LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

What gives with Driver+ lately? Am I the only one that thinks the behavior got worse the past few OTA updates? It's always been rather finicky and often frustratingly inconsistent. But recently the "Keep Hands On Wheel" sensor/sensitivity has gone haywire basically. Time and time again (lately) it starts flashing on the driver's screen and beeping to alert yet I've already got my hand (or hands) on the wheel more than enough to provide the feedback "proof" to the sensor. Even MORE upsetting is that many times lately on familiar, demonstrated highway drives it can only "work" for like a mile or so before all these intervention alerts disable it. When it displays that message about Driver+ unavailable until next drive my response (in my head) is something like, "Good, it's pissing me off."

Adding to my angst is that using just the lane-keep cruise control has also become way more "hold the steering wheel" sensitive. For instance, I don't recall that caution box always coming on the very moment you activate it but it does now. Maybe my vehicle has a faulty sensor. I guess I'll find out based on how other RIviots respond to this post.

This is primary a venting post. I am a true-believer Riviot having owned an R1T and now having the R1S. I reserved two R2's and would have reserved the R3X had that been possible. So I'm not some ex-Tesla guy complaining its nothing like AutoPilot.

:mad:
Sponsored

Last edited:

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I assume you cleaned off all the cameras first?

OP
OP
LoneStar

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

I use the manual spray carwash down the road almost every weekend and heading there shortly. And I don't see that causing the steering wheel intervention alerts becoming manic.

But I will make a concerted effort to wipe them down after any inclement weather.

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

Are those the ones in the windshield or are there other sensors that need to be paid attention to?

R.I.P.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Cadillac ELR, Rivian R1T, Jeep TJ, F250
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Either it is getting worse, or I'm just getting more frustrated with it.

It is okay for perfectly straight stretches of I-5. Other than that, It is pretty much worse in class.

:confused:

Sponsored

technerd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Bronco, 2022 R1T, 2021 Model 3
Clubs

I've never seen the "Keep Hands On Wheel" message, so I have a feeling it's a faulty sensor somewhere. Only time I've had issues with Driver+, it turned out to be a dirty camera, and after a carwash it was a lot better. It's certainly not class leading, but it does enough to be useful on certain roads. That being said, I don't use it too often.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Couldn't tell you. Mine doesn't work for more than minutes at a time, most likely due to interference with the GPS signal due to my camper.

trevor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Agree and it's not just Driver+ that's getting worse, I'm having issues with cruise control. It goes into full on panic mode at unexpected times in good weather. Disables Driver+ and Cruise. Sometimes says the camera is blurred, but it's dry and clear. And yes, it regularly says my hands are not on the wheel.

I asked about the windshield sensors the other day and was told by Rivian support that it only contains rain sensors. If true, just the forward grill camera and radar is being used.

BCondrey

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
IT
I haven't seen this. I keep two fingers lightly on the wheel, on the same hand, and thats enough to keep mine engaged. On the interstates I travel (I95, I85) it rarely cuts out anymore. I do think the recent OTAs for lane change don't work as well as advertised. I think you may have a calibration issue. I've never once had to clean off my cameras, but I have had it refuse to activate because of rain or frost on them.

R1 EVY

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Occupation
Entrepreneur
Clubs

What gives with Driver+ lately? Am I the only one that thinks the behavior got worse the past few OTA updates? It's always been rather finicky and often frustratingly inconsistent. But recently the "Keep Hands On Wheel" sensor/sensitivity has gone haywire basically. Time and time again (lately) it starts flashing on the driver's screen and beeping to alert yet I've already got my hand (or hands) on the wheel more than enough to provide the feedback "proof" to the sensor. Even MORE upsetting is that many times lately on familiar, demonstrated highway drives it can only "work" for like a mile or so before all these intervention alerts disable it. When it displays that message about Driver+ unavailable until next drive my response (in my head) is something like, "Good, it's pissing me off."

Adding to my angst is that using just the lane-keep cruise control has also become way more "hold the steering wheel" sensitive. For instance, I don't recall that caution box always coming on the very moment you activate it but it does now. Maybe my vehicle has a faulty sensor. I guess I'll find out based on how other RIviots respond to this post.

This is primary a venting post. I am a true-believer Riviot having owned an R1T and now having the R1S. I reserved two R2's and would have reserved the R3X had that been possible. So I'm not some ex-Tesla guy complaining its nothing like AutoPilot.

We're family so you can vent without judgement 😂.

Sponsored

Fmc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 wrangler
I’m taking my R1S in for an alignment. Driver + consistently disengages. Doubt this will help but who knows.

beyondgravity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Not for me. It has improved a lot I feel; particularly lane change re-engaging has been wonderful.

ebarke

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
why does this matter?
Occupation
software engineer
Clubs

The regular cruise has always been annoying with the keep your hands on the wheel message for me. Unless I'm really squeezing the wheel tight or holding at the top half, and as soon as I lighten my grip, the message comes up. Very annoying, but not the end of the world. I don't understand why they have a message to hold the wheel when just turning on cruise. Makes more sense when engaging driver +, but obvious when just using cruise.

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

Only using driver+ rarely. However, last two times I’ve used it (a week ago, and a month ago), it seemed to complain more about keeping hands on wheel even though I was holding the steering wheel. I also have inconsistent behavior on the same stretch of road. I’ve been wondering if different parts of the steering wheel are more susceptible to false negatives. Also, seems like driver+ works better at night for me. But again, I have very little data.

edit to add: when it does work and stays engaged, driver plus seems better and more functional than it was 1.5 years ago.

Last edited:

sacramentoelectric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, BMW i3
Clubs

Couldn't tell you. Mine doesn't work for more than minutes at a time, most likely due to interference with the GPS signal due to my camper.
My RTT obscures my fin and causes the same problem. It’s incredibly frustrating. I don’t understand why Driver+ needs to disengage because of minor gps issues. It’s not like the vehicle is jumping all around the navigation map. The nav system clearly knows I’m still on a mapped freeway.
Sponsored