First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I find this relevant for EVs because unlike most news article declaring EV sales are dieing, this actually indicates it is not just EVs but the whole market appears to be under pressure.

This may also explain more as to why Ford and GM are cutting back on their EVs, the revenue may be off on their ICE divisions and they are trying to limit the bleed.
Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
From what I have read, this is just a car industry problem right now, not an ICE vs EV problem. Because customers can't afford new car payments at the current interest rates they are buying used.

Which also means most of the overreaction to "EV demand" is misplaced. More people will buy new again when rates come down.

Cycliste

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T/20AT/2DNU, BMC TMR01/SRAM AXS/454 NSW
Occupation
Amateur aero weenie
Clubs

I guess the one sentence summary for the auto market now is ā€œIf you are not Tesla, you are suffering.ā€

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I guess the one sentence summary for the auto market now is ā€œIf you are not Tesla, you are suffering.ā€
Tesla is not immune, they dropped the Model Y price in February again, they only do that to move inventory.

Then there is this, that is a huge hit to their bottom line, for 1 million vehicles a 13k drop in average transaction cost equates to a 13 billion hit to the sales numbers.
  • According to the data table shared by Kelley Blue Book, Teslaā€™s average transaction price has gone from $62,350 to $49,518. Those prices represent January 2023 and January 2024, respectively. Across the entire automotive industry, prices have dropped around $1,600 as a whole, roughly 3.5 percent.

Sponsored

kshivark

First Name
Ketan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, Mazda CX9
I agree with the assessment that the overall car market is going through a rough patch, this is not limited to EVā€™s. Also to note is that with an overall car market slowdown, the premium sub segment would be more impacted than lower segments, again EV and Ice included. What would be interesting is how the brands react, we have started seeing large discounts on premium ICEā€™s and Teslaā€™s. Would the discounts result in customers taking advantage and picking up the ice deals. Rivian next qtr report will be closely watched.

On another note, while R2 is far away in ā€˜26, the segment spread in long term will definitely benefit Rivian.

OP
OP

LetsgoRIVN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
I find this relevant for EVs because unlike most news article declaring EV sales are dieing, this actually indicates it is not just EVs but the whole market appears to be under pressure.

This may also explain more as to why Ford and GM are cutting back on their EVs, the revenue may be off on their ICE divisions and they are trying to limit the bleed.
Very interesting point! And you donā€™t see mainstream media talking about car industry in general, they focus more on EVs as if ICE sales are growing fast!

GogglesPisano

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Donā€™t you guys get it? Nobody wants ICE vehicles. Theyā€™re a solution for a problem that doesnā€™t exist. The only reason they were selling is because those crazy right wingers think that fossil fuel is the answer to everything. Itā€™s just another part of their agenda and now the cracks are showing. All these companies will be dead in a year. Nobody would want them if it wasnā€™t for all that oil subsidy making the gas cheap.

/S

;)
Sponsored