Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23QM R1T, Limestone + Ocean Coast, 21" & UBS
Occupation
Mechanical Engineering Lead
Clubs

I worked in DoD aerospace, as an ME, and am quite familiar with "shake, rattle and roll" environmental testing.... Vibration intensity and frequency are low in this application (no ICE engine vibration, either). As mentioned before, I wouldn't use a split lock, but it's not the end of the world "gloom and doom" either.
I also worked for DoD Aerospace as an ME (Lockheed specifically--SSC). That was my first gig out of college. And we had vibration tables for everything.

Regardless, vehicle vibrations are more prevalent due to the roadway than anything to do with engine vibration.

I'm not suggesting it's end of the world doom and gloom, but I CAN absolutely tell you from experience that cargo shake alone is WAY more significant than you're giving it credit for. I'll concede that a nice drive on an air suspension outfitted Rivan on a California highway doesn't directly correlate to riding in the back of a FedEx commercial semi in Schuylkill County Pennsylvania...

Are your bolts going to work themselves out in a day? No. In fact, I think the fact that these are fine thread alone is going to help tremendously. But I would also bet that these things will loosen and you could expect as much as 1/4-1/2 turn of backout every 1000 miles or so if not properly torqued and seated.

Just because you and I know this stuff, doesn't mean the average Rivian owner does. People should be informed. Informing was the beginning and end of my intention. Ever notice how vehicles themselves don't have any split lock washers anywhere? Especially anywhere on suspension, brakes, or other important drivetrain components.... while those components DO absolutely all have a torque spec and fasteners Engineered to elongate and provide a specific amount of tension to maintain themselves--insofar as any shadetree mechanic will testify that typically it's HARDER to remove them than to install them (thermal cycling, environmental impact and oxidation, and mechanical work hardening are all factors).
Sponsored

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
I also worked for DoD Aerospace as an ME (Lockheed specifically--SSC). That was my first gig out of college. And we had vibration tables for everything.

Regardless, vehicle vibrations are more prevalent due to the roadway than anything to do with engine vibration.

I'm not suggesting it's end of the world doom and gloom, but I CAN absolutely tell you from experience that cargo shake alone is WAY more significant than you're giving it credit for. I'll concede that a nice drive on an air suspension outfitted Rivan on a California highway doesn't directly correlate to riding in the back of a FedEx commercial semi in Schuylkill County Pennsylvania...

Are your bolts going to work themselves out in a day? No. In fact, I think the fact that these are fine thread alone is going to help tremendously. But I would also bet that these things will loosen and you could expect as much as 1/4-1/2 turn of backout every 1000 miles or so if not properly torqued and seated.

Just because you and I know this stuff, doesn't mean the average Rivian owner does. People should be informed. Informing was the beginning and end of my intention. Ever notice how vehicles themselves don't have any split lock washers anywhere? Especially anywhere on suspension, brakes, or other important drivetrain components.... while those components DO absolutely all have a torque spec and fasteners Engineered to elongate and provide a specific amount of tension to maintain themselves--insofar as any shadetree mechanic will testify that typically it's HARDER to remove them than to install them (thermal cycling, environmental impact and oxidation, and mechanical work hardening are all factors).
Too funny - I worked on "ACM" cruise missiles, back in the 80's - straight out of college! Very dynamic conditions there to design for, ha ha!

Edit: Speaking of corrosion - It was nice to see that @EV Sportline provided stainless steel fasteners (including the contentious lock washer), vs. the black oxide hardware (aka, "crap") that many vendors supply. Those would/will oxidize (aka, "rust") like a MoFo in this application! Lots of moisture behind the bed nut-plates!

Last edited:

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
I hazard to guess, but I think the split washers are effective when used between a "softer" grade bolt and a "soft" metal base material where the washer can get some "bite" between the materials if the bolt starts to loosen.

I used to work on outboards back in the day where almost everything was made of aluminum and most bolts were "soft" grade stainless. When backing out the bolts, that used split washers, you actually gouged/galled the aluminum engine block surface and bolt head due to the lock washer digging in to both surfaces while unscrewing the bolt. In that particular case where you had two relatively "soft" materials the split washers did work to prevent bolts loosening.. and believe me, those outboards produced plenty of vibrations. But, if you have a "hard" bolt and soft base surface the split washers probably aren't very effective since the washer can't "bite" into the hard bolt material so they won't turn when backing out and won't "bite" into the soft aluminum mounting pad.

