First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
Hello everyone! Some of you may remember I had developed a prototype from cobbled together Amazon and hardware store parts (see link below for a historical account of the journey)!

https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/jebinc’s-bitchin’-no-rails-tie-downs-mod.13585/

Since I use these so much, I decided to upgrade my 16 prototype mounts to the latest @EV Sportline (aka, “EVS”) offering, and couldn’t be more pleased with the product received (see “as packaged” pictures below)!

https://evsportline.com/products/l-track-type-cargo-hook-kit-for-rivian-r1t-truck-bed

Installation was a breeze, as removing the plastic caps and Rivian bedliner “hold in place” hardware and installing these were “easy-peasy” – especially as compared to my prototypes!

These, “custom designed for the R1T bed” tie downs are machined to precisely fit into the bed liner depression and minimally protrude from the side of the bed – offering a very flush/clean installation (see attached pictures). Note: There is high manufacturing variation on the Rivian nut plates and plastic bed liner panels, especially on the earliest VINs like mine. The current EVS design accounts for this, so there should not be any installation alignment issues! In the remote chance you have a “bastard bed” (ha ha), you can easily realign the plastic bed panels, simply by removing all of the fasteners and “re-floating” the panel to center all of the holes – even the back panel that has eight fasteners!

EVS sells these in packs of four, but I recommend getting all 16, as I’ve used all my prototypes, extensively over the past year! An additional side note: The lower two side mounts require use of the two longer bolts provided (see picture of those holes as compared to the other 14, for reference). EVS also provides four shorted bolts that are used for the other 14 locations. It’s nice that EVS includes six bolts total, with each pack of tie downs – offering owners full flexibility in where to install them in your bed; a nice touch!

Accessories: These tie downs are based on standard “L-Track” bases, so you can purchase (from anywhere) different attachments (instead of the provided “loops”), but know there are different specs for L-Track, so be sure to select the one that has proper fitment with these! I’ve included a picture of an orange mount “D ring,” just as an example.

How do I use mine, you wonder? Here’s an incomplete list:
  1. Bungie cording just about everything down purchased at Lowes, HD, Costco, etc. – large and small.
  2. I have a net that I also bungie down around the perimeter for garbage trips to the local dump.
  3. Dirt and landscaping bark containment by bungie cording down a tarp.
  4. My bed extension net for when I have a load of 4’x8’ sheets of whatever, Same for lumber and my Honda Super Cub, Ruckus’ and Metropolitans. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005UGKC1Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  5. My gas can for the scooters and Super Cub
  6. Many more applications that escape me at the moment
Please enjoy the all of the pictures attached of the completed project! Now, on to the next project – A gear tunnel slider? Maybe? Thoughts/suggestions? More gear tunnel research needed!

"As packaged" photos

Rivian R1T R1S JEBINC’s Installation Tips and Review of EV Sportline R1T Bed Tie Downs!!! IMG_2120

Rivian R1T R1S JEBINC’s Installation Tips and Review of EV Sportline R1T Bed Tie Downs!!! IMG_2121

Rivian R1T R1S JEBINC’s Installation Tips and Review of EV Sportline R1T Bed Tie Downs!!! IMG_2122

Rivian R1T R1S JEBINC’s Installation Tips and Review of EV Sportline R1T Bed Tie Downs!!! IMG_2123

LOWER SIDES - 2X

Rivian R1T R1S JEBINC’s Installation Tips and Review of EV Sportline R1T Bed Tie Downs!!! IMG_2119

Other locations - 14X

Rivian R1T R1S JEBINC’s Installation Tips and Review of EV Sportline R1T Bed Tie Downs!!! IMG_2118

Installed shots

Rivian R1T R1S JEBINC’s Installation Tips and Review of EV Sportline R1T Bed Tie Downs!!! IMG_2124

Rivian R1T R1S JEBINC’s Installation Tips and Review of EV Sportline R1T Bed Tie Downs!!! IMG_2125

Rivian R1T R1S JEBINC’s Installation Tips and Review of EV Sportline R1T Bed Tie Downs!!! IMG_2127

Accessories and uses (Incomplete)

Rivian R1T R1S JEBINC’s Installation Tips and Review of EV Sportline R1T Bed Tie Downs!!! IMG_2126

Rivian R1T R1S JEBINC’s Installation Tips and Review of EV Sportline R1T Bed Tie Downs!!! IMG_2128
Sponsored

Last edited:

Oldsmobile_Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG/FE R1T recv'd 3/31/2023
Occupation
I build stuff
Clubs

Thanks for sharing the update! I just bought a four pack of these and hadn't installed them yet. Tbh having a hard time deciding on the best locations, LOL. 🤷😆

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Thanks for sharing the update! I just bought a four pack of these and hadn't installed them yet. Tbh having a hard time deciding on the best locations, LOL. 🤷😆
Well, the solution to that might be to DM @EV Sportline for three more sets (16 total). They may still honor the discount price as if you had purchased all 16 at the same time.

Kidentist

First Name
Carlitos way
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3, Cayenne E-Hybrid, R1T DM Std.+
Occupation
Mouth Janitor
Link for purchase?? TiA

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Clubs

I think we really need these JEBINC tutorials daily and expanded to everyday things, like how to make coffee and a PBJ.

