My Rivian Driver+ almost killed me

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
PSA: If you want to capture an incident, turn your hazards on. This triggers an incident that is saved.

(At least I seem to remember hearing one of you tell me to do this. Was I hallucinating?)
You can trigger this manual event by pressing the Drive Cam icon on the center screen. Bonus: it doesn't trigger the hazard lights...
Sponsored

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

You can trigger this manual event by pressing the Drive Cam icon on the center screen. Bonus: it doesn't trigger the hazard lights...
Also laying on the horn.

RoverZac

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram
Clubs

I've had two incidents with my Driver+, only one noteworthy. The first was a phantom braking occurrence... whatever. The second incident was on the interstate near Atlanta. While driving in the far right lane, the truck suddenly and unexpectedly pulled to the right as if it were rudely changing lanes to a lane that didn't exist. I was holding the steering wheel and was able to tense up. Simply stopping the wheel from turning canceled Driver+ for me. I only made it about 5 feet off the road, luckily it was still asphalt. Also happy to report I didn't pinch off any seat material.

Dave Cundiff

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S (DM, MaxPack); 2023 and 2019 Bolts
On our second Demo Drive, the Guide encouraged me to use the full Highway Assist feature on a Portland expressway whose right two lanes were stopped. It took less than 15 seconds for me to become fearful and disengage Highway Assist.

Feeling the R1S trying to launch us to the speed limit in the adjacent lane, going around a right curve and over a rise, when I couldn't see what was around the curve even in my lane -- let alone what the stopped cars were going to do in the lane to my right -- convinced me that Highway Assist was NOT as safe as I was.

Since taking delivery, I've watched our R1S warn me over and over that I'm driving on a seam in the asphalt, because it thinks this seam is the lane divider. Telling seams, lane markers, and linear puddles apart is a simple function, which the software has not yet mastered. Other directional functions are even more complex, with more at stake.

Adaptive Cruise Control is solid. I rely on it regularly. Other Highway Assist functions are not. I'll pass -- at least until Rivian improves it so that incidents like this poster's are no longer reported.

jwanderson88

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired
Something I discovered recently, or at least started paying attention to, is the graphic on the display that shows when and how much the Rivian is going to turn. I've found that this can prevent surprise turns because you'll be expecting them. I'm wondering if, during the incidents people are describing, the graphic showed the intended turn. Before the car veered right, did the graphic show that the car was going to turn right?

Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Something I discovered recently, or at least started paying attention to, is the graphic on the display that shows when and how much the Rivian is going to turn. I've found that this can prevent surprise turns because you'll be expecting them. I'm wondering if, during the incidents people are describing, the graphic showed the intended turn. Before the car veered right, did the graphic show that the car was going to turn right?
I'm not aware of such a display. The only thing close is the small graphic indicating sharp turns for CSA (Cruise Speed Assist). Maybe you are talking about the detected lanes?

J-Flo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Iā€™ve experienced the steering wheel tugging at times due to the lane keeping assist function. E.g., when I am intentionally drifting across multiple lanes of a twisting, empty freeway, it sometimes tries to keep me in a lane. it hasnā€™t really bothered me, but perhaps some aspect of that feature malfunctioned in the OPā€™s case.

Iā€˜ve never had a problem with the steering assist function except that itā€˜s not very useful on crappy roads or narrow lanes/winding routes, both of which are common in the areas where I drive.

The ā€œself-drivingā€ technology will continue to improve and is probably already safer than human pilots on average, in most instances. Eventually after the tech is fully developed it will or should become illegal for a human to drive a car in dense-traffic areas, though we are quite a ways from that. By that point, of course, Skynet will be able to wipe us out at will.

zymolysis

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T [RUS, PTC (upgraded), 20"] 2008 Ford E350
Occupation
third party service
Clubs

I have been working with Rivian since that time to try to get to the bottom of the issue and figure out why it happened
You have been "working with Rivian" all this time, but still have not figured out that the feature you are complaining about is (apparently) "Highway Assist?"

zymolysis

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
third party service
Clubs

I don't have a PhD in Rivian assisted driverology so I will do my best to answer this truthfully but my answers may not accurately reflect the different 'sub-features' of the driver's assist
If you pressed down twice on the right-hand stalk, then you engaged "Highway Assist." Pressing up on the right-hand stalk, pressing on the brake pedal, or physically turning the steering wheel should each disengage Highway Assist.
"Driver+" is an entire suite of assist and warning functions (of which "Highway Assist" is but one), and is always on or available in some capacity. Using the correct terminology to describe the situation or complaint will facilitate improved communication. I am surprised that Rivian support didn't press for clarification.

https://rivian.com/support/article/what-features-are-included-in-rivian-driver

zymolysis

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
third party service
Clubs

But trying to press that little spot on the screen, while driving at freeway speeds, can be difficult, especially if one's adrenaline is pumping after a scary incident. If you've pulled off the road and stopped - then yeah, that's a good option.

Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
But trying to press that little spot on the screen, while driving at freeway speeds, can be difficult, especially if one's adrenaline is pumping after a scary incident. If you've pulled off the road and stopped - then yeah, that's a good option.
No question. Sometimes it's difficult even while parked. The only benefit from my perspective is that it doesn't engage the hazards.

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

FWIW, I just finished another 2000 mile road trip, the majority of which was driving with Highway Assist / Driver+ enabled. Never once did I experience anything remotely like what the OP talks about. I had plenty of instances where the truck doesn't scooch over when passing a semi or other vehicle close to the line, but it doesn't advertise that ability anyway. Had a couple instances where it initially acted like it wanted to take an exit and at then "realized" that it should stay in the lane it was in instead...wasn't even all that abrupt. Had one or two instances with a stiff crosswind where it almost crossed a lane line, but corrected itself before I had to step in. Obviously don't use the system in a construction zone since it only works where highways are mapped...and construction zones don't match what was mapped, so just don't use it. It's honestly gotten pretty damn good. If they figure out how to add the scooching when passing vehicles close to the lane line I probably would barely have to disengage the system on a road trip.

bigsky

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 Rivian R1S
Occupation
RNS
100% agree.
Have only used Tesla FSD and Rivian Driver+. I know the limitations of each, and while Tesla FSD does a lot of incredible things, it is still far from perfect.

Rivian ADAS I do not trust at all. It swerves quite a bit on the freeway; it seems to have a hard time staying centered in the lane, and twice it already has wandered over into the other lane. At highway speed, an accident waiting to happen. Will wait for future upgrades.
Sponsored