Kia EV9 - Final Testing - Q1 2023 Launch

JerseyGreens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S ADV
Occupation
CAT Property Underwriter
Disclaimer: I follow Kia closely because I have a 2021 Telluride...just sharing. Competition is a good thing for the EV market. For those that don't care for the off-roading capabilities this would be a formidable option. Although with this vehicle one has to deal with sketchy dealer mark-ups...servicing repairs through Kia dealerships who probably have no idea what they are doing, etc. The EV9 will also be significantly cheaper than a dual motor R1S.

https://www.kiamedia.com/us/en/medi...l-technical-testing-ahead-of-2023-world-debut
  • Kia’s next all-electric vehicle, the EV9 SUV, undergoes final rigorous testing
  • The Kia EV9 world premiere is set for first quarter of 2023
  • Designed and engineered to transform the large electric SUV segment
  • New EV9 flagship model pushed to limits of durability on grueling selection of tracks, roads, and surfaces

(Seoul) August 25, 2022
– Kia has revealed details of the final intensive testing program undertaken by the Kia EV9 ahead of its world debut in 2023. The all-electric Kia EV9 will become the brand’s flagship model and will revolutionize the large electric SUV segment, while accelerating Kia’s brand transformation and affirming its leadership in sustainable electric mobility.

Developed over a period of 44 months to set new standards in design, performance, range, driving dynamics, technology and comfort, every facet of the EV9 is currently being pushed to the limits of durability at Kia’s global Namyang R&D center in Korea.

During this final testing phase, the EV9 is relentlessly subjected to a grueling verification program on a 4WD climbing hill and a rough terrain track, as well as a deep-water wading test, to ensure maximum reliability even in the most challenging conditions. Kia’s high-speed, handling, and low-friction tracks place every element of the EV9’s performance and road holding under the strictest scrutiny. At the same time, the unforgiving cobbles of the Belgian road enable Kia’s engineers to subject the EV9’s ride comfort and build quality to the harshest possible trials. In addition to the test program at Namyang R&D center, like every Kia model, the EV9 has also been subjected to a punishing testing regimen in locations all over the globe.

Kia first gave the world a preview of its newest flagship model in the form of the Kia Concept EV9, unveiled at Auto Mobility LA in Los Angeles last year. Personifying ‘Opposites United,’ the brand’s groundbreaking new design language, the EV9 production model will represent the pinnacle of what is possible with an SUV. The Kia EV9 developed on the company’s advanced Electric Global Modular Platform (E-GMP) will usher in a new era in sophisticated, high-technology, sustainable mobility.

Taking a bow in the first quarter of 2023, the Kia EV9 will follow in the footsteps of the brand’s ground-breaking all-electric EV6, which has garnered numerous critical accolades, including the highly prestigious European Car of the Year 2022 title.

Rivian R1T R1S Kia EV9 - Final Testing - Q1 2023 Launch 19329_The_Kia_EV9_undergoes_final_technical_testing_ahead_of_2023_world_debut
Sponsored

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
Yep, Kia/Hyundai have been killing it with the Telluride/Palisade. I'd expect a decently optioned model to be approaching $70k MSRP, given the equivalent ICE version of the above is approaching/eclipsing $50k these days. But there should also be models starting in the $50k's, which with the credit will be really appealing. It's admirable that both of them are willing to cannibalize their cash cows though. Their domestic peers, other than Ford, haven't been that willing or downright avoided it.

Taycanfrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
I was really unimpressed by the EV6 I drove. It has really favorable reviews, but I thought it felt cheap and drove like a generic compact SUV (except faster obviously).

I wasn't as blown away by my R1T drive as others have been, but it was still miles ahead of the EV6 IMO.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I was really unimpressed by the EV6 I drove. It has really favorable reviews, but I thought it felt cheap and drove like a generic compact SUV (except faster obviously).

I wasn't as blown away by my R1T drive as others have been, but it was still miles ahead of the EV6 IMO.
That makes sense, to me. The Kia is still a Kia. Rivian said they were trying to punch at the Range Rover / Mercedes level. Ultimately they are both great for their target markets, and although those may overlap some people in the middle, they are ultimately very different markets.

OP
OP
JerseyGreens

JerseyGreens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S ADV
Occupation
CAT Property Underwriter
Yep, Kia/Hyundai have been killing it with the Telluride/Palisade. I'd expect a decently optioned model to be approaching $70k MSRP, given the equivalent ICE version of the above is approaching/eclipsing $50k these days. But there should also be models starting in the $50k's, which with the credit will be really appealing. It's admirable that both of them are willing to cannibalize their cash cows though. Their domestic peers, other than Ford, haven't been that willing or downright avoided it.
Agreed. The fact Kia/Hyundai see "writing on the wall" at the Board level deserves a round of an applause.

They absolutely crushed it with the Telluride/Palisade and the EV9 is basically competing against themselves.

I have a Borla exhaust and a K&N Cold Air intake installed on my Telluride (SX-P). My brother-in-law has a top of the line 22 XC-90...borrowed mine for half a day and asked if I'd accept a trade on the spot. I laughed it off but he wasn't really kidding!

Sponsored

OP
OP
JerseyGreens

JerseyGreens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S ADV
Occupation
CAT Property Underwriter

They definitely can't be considered in the same realm of "luxury" or "driving experience" that Rivian provides.