Sponsored

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
I think we really need these JEBINC tutorials daily and expanded to everyday things, like how to make coffee and a PBJ.
Ahhhhhh, PB&J……. Mmmmmmm

Ever see that deodorant for “under tail”?! 🤣

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Clubs

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
If I can use it under my boobs I might buy some.
Clearly, you didn’t click on the link and watch the video…. It’s good for those, 🍆⚾⚾ and more….

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Clubs

Clearly, you didn’t click on the link and watch the video…. It’s good for those, 🍆⚾⚾ and more….
Oh I did. I stand by my statement.

R1Thor

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23QM R1T, Limestone + Ocean Coast, 21" & UBS
Occupation
Mechanical Engineering Lead
Clubs

Engineering nit:
When you install these, nix the split 'lock' /spring washers.

NASA has known for decades these things do the OPPOSITE of 'lock' hardware (Read: on anything that vibrates especially when you have metal-to-metal boundary condition, they will LOOSEN hardware over time). I challenged EV Sportline about this on their YT video, but they had the gall to proclaim to be smarter than NASA engineers: https://ntrs.nasa.gov/api/citations/19900009424/downloads/19900009424.pdf

Bottom line: AT BEST, split washers are useless. At worst, on your road-vibrating vehicle, they're going to loosen over time. Split washers are PROHIBITED in all of the Engineering groups I've worked for for as long as I can remember, for these very reasons.

If you're concerned about hardware coming loose (these are fine thread, so installing sans lock washers, in my opinion, is likely fine), add some medium threadlocker prior to install.

For anyone who REALLY wants some type of washer that might help prevent hardware from backing out, Nord Locks would be the only acceptable response.

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Engineering nit:
When you install these, nix the split 'lock' /spring washers.

NASA has known for decades these things do the OPPOSITE of 'lock' hardware (Read: on anything that vibrates especially when you have metal-to-metal boundary condition, they will LOOSEN hardware over time). I challenged EV Sportline about this on their YT video, but they had the gall to proclaim to be smarter than NASA engineers: https://ntrs.nasa.gov/api/citations/19900009424/downloads/19900009424.pdf

Bottom line: AT BEST, split washers are useless. At worst, on your road-vibrating vehicle, they're going to loosen over time. Split washers are PROHIBITED in all of the Engineering groups I've worked for for as long as I can remember, for these very reasons.

If you're concerned about hardware coming loose (these are fine thread, so installing sans lock washers, in my opinion, is likely fine), add some medium threadlocker prior to install.

For anyone who REALLY wants some type of washer that might help prevent hardware from backing out, Nord Locks would be the only acceptable response.
Thanks for the insight. Since this is not a high torque/high heat, or high frequency vibration use case, the split washers are a design choice. Of course, you can go without the washers if you choose, but EVS includes them if you "want" to use them. Personally, I would use serrated full washers. You could also use flat washers and blue Loctite on the threads, etc. "To each," as they say! 🍻

Last edited:

R1Thor

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23QM R1T, Limestone + Ocean Coast, 21" & UBS
Occupation
Mechanical Engineering Lead
Clubs

Thanks for the insight. Since this is not a heated/high heat, or high frequency vibration use case, the split washers are a design choice. Of course, you can go without the washers if you choose, but EVS includes them if you "want" to use them. Personally, I would use serrated full washers. You could also use flat washers and blue Loctite on the threads, etc. "To each," as they say! 🍻
Heat isn't my concern.
It has everything to do with vibration.

If you think your truck isn't vibrating as you drive down the highway, I have a bridge to sell you :D

I worked in the live entertainment industry for some time--when Engineers forgot to use proper locking fasteners, you should have seen how often a tractor trailer cargo door was opened and hardware rained out all over the place (that was after a single trip).

In fact, one of the biggest reasons we (Engineers) test on vibration and shaker tables within specific frequencies is explicitly due to shipping vibrations. Vehicles shake. They just do. None of my comment came from baseless speculation. It's backed with both experience and data. There are plenty of companies out there who have run some relatively involved experiments utilizing shaker tables to demonstrate this very thing.

Do what you want everyone. I'm just offering some knowledge. :)

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Heat isn't my concern.
It has everything to do with vibration.

If you think your truck isn't vibrating as you drive down the highway, I have a bridge to sell you :D

I worked in the live entertainment industry for some time--when Engineers forgot to use proper locking fasteners, you should have seen how often a tractor trailer cargo door was opened and hardware rained out all over the place (that was after a single trip).

In fact, one of the biggest reasons we (Engineers) test on vibration and shaker tables within specific frequencies is explicitly due to shipping vibrations. Vehicles shake. They just do. None of my comment came from baseless speculation. It's backed with both experience and data. There are plenty of companies out there who have run some relatively involved experiments utilizing shaker tables to demonstrate this very thing.

Do what you want everyone. I'm just offering some knowledge. :)
I worked in DoD aerospace, as an ME, and am quite familiar with "shake, rattle and roll" environmental testing.... Vibration intensity and frequency are low in this application (no ICE engine vibration, either). As mentioned before, as mentioned above, I wouldn't use a split lock washer, but it's not the end of the world "gloom and doom" either. Also, not a mission critical application! These are M6 nut plates and bolts; not intended to be used in high load/ratchet strap applications - like securing a pallet of bricks or Harley FatBoy.... 😉

Thanks for sharing your view.
Sponsored

Last edited: