Sponsored

Kia EV9. What many R1S buyers would be very happy with...

kvenom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
It's an absolute steal in Canada compared to the US. Top-of-the-line GT-Line is $81K CAD or $60K USD. While a new R1S starts at $116K CAD or $86K USD so Rivian is ripping us Canucks a new one with their pricing.
Sponsored

MidnightRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

It's an absolute steal in Canada compared to the US. Top-of-the-line GT-Line is $81K CAD or $60K USD. While a new R1S starts at $116K CAD or $86K USD so Rivian is ripping us Canucks a new one with their pricing.
Kia: $60,000 USD x 1.35 = $81,000 CAD

Rivian: $86,000 USD x 1.35 = $116,100 CAD.

This is basic math and conversion for weak Toonie Canadian maple bucks.

This has nothing to do with Rivian or Kia but everything to do with your Canadian Economy. At least you get healthcare for cheap.

Edit: looks like Kia is eligible for Canadian $5,000 EV credit which helps bring the MSRP down for Canada compared to America. This helps make the Kia more attractive in Canada versus America. I can bet this Kia will depreciate like a tank especially once new USA made EV9 are eligible for federal EV credits. Rivian will hold its value especially in Canada.

Rivian R1T R1S Kia EV9.  What many R1S buyers would be very happy with... IMG_7297

Last edited:

kvenom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Kia: $60,000 USD x 1.35 = $81,000 CAD

Rivian: $86,000 USD x 1.35 = $116,100 CAD.

This is basic math and conversion for weak Toonie Canadian maple bucks.

This has nothing to do with Rivian or Kia but everything to do with your Canadian Economy. At least you get healthcare for cheap.
GT-Line in the US is $73,900USD or $99,200CAD vs $60,000USD or $81,000CAD in Canada
Rivian R1S in the US is $78,000USD or $104,700CAD vs. $86,000USD or $116,500CAD in Canada

So Rivian is ripping us off, while Kia is giving us a bargain. It has nothing to do with the economy.

MidnightRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

GT-Line in the US is $73,900USD or $99,200CAD vs $60,000USD or $81,000CAD in Canada
Rivian R1S in the US is $78,000USD or $104,700CAD vs. $86,000USD or $116,500CAD in Canada

So Rivian is ripping us off, while Kia is giving us a bargain. It has nothing to do with the economy.
your government is picking up the $5,000 check.

looks like Kia is eligible for Canadian $5,000 EV credit which helps bring the MSRP down for Canada compared to America. This helps make the Kia more attractive in Canada versus America. I can bet this Kia will depreciate like a tank especially once new USA made EV9 are eligible for federal EV credits. Rivian will hold its value especially in Canada.

https://tc.canada.ca/en/road-transp...o-emission-vehicles-program-eligible-vehicles

kvenom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
your government is picking up the $5,000 check.

looks like Kia is eligible for Canadian $5,000 EV credit which helps bring the MSRP down for Canada compared to America. This helps make the Kia more attractive in Canada versus America. I can bet this Kia will depreciate like a tank especially once new USA made EV9 are eligible for federal EV credits. Rivian will hold its value especially in Canada.

https://tc.canada.ca/en/road-transp...o-emission-vehicles-program-eligible-vehicles
I know about the incentive. Its $81K without the incentive applied. Depreciation means nothing when the gulf in pricing is so large to begin with. Once all the pre-orders are fulfilled nobody is going to buy a $116K EV SUV with a range of 416km (standard pack). Rivian is going to have to lower the price dramatically in Canada You don't need to defend Rivian at all costs. Up here the EV9 is a much better buy, while it's more attractive to buy an R1S in the US.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Batman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S Launch Edition; Kia Telluride SX-P
I was planning on selling my Kia Telluride SX-P.

I preordered the 303 mile range EV9, $60k version. I went test drove it and as expected it had lackluster acceleration since this trim only has 206hp. But I knew that when I ordered it and was ok with this.

Interior was not as nice as my Telluride SX-P. I backed out thinking I may reorder but the mid grade one this time due to bump in hp and audio upgrade.

I nvr reordered. Top line has all the options that everyone wants. I'm not willing to pay $76k it. Plus there is no $7500k rebate unless you lease it. There were bunch of "but, but, but" scenarios, at the end I just decided to keep what I have.

MidnightRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Let’s flip it around for the consumer in USA.

Kia is ripping of Americans by pricing their vehicles lower in Canada yet charging a premium to Americans for the same vehicle.

Why would an American buy a Kia for $75,000 USD when they can get it for $75,000 CAD. Skip the Kia and pick up the R1S which won’t tank once Kia is eligible for $7,500 US based tax credit plus the pricing difference when converted CAD to USD.

strykerwsu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy SS, Ford Bronco, Ram Rebel, Ford Flex, G8
We purchased an EV9 about 3 weeks ago. As others have said, it’s a $60k electric minivan/kid hauler. Price and interior layout were selling points for us over an R1S, and the DC charging speed is great. It is a much quieter ride with no wind noise compared to my R1T. It’s a comfortable ride.
But the Kia app and UI drive me crazy. I just found out that wireless CarPlay cannot be activated if the vehicle hotspot is turned on. Nowhere in the Kia app is charging speed or time to completion displayed. The Nav system is not great. There are 5(!!!) different stalks/paddles on the steering column. One pedal driving must be re-enabled EVERY TIME you drive it. Driver profiles won’t stay programmed. I could go on. Mostly things my wife doesn’t notice or mind that much, but also makes me realize things I take for granted that rivian just gets right.
I'm always surprised about wind noise comments. I guess I got super lucky as my R1T has 0 wind noise. Now it's a pain for the kids to shut the doors since so sealed. Interesting if that much variation of builds.