Just an option out there coming to market!

GaryL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Silverado 3500
Occupation
Farm

I don’t know what trim level EV6 you drove but I would drive my EV6 hands down before I drive my R1T. No question

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various

I got a Chrysler 300 as a rental from Enterprise while R1T was at the SC. It felt kind of like a cheap Chrysler in a lot of ways. I was underwhelmed and much preferred the R1T....

OP
OP
JerseyGreens

JerseyGreens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S ADV
Occupation
CAT Property Underwriter
I don’t know what trim level EV6 you drove but I would drive my EV6 hands down before I drive my R1T. No question
Wait what - you sir have a R1T and an EV6...please tell us more about your experiences!

GaryL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Silverado 3500
Occupation
Farm
Not much to say. Two different vehicles with two different use cases. Personally I enjoy driving the EV6 over the R1T. Lane assist is much better on the Kia. For me the Kia is easier to enter and exit and the Kia has a larger back seat. But like I said too totally different use cases. "Your mileage may vary"

Sponsored

Canthoney

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Kia EV6 FE, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Self-Employed: Real Estate Management
I have an EV6 as well, and every time I drive it I’m so impressed by the attention to detail they put into the vehicle. There’s so many customization options, and the tech is better than the Rivian at this point, of course Rivian could get past it with software updates.

Honestly it’s a very good car, and I’m super impressed with what Kia, and by extension Hyundai, have done in this market so far. I’m really excited to see what the EV9 will turn out to be

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV...R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
retired
Disclaimer: I follow Kia closely because I have a 2021 Telluride...just sharing. Competition is a good thing for the EV market. For those that don't care for the off-roading capabilities this would be a formidable option. Although with this vehicle one has to deal with sketchy dealer mark-ups...servicing repairs through Kia dealerships who probably have no idea what they are doing, etc. The EV9 will also be significantly cheaper than a dual motor R1S.

https://www.kiamedia.com/us/en/medi...l-technical-testing-ahead-of-2023-world-debut
  • Kia’s next all-electric vehicle, the EV9 SUV, undergoes final rigorous testing
  • The Kia EV9 world premiere is set for first quarter of 2023
  • Designed and engineered to transform the large electric SUV segment
  • New EV9 flagship model pushed to limits of durability on grueling selection of tracks, roads, and surfaces

(Seoul) August 25, 2022
– Kia has revealed details of the final intensive testing program undertaken by the Kia EV9 ahead of its world debut in 2023. The all-electric Kia EV9 will become the brand’s flagship model and will revolutionize the large electric SUV segment, while accelerating Kia’s brand transformation and affirming its leadership in sustainable electric mobility.

Developed over a period of 44 months to set new standards in design, performance, range, driving dynamics, technology and comfort, every facet of the EV9 is currently being pushed to the limits of durability at Kia’s global Namyang R&D center in Korea.

During this final testing phase, the EV9 is relentlessly subjected to a grueling verification program on a 4WD climbing hill and a rough terrain track, as well as a deep-water wading test, to ensure maximum reliability even in the most challenging conditions. Kia’s high-speed, handling, and low-friction tracks place every element of the EV9’s performance and road holding under the strictest scrutiny. At the same time, the unforgiving cobbles of the Belgian road enable Kia’s engineers to subject the EV9’s ride comfort and build quality to the harshest possible trials. In addition to the test program at Namyang R&D center, like every Kia model, the EV9 has also been subjected to a punishing testing regimen in locations all over the globe.

Kia first gave the world a preview of its newest flagship model in the form of the Kia Concept EV9, unveiled at Auto Mobility LA in Los Angeles last year. Personifying ‘Opposites United,’ the brand’s groundbreaking new design language, the EV9 production model will represent the pinnacle of what is possible with an SUV. The Kia EV9 developed on the company’s advanced Electric Global Modular Platform (E-GMP) will usher in a new era in sophisticated, high-technology, sustainable mobility.

Taking a bow in the first quarter of 2023, the Kia EV9 will follow in the footsteps of the brand’s ground-breaking all-electric EV6, which has garnered numerous critical accolades, including the highly prestigious European Car of the Year 2022 title.

19329_The_Kia_EV9_undergoes_final_technical_testing_ahead_of_2023_world_debut.jpg
My 1st EV was (still have it), the Kia Niro, 2019 Launch Edition...seems I have a thing for launch editions. It's a nice urban ride; my wife loves it, thinks the R1T is too difficult in parking lots. There were some teething issues and the dealer's mechanics weren't initially up to speed but overall, we're happy with it....

OP
OP
JerseyGreens

JerseyGreens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S ADV
Occupation
CAT Property Underwriter
My 1st EV was (still have it), the Kia Niro, 2019 Launch Edition...seems I have a thing for launch editions. It's a nice urban ride; my wife loves it, thinks the R1T is too difficult in parking lots. There were some teething issues and the dealer's mechanics weren't initially up to speed but overall, we're happy with it....
Thanks for sharing. This isn't anything new for Kia then...

If the first tranche of consumer R1S deliveries have any major issues/flaws I may consider waiting it out for the EV9. Time will tell but I'm following this closely.
Sponsored