Sponsored

It isn't just Rivians with "weak" tie rods

krockett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FJ Cruiser
Clubs

I bent the driver’s side tie rod into a L shape on my FJ Cruiser going up a dry creek waterfall. Fortunately I had a spare with me and was able to trail repair.

If you wheel enough, it will happen eventually. I do hope to have one for the Rivian if they ever sell parts to public. I’m sure there will be an aftermarket for it sooner than later.
Sponsored

OP
OP
UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
Early on an R1S broke a tie rod on Fins 'N Things and Rivian fixed it for free. Not sure if that's still happening. I never broke a tie rod on any of my Toyotas but did weld an idler arm back together and straight axle J arms had a tendency to break so people went to Hi-Steer arms.
No Toyota, unless swapped with supercharged LS V8, would have the torque a QM R1 or weight 7k lbs either. Be aware of false equivalencies when drawing parallels. Every vehicle. Every part. There are limits. We simply don't know enough about Rivian's rods to be able to say whether it is appropriately or inappropriately spec'ed. All we know is some people broke them. We also know, regardless of vehicle, if you go off-road you're going to break something eventually.

Last edited:

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

No Toyota, unless swapped with supercharged LS V8, would have the torque a QM R1 or weight 7k lbs either. Be aware of false equivalencies when drawing parallels. Every vehicle. Every part. There are limits. We simply don't know enough about Rivian's rods to be able to say whether it is appropriately or inappropriately spec'ed. All we know is some people broke them. We also know, regardless of vehicle, if you go off-road you're going to break something eventually.
I suggest you do some research. A 40 year old Toyota 4cyl behind a marlin ultimate transfer case puts out twice the torque as a QM rivian to the wheels.

140ftlb motor x 150 crawl ratio vs 900 ftlb x 12x gear ratio
Sponsored