY.

I decided to rent a Y on a business trip. I was very impressed, actually. And the center display wasn't even a problem. I could very easily see my speed, and other information that was important.
Having dedicated/discrete, driver facing instrumentation (of some sort) has become a requirement of mine. I had a lot of vehicles before the Tesla, when we got it, I adjusted pretty quickly to the single center display, but it never felt like best experience/execution.

Even a HUD + the center display would be an improvement, but I'm sure Elmo has some kind of weird anti-HUD stance.

It's not just about glancing down (or in the case of a HUD not even changing your sight lines), it's about being able to have relevant data and controls in the right place. With the BMW the wife can run the audio, she gets a nice map display that's pulled way back for a high level view, she can fire up Waze (because CarPlay ...) and give me a heads-up about accidents, radar, sudden speed changes.

And on my driver's display I have the speed, the control settings for the ADAS, a much more zoomed in view of the map (or an AR overlay view that shows 3D direction indicators over live video), plus the HUD with turn-by-turn, or an eye-stay-on-the-road Spotify tracking listing and control.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach-E GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta, Kia POS
Having dedicated/discrete, driver facing instrumentation (of some sort) has become a requirement of mine. I had a lot of vehicles before the Tesla, when we got it, I adjusted pretty quickly to the single center display, but it never felt like best experience/execution.

Even a HUD + the center display would be an improvement, but I'm sure Elmo has some kind of weird anti-HUD stance.

It's not just about glancing down (or in the case of a HUD not even changing your sight lines), it's about being able to have relevant data and controls in the right place. With the BMW the wife can run the audio, she gets a nice map display that's pulled way back for a high level view, she can fire up Waze (because CarPlay ...) and give me a heads-up about accidents, radar, sudden speed changes.

And on my driver's display I have the speed, the control settings for the ADAS, a much more zoomed in view of the map (or an AR overlay view that shows 3D direction indicators over live video), plus the HUD with turn-by-turn, or an eye-stay-on-the-road Spotify tracking listing and control.
IMO the reason the center display is used to show speed is not because it is better for the driver, it is because it is cheaper.

I thought the execution of that approach was pretty good, but certainly not as good as 30 mechanical buttons spaced around the interior, and displays placed exactly where you naturally look, and even better, a heads-up display.

All that costs money, and when a BEV is so hard to produce profitably, it is very smart to find a way to avoid that cost. At least if you can execute the cost savings well. And based on my few days with the MY, they executed it well.

This is relevant but even more off the topic of this thread: Mach-e owners complained when the speed was moved a few inches to the right on the display behind the steering wheel. Previously they could get it centered. The change was not intentional, and I am sure Ford is going to fix it, but people were very unhappy.

I didn't care at all, but it is very funny when the MY doesn't even have a display behind the steering wheel. BTW - I think the R1 speed display isn't centered behind the steering wheel either, is it? :CWL:

First world issues. I won't even say problems.

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
Clubs

does RR even own a cybertruck IRL? Has she or he ever posted a real picture of it doing real truck stuff?

Jiji

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Vehicles
Rivian Blue R1S
Guy says he wants us all to be kumbaya fellow EV owners but then says this, offending pretty much everyone in this forum.
I lost all respect when I saw this gross misuse of the word ‘concours’, no respectable bot would get this wrong in a prestigious vehicle forum like this, therefore the author is human and any claims of infallibility are suspect and invalid. /s
Rivian R1T R1S How I Know Cybertruck Pre-Orders have TANKED on Sales 1719974053716-td

Sponsored

RivianRunner

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Tester
does RR even own a cybertruck IRL? Has she or he ever posted a real picture of it doing real truck stuff?
Yes, but the sensitive folks like yourself that have me on ignore don't get to see the photos of real truck stuff. 😜

RivianRunner

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Tester
This is relevant but even more off the topic of this thread: Mach-e owners complained when the speed was moved a few inches to the right on the display behind the steering wheel. Previously they could get it centered. The change was not intentional, and I am sure Ford is going to fix it, but people were very unhappy.