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
Love our Ioniq 5 for the items noted above including 800v super fast charging, decent 300ish range, paddle regen adjust, CP, quickness, styling - at circa $48k.

While it may be sharp it ain’t the fit and finish of Rivian, let alone the performance comp to the EV9.

Heads up, Hyundai dealers are freaking pirates with many asking $10k above MSRP at height of the market during I5 launch. Do not let them gouge you.

MidnightRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

I know about the incentive. Its $81K without the incentive applied. Depreciation means nothing when the gulf in pricing is so large to begin with. Once all the pre-orders are fulfilled nobody is going to buy a $116K EV SUV with a range of 416km (standard pack). Rivian is going to have to lower the price dramatically in Canada You don't need to defend Rivian at all costs. Up here the EV9 is a much better buy, while it's more attractive to buy an R1S in the US.

Rivian doesn't need to do much at all to sell their vehicles in Canada. You're comparing a minivan to an off-road capable vehicle. You can get cheap family minivans and haulers but to get something that is capable on-road and off-road EV while hauling 7 people, you're gonna have to step up to $100,000+

Folks are paying $105,135 CAD for the 7 seater Luxury or 5 seater ICE(GAS) Overtrail+ Lexus GX550.

Tesla Model X 7 seater (EV) runs $114,590.

Rivian 7 seater dual motor with standard pack will run $116,500.

Rivian is priced exactly where they need to be for the competition and segment in Canada / USA for a 7 seater EV that is capable of going off-road.

They will bring out the lower end Explore model and R2S to pick up customers in the lower price points.

Kia EV9 is not comparable to GX550 or R1S when looking at their off-road capability.

All prices below in Canadian Monopoly Money.

Rivian R1T R1S Kia EV9.  What many R1S buyers would be very happy with... 1705345267269

Rivian R1T R1S Kia EV9.  What many R1S buyers would be very happy with... 1705345460648

Rivian R1T R1S Kia EV9.  What many R1S buyers would be very happy with... 1705345528198

Last edited:

Sponsored

sfvR1S

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S Quad Adventure 2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
Occupation
CRE
Clubs

I would guess a decent % of R1S buyers probably don't intend on taking their vehicle off-road so it seems like a pretty good 3 row EV family hauler.

MidnightRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

I would guess a decent % of R1S buyers probably don't intend on taking their vehicle off-road so it seems like a pretty good 3 row EV family hauler.
I would guess a decent % of Lexus GX buyers probably don't intend on taking their vehicle off-road but for years soccer moms have driven Lexus GX when they would be better off with a Highlander or Sienna.

Folks like to buy cars that speak to them even if they don't plan to use all the features. Case in point is a soccer mom with 4x4 and all terrain tires on her Lexus while using it to crawl the mall or drop kids off to school / soccer.

Rivian R1T R1S Kia EV9.  What many R1S buyers would be very happy with... 367397853_630756802367895_370654761606275750_n

Last edited:

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I like it. I also agree with others that the world needs more and better EV products. I'm a prime example of someone that bought the R1 more for the look than the capabilities. While my R1 has yet to see any off-road action, it helps me project a contemplative outdoorsy persona. I even went as far as to get the AT 20s. Signed up for an REI co-op membership as well.

sfvR1S

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S Quad Adventure 2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
Occupation
CRE
Clubs

I would guess a decent % of Lexus GX buyers probably don't intend on taking their vehicle off-road but for years soccer moms have driven Lexus GX when they would be better off with a Highlander or Sienna.

Folks like to buy cars that speak to them even if they don't plan to use all the features. Case in point is a soccer mom with 4x4 and all terrain tires on her Lexus while using it to crawl the mall or drop kids off to school / soccer.
True, but no one thinks "off-road adventure" when one describes Lexus. It's a "luxury" vehicle that can be used off-road, but most will probably never leave pavement...like G63 AMGs.

MidnightRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

True, but no one thinks "off-road adventure" when one describes Lexus. It's a "luxury" vehicle that can be used off-road, but most will probably never leave pavement...like G63 AMGs.

Folks will still spend big bucks even if they don't plan to use all the capability. Car manufacturers are aware of this and will capitalize on it for their shareholders. Just go look at all the SRT, AMG and M competition models that never get used to its full potential.

Case in point is a Louis Vuitton soccer mom who dropped everything to go look at the GX 550 which was only available for few hours before being moved to another dealership for a viewing party.

These folks are going out of there way to get vehicles that are not even going to be used to it's full potential. Lexus or the customer neither care about not using the vehicle to its full potential. They would still rather pick up the off-road capable Lexus over the mini-van looking family hauler.

Rivian will do just fine with their pricing and ability to introduce lower end Explore models for R1S and then eventually the R2 line up.

Even if this soccer mom won't go off-road, she still wants the ability to have it and the styling that goes with it.

Do you really think the $3,000 - $5,000 Louis Vuitton bag is any better than a Jansport bag I used in middle school? Doesn't matter, folks will still cough-up $3,500 for something that speaks to them and literally become bagholders in the process.

Rivian R1T R1S Kia EV9.  What many R1S buyers would be very happy with... 367397853_630756802367895_370654761606275750_n
Sponsored

Last edited: