I'll say it... Driver+ getting worse, not better

KeithPleas

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus GX, Porsche Boxster
I don't use D+ (or adaptive cruise control) very much but I feel that - over time - it has gotten better.

That said, coming over Snoqualmie Pass yesterday there was snow/slush and I got a brief warning for radar sensors that showed locations to be cleaned - then it disappeared. I _think_ there was a new red icon on the...tray?...but I haven't seen a way to bring that graphic warning back - they just sit there and make you go "hmm". Eventually the snow/slush disappeared and D+ was back.

I don't trust D+ enough to use it in snow/slush even if it were operable. But the entire alerting mechanism is poor. I had another event a couple of weeks ago...left home with a heavy coat, decided to remove my coat, put on D+, unbuckled belt...keeping a hand on the wheel...and the system went nutzoid. FFS, removing a coat seems like a good use case for D+ but...no. Couldn't even engage ACC. Said I had to have the vehicle serviced. Went on for a couple of hours. Stopped for lunch and...on resuming it was back to normal. Truly shitty experience overall.
Sponsored

cjust2006

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adv Limestone
Occupation
IT Analyst
I'm having the opposite experience. It's killin it here in Houston. I use it to do nearly all my highway driving. When I have a problem, it's one of the ten (right?) cameras, or driving into the sun, or bad lane lines.

That said, I had a bad GPS antenna early on. Could be a factor.

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

I'm having the opposite experience. It's killin it here in Houston. I use it to do nearly all my highway driving. When I have a problem, it's one of the ten (right?) cameras, or driving into the sun, or bad lane lines.

That said, I had a bad GPS antenna early on. Could be a factor.
I agree with you about the bad lanes and low-sun conditions. Have noticed this too. Used to live in Houston spent many an hour traveling the beltways and I-10. So I would definitely want this working if I still lived there 😀… we also had a bad gps antenna/harness/interference. Two spoilers later and it seems to be fixed.

strykerwsu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy SS, Ford Bronco, Ram Rebel, Ford Flex, G8
With my rtt off for winter it has improved lol. Overall I would say mine has gotten much better since delivery 14 months ago.

We don't have a ton of Mapped areas here in Dorthyville. BlueCruise still puts it too shame but that still has plenty of issues as well.

raylepper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 R1S, 2013 Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Random Maker
Clubs

I use both ACC and Highway assist whenever I can. Both work quite well. I keep a couple fingers and a thumb lightly on the wheel pretty much all the time. Rarely get the warning.
I do have one complaint and one 'wish for':

Complaint: Highway assist noticeably wanders inside the lane, perhaps 6" either way. (Less wandering at night, interestingly.) I can actually see the little vehicle in the driver display moving left and right along with the actual vehicle. I can feel the steering wheel moving slighty.

Wish for: Passing a semi that's drifting toward my lane has me bailing out of Highway assist quite often. I wish I could just nudge the wheel a bit to gain some space on the side without disengaging Highway assist. (and for a really cool improvement, I'd love to be able to use a thumb button to bias lane centering left or right during a session. I'd use it to bias left when I'm in the left lane on the highway and right when I'm in the right. I think that's kinda what humans do anyway)

I think (yeah, what do I know?) that both my complaint and my wish for could be addressed through software.

Sponsored

MA927

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1s
Occupation
Retired
Just did a trip from SF to Salt Lake. D+ worked great on 1-80 through Nevada and Utah. Very helpful. But expanding the roadways you can use it on would be on top of my enhancements list. Looking forward to it

Rivian Head

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Physician
Just license Tesla’s FSD, and I will be a repeat customer for many years to come. Already using superchargers any way. No apple car play, sucky Alexa, subpar D+ are not going to bring customers back.

zymolysis

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T [RUS, PTC (upgraded), 20"] 2008 Ford E350
Occupation
third party service
Clubs

What gives with Driver+ lately? Am I the only one that thinks the behavior got worse the past few OTA updates? It's always been rather finicky and often frustratingly inconsistent. But recently the "Keep Hands On Wheel" sensor/sensitivity has gone haywire basically. Time and time again (lately) it starts flashing on the driver's screen and beeping to alert yet I've already got my hand (or hands) on the wheel more than enough to provide the feedback "proof" to the sensor. Even MORE upsetting is that many times lately on familiar, demonstrated highway drives it can only "work" for like a mile or so before all these intervention alerts disable it. When it displays that message about Driver+ unavailable until next drive my response (in my head) is something like, "Good, it's pissing me off."

Adding to my angst is that using just the lane-keep cruise control has also become way more "hold the steering wheel" sensitive. For instance, I don't recall that caution box always coming on the very moment you activate it but it does now. Maybe my vehicle has a faulty sensor. I guess I'll find out based on how other RIviots respond to this post.

This is primary a venting post. I am a true-believer Riviot having owned an R1T and now having the R1S. I reserved two R2's and would have reserved the R3X had that been possible. So I'm not some ex-Tesla guy complaining its nothing like AutoPilot.

:mad:
I think Highway Assist has gotten better, and will stay engaged for longer stretches. Perhaps there is an issue with the capacitive sensor on your steering wheel.
Sponsored