Sponsored

Driver+ disengages every time I move my hand

Fmc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 wrangler
I recently drove an hour on interstate 10. most times I engaged driver + it disengaged. The few times it engaged, it would disengage every time I moved my hands. Am I doing something wrong? This is my second time using driver + in 6 months and I appears to be terrible.
#rivianfanboy
Sponsored

Polar

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
C40, LE CY R1S
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Were you turning the wheel, fighting Driver+?

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S PDM MP, 2019 Jaguar I-Pace HSE
Driver+ has very low tolerance for movement of the wheel. It seemed to get a little better with the recent update, but it's one of my biggest gripes with the system. I still haven't gotten used to it after 5000 miles of driving.

My I-Pace and the Lightning allowed you to nudge over a bit without completely disengaging the system. It's helpful to nudge over when a semi drifts over to the side of their lane on a curve, for example. Driver+ provides a lot of resistance against small adjustments and then disengages abruptly which can cause you to lurch out of your lane if you're not careful.

Polar

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
C40, LE CY R1S
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Not really..but I do have a slight pull to the right. Is my alignment so bad it disengages D+?
Possibly yeah

Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Not really..but I do have a slight pull to the right. Is my alignment so bad it disengages D+?
It will tell you you need an alignment if that were the case.

OP
OP

Fmc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 wrangler
Guessing you're moving the steering wheel.
Not at all. I placed my hands at 10&2 it would disengage. Placed at 5or7 disengage..no hands..disengage. I hate to say it but this has never been an issue in my M3…

defcon888

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T, 2021 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Occupation
Making money
Clubs

We have an R1T and ours had a very very very slight pull to the right. I didn't notice it but my wife did. We had it realigned at the service center.

I don't use Driver+ other than to play with it so to speak when I am driving. I was taught when I was going through drivers training back in 1980 to always have your hands on the wheel. Yeah, I am a boomer, but, to me, I don't trust it.....it is a great technology for sure, but the problem with any hands free technology is that those "hands are free" and will stay busy messaging, streaming videos and will take your attention away from the road.

I do use cruise control which isn't allowing the car to make directional decisions....only controlling the speed. My foot is no more than a few inches away from the brake.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Do you have anything mounted on the roof or over the antenna?

I have similar behavior that D+ will show available and then disengage very quickly only to be available again right away. I have determined in my case this is due to the overhang of my camper above the antenna.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Fmc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 wrangler
Do you have anything mounted on the roof or over the antenna?

I have similar behavior that D+ will show available and then disengage very quickly only to be available again right away. I have determined in my case this is due to the overhang of my camper above the antenna.
Nothing on top..I have yet to install the cross bars

beyondgravity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Not at all. I placed my hands at 10&2 it would disengage. Placed at 5or7 disengage..no hands..disengage. I hate to say it but this has never been an issue in my M3…
You need to take it in. I use D+ and can have my hands off to open a coffee cup lid etc. it drives. I use it everytime I am on highway.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Nothing on top..I have yet to install the cross bars
Ok then that’s not the problem. Why does it say it disengaged? It should give you a reason:

ie:

- Camera visibility
- Hands not on the wheel
- Road information not available
- etc

tplociniak

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, VW Atlas
Occupation
Construction Manager
Is the driver plus alerting you for hands on the wheel when you have your hands off or just disengaging without warning? The driver+ uses the capacitive sensors in the wheel to confirm touch but is sensitive to torque on the wheel, or resisting it trying to turn. Where as the normal alert for hands on the wheel, when not using driver+, requires torque on the wheel to confirm control.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Probably thinks you are trying to change lanes. Get an alignment.

I think you'll only get the steering wheel warning if your wheel isn't pointed straight enough down the road while travelling straight.
Sponsored