First Name
Tatnai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot EX-L AWD
Occupation
Physician
I actually went with your suggested setup and have had it for about 10 days now.
- Only used for a Costco run just to test it and have had it on a couple other times checking how fast it cools down and heat.
- Overall I like it. Perfect size for us, fits great and there is room around it to still fit everything we had in the divider compartment that was in there previously.

RE: Whether 12v is always on
- It did not keep the cooler always on.
- When I brought the unit down to 32F outside of the vehicle on 120v then placed it in the vehicle to maintain that temp on the 12v, it never shut off over a few hours.
- However when I started the cool down in the vehicle on the 12v and tried to get it to 0F, it shut off.
- My theory is that voltage dropped enough to trigger the auto shutoff on the cooler. So it's likely "always on" but not enough voltage in certain situations to keep the cooler on.
- I just use 120v now.

Camping next weekend so will have more thoughts on it at that time. It does produce a decent amount of heat and struggles hitting temp when trying to drop it to freezing inside the car with cover on.
I'd suggest doing this outside of the vehicle if you can or making sure the cover in the rear of the R1S is propped up to let the heat escape.
There is a voltage draw cut off and I have mine set to the middle setting. Temp has always been maintained on the 12v for me, no issues at all either cooling it down or maintaining temperature.

Glad you like the setup!

Surferdude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Great information here thank you. My concern would be the unit would be cycling cold to hot cold to hot since the unit cannot stay powered on all the time. Unfortunate a vehicle with a battery of this size can't offer an always-on outlet available. Wouldn't this power cycling cause condensation build up and then when it powers off it gets moldy/smelly? I can't imagine it (along with things inside like beverages) wouldn't get gross being unable to stay on all the time?

Would a solution to keep it on all the time perhaps be to put in a separate small battery bank inside the same cavity so that when there is power to the 12V outlet the outlet can both simultaneously charge the battery and power the cooler? Then when power is cut to the outlet the remaining portable battery energy can keep the 12V cooler running until you run your vehicle again and the outlet regains power. I have no idea if this would work or not but an electric small cooler I can't keep cold all the time seems much less valuable and practical than one that works like a real mini refrigerator/freezer used in a house.

OP
OP

Tatnai

First Name
Tatnai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot EX-L AWD
Occupation
Physician
Great information here thank you. My concern would be the unit would be cycling cold to hot cold to hot since the unit cannot stay powered on all the time. Unfortunate a vehicle with a battery of this size can't offer an always-on outlet available. Wouldn't this power cycling cause condensation build up and then when it powers off it gets moldy/smelly? I can't imagine it (along with things inside like beverages) wouldn't get gross being unable to stay on all the time?

Would a solution to keep it on all the time perhaps be to put in a separate small battery bank inside the same cavity so that when there is power to the 12V outlet the outlet can both simultaneously charge the battery and power the cooler? Then when power is cut to the outlet the remaining portable battery energy can keep the 12V cooler running until you run your vehicle again and the outlet regains power. I have no idea if this would work or not but an electric small cooler I can't keep cold all the time seems much less valuable and practical than one that works like a real mini refrigerator/freezer used in a house.
You can set the 120V outlets to always on for a specified amount of time (this keeps the inverters powered on). The bigger question is whether the 12V need that to stay on, which I don't have the answer to. With my cooler unit set to middle voltage cut off I have no issues with it staying on and cold on the 12V (I keep the inverters on just in case). The battery in the vehicle is plenty big to support the cooler for extended use, and even if it draws from the 12V battery the vehicle auto charges those from the main battery anyways; bottom line the cooler should keep cold no problem irrespective of what you plug it into.

Once i am done using it, I leave the unit open to allow any condensation to evaporate. No mold issues at all.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Would a solution to keep it on all the time perhaps be to put in a separate small battery bank inside the same cavity so that when there is power to the 12V outlet the outlet can both simultaneously charge the battery and power the cooler?
Yes this is the solution. Products like this exist for the same context on ICE vehicles. There are any number of small Li-Ion battery stations. You can look at either the power stations Goal Zero, Eco Flow, Jackery, etc.. Or a lot of the larger DC fridge makers also sell products IcoGo for example has one.

Sponsored

Surferdude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Thank you both for your replies. I'm feeling much more confident about my cooler. Now if only I could get Rivian to deliver the darn thing to me. 5 years two months and counting...

OP
OP

Tatnai

First Name
Tatnai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot EX-L AWD
Occupation
Physician
The model you linked is 1 inch higher. Look at the pics in the OP; it is already a tight fit height wise, not sure the Rivian's floating cover for the well will fit as it should in either position with another inch of height.

Surferdude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
The model you linked is 1 inch higher. Look at the pics in the OP; it is already a tight fit height wise, not sure the Rivian's floating cover for the well will fit as it should in either position with another inch of height.
Ahhh ok thank you. So the 1" extra height is a no go? The unit you have literally just fits with the height? It looked like there may be 1" extra but it's hard to tell. I guess the cover will sit on top and basically just slide everywhere. It was the only unit I could get to ship to our location.

Surferdude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
I received the unit and can confirm the 25L unit does indeed fit. It has quite a bit of room left (to the sides) for the compressor to breathe as well. Loving the fridge.

OP
OP

Tatnai

First Name
Tatnai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot EX-L AWD
Occupation
Physician
I received the unit and can confirm the 25L unit does indeed fit. It has quite a bit of room left (to the sides) for the compressor to breathe as well. Loving the fridge.
Oh good, glad it worked out. The more options the better.
Sponsored