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
Have had mine installed for the last year. I have found many uses for them, and when I don't need them I take the tie down rings off, and they don't get in the way at all. Great mod.

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Yes, I found my prototypes being used so much, I decided to upgrade to these. Any others?

Sponsored

SSteveEV

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, etc
Clubs

Just because you and I know this stuff, doesn't mean the average Rivian owner does. People should be informed. Informing was the beginning and end of my intention.
As an average Rivian owner, with a non-mechanical engineering degree, I appreciate the lesson in washers! Thanks!

I must have dozed off during that part of the bridge design class in Montgomery county.

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
As an average Rivian owner, with a non-mechanical engineering degree, I appreciate the lesson in washers! Thanks!

I must have dozed off during that part of the bridge design class in Montgomery county.
Yeah, we need to get back on topic - see post #1, all!

SSteveEV

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, etc
Clubs

Yeah, we need to get back on topic - see post #1, all!
Safe to say the average Rivian forum member would see post #1 prior to #22. But posts 2-23 drive engagement to #1 so you're welcome :)

Please share a tutorial for your favorite bungee cords as well.
I've had the ones with many loops in my Amazon cart for a year now but have been happy with my Harbor Freight options so far.

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Safe to say the average Rivian forum member would see post #1 prior to #22. But posts 2-23 drive engagement to #1 so you're welcome :)

Please share a tutorial for your favorite bungee cords as well.
I've had the ones with many loops in my Amazon cart for a year now but have been happy with my Harbor Freight options so far.
I have a variety of types - from Amazon, HF and even the color coded EV Sportline kit!

Edit: Not to mention several nets and tarps… 😆

a99ieJem

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T - Launch Edition
Occupation
Mech. Engr.
Clubs

Since I use these so much, I decided to upgrade my 16 prototype mounts to the latest @EV Sportline (aka, “EVS”) offering, and couldn’t be more pleased with the product received (see “as packaged” pictures below)!
Most of the mods I've done on my truck were inspired by @jebinc. I'm adding these to the list of future mods. Thanks again, jebinc!

For anyone who REALLY wants some type of washer that might help prevent hardware from backing out, Nord Locks would be the only acceptable response.
Nord Locks for the win! They are standard in most of my tinkering projects. Too many subsea equipment failures dealt with in my previous jobs to ignore washers. I'll let y'all know how my R1T tie-downs perform at 2000m water depth, lol.

Sponsored

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Most of the mods I've done on my truck were inspired by @jebinc. I'm adding these to the list of future mods. Thanks again, jebinc!

Nord Locks for the win! They are standard in most of my tinkering projects. Too many subsea equipment failures dealt with in my previous jobs to ignore washers. I'll let y'all know how my R1T tie-downs perform at 2000m water depth, lol.
I just ordered two more items from @EV Sportline. The rear bed mount rack holders (so I will now have four extra tie downs now - poor planning on my part) and the just released Gear tunnel sled and attaching work boxes. When I return from Japan at the end of the month, the goods should be waiting for me as it’s all in stock. Will post reviews as time permits.

RivianRunner

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck DM, F-150, Suzuki DR650
Occupation
Tester
Thanks for the insight. Since this is not a high torque/high heat, or high frequency vibration use case, the split washers are a design choice. Of course, you can go without the washers if you choose, but EVS includes them if you "want" to use them. Personally, I would use serrated full washers. You could also use flat washers and blue Loctite on the threads, etc. "To each," as they say! 🍻
Do you know what the safe working load is for these attachment points? I couldn't find a rating on the website.

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
I just ordered two more items from @EV Sportline. The rear bed mount rack holders (so I will now have four extra tie downs now - poor planning on my part) and the just released Gear tunnel sled and attaching work boxes. When I return from Japan at the end of the month, the goods should be waiting for me as it’s all in stock. Will post reviews as time permits.
The goods have arrived, but I’m still in Okinawa, so it will be a week or so before I’m home and can get crackin’ on the install!