I didn't care at all, but it is very funny when the MY doesn't even have a display behind the steering wheel. BTW - I think the R1 speed display isn't centered behind the steering wheel either, is it? :CWL:

First world issues. I won't even say problems.
I think having the speed displayed through the steering wheel made good sense back in the day when steering wheels were huge with thin rims and spokes. Because the steering wheel took up a lot of dashboard real estate and the view through the wheel was great.

Modern cars have much smaller steering wheel diameters, the rim and spokes are thicker, and unless the wheels are pointing straight ahead, you can't see the critical data. The spokes of the turned wheel block your view.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach-E GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta, Kia POS
I think having the speed displayed through the steering wheel made good sense back in the day when steering wheels were huge with thin rims and spokes. Because the steering wheel took up a lot of dashboard real estate and the view through the wheel was great.

Modern cars have much smaller steering wheel diameters, the rim and spokes are thicker, and unless the wheels are pointing straight ahead, you can't see the critical data. The spokes of the turned wheel block your view.
Marcus, let's see pictures of your truck! I want to see the rust spots! :eek: Or some big timber in the bed...

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
Clubs

Yes, but the sensitive folks like yourself that have me on ignore don't get to see the photos of real truck stuff. 😜
I have no member of this forum on ignore. I'd love to see the pictures!

RivianRunner

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Tester
I have no member of this forum on ignore. I'd love to see the pictures!
Rivian R1T R1S How I Know Cybertruck Pre-Orders have TANKED on Sales 20240422_123622crsm

Since my truck lives outside in the rain, under the trees, it gets quite rusty. Here's one showing all the rust:

Rivian R1T R1S How I Know Cybertruck Pre-Orders have TANKED on Sales 20240427_182356sm

Oh, wait, that's just mud. I can't find any pictures showing all the rust. Maybe that's because it doesn't rust.. The body care is super easy, I just wash it with soap and water and a long-handled truck washing brush. Then hose it off and dry. No waxing, no harsh chemicals. It always looks great after a wash and it has self-passivated, so fingerprints don't stand out. I can spot clean with some Sprayway glass cleaner, removes all traces of fingerprints and doesn't strip the passivation layer. I've never had a truck that was so easy to keep looking nice. That said, it's muddy more than it's clean! Having too much fun hooning around the mountains.

Dang! This thing packs a load better than my F-150, far better, it's actually not even a contest! I could barely tell I had a load going down the super steep, torn up portion of this mountain road, the load didn't get upset like it does on my F-150 and the regen felt like it automatically increased with the weight, I didn't even need to use the friction brakes descending a 12% grade. Just amazing the way it drove. This load is ~2500 lbs. (including myself and tools) and the rear axle load rating is exceeded by a couple hundred lbs. This is "Entry Mode" ride height. As I was loading each round or two it made a slight hissing noise periodically as it self-leveled, as soon as I put it in gear it raised up level and drove like it wasn't even taxed.
Rivian R1T R1S How I Know Cybertruck Pre-Orders have TANKED on Sales 20240513_161658crsm
Rivian R1T R1S How I Know Cybertruck Pre-Orders have TANKED on Sales 20240607_151136adsm

Accessing some alpine trailheads early in the season. I was the first one up this road since last fall. It's steeper than it looks, the Cybertruck's ground clearance and locking differentials made it easy.

So much fake negativity about Cybertruck, people I run into in the mountains driving other off-road vehicles love it. Some of them are surprised I could make it (they have heard Cybertruck is no good in snow or on rugged terrain, LOL!). I've hung out with Jeep, Toyota, Ford owners multiple times for half and hour or more just shooting the shit.

They go away impressed and better educated. I wouldn't be surprised if some of them Google it when they get home. This thing is going to be a runaway hit, it's a real sleeper right now. The title of this thread is comedic, given what I've seen in terms of interest.

Cheers!
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.