Sponsored

Kia EV9. What many R1S buyers would be very happy with...

mike813

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S GW/OC/20 | 2020 Tesla Model Y
Clubs

https://www.wsj.com/lifestyle/cars/...-thats-not-just-for-elon-unbelievers-97347a59

I really want to buy a Kia EV9. There, I said it. Sure, it won't bounce across construction sites like my R1S, and it certainly won't hit it off the line, but it looks awesome kind of like the Telluride. I sure hope Rivian hits a similar gut feeling with the R2S. Maybe that will replace my 2020 Model Y in 2026 or so. No, I'm not selling my R1S, but I gotta give props when deserved.
Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
It's not for me but what the EV market definitely needs to help drive adoption is a broader range of product offerings that will appeal to a broader range of consumer wants and needs.

Redline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

It’s not for me, but I think it will hit the spot for many.

usulio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

https://www.wsj.com/lifestyle/cars/...-thats-not-just-for-elon-unbelievers-97347a59

I really want to buy a Kia EV9. There, I said it. Sure, it won't bounce across construction sites like my R1S, and it certainly won't hit it off the line, but it looks awesome kind of like the Telluride. I sure hope Rivian hits a similar gut feeling with the R2S. Maybe that will replace my 2020 Model Y in 2026 or so. No, I'm not selling my R1S, but I gotta give props when deserved.
It's really good but still expensive. The top models stack up badly against the R1S for the same price. The lowest $56k model is only 230 miles of range. The $60k model at 303 miles of range looks like the sweet spot.

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T

It’s a great car, and a perfect fit for anyone who wants a people hauler with lots of neat tech and a pretty fantastic interior.

We do Big Car + Small Car here so the GV60 is of particular interest, even though Wife is willing to hold out for an R2. If you haven’t checked one out, it’s absolutely worth a look. Their interiors aren’t for everyone but good lord are they nice.

Hyundai Group really has their collective sh*t together. I was fortunate enough to meet with the group’s Chairman a few years ago for work, and it was clear that man had a plan. I walked out of the room blown away.

Sponsored

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

EV9 is solid. As a family hauler it looks to be better than the R1S as it has more family friendly features and seems more luxurious. In our area I’d say 80% of R1S drivers are soccer moms. Tbh, R1S is overkill for them, EV9 would be better fit.

Bristlecone

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC40 Recharge, Toyota 4Runner
Occupation
Retired (newspaper reporter)
Clubs

Mediocre range with AWD, mediocre clearance, rapacious dealers

Joules Burn

First Name
Morris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, 2022 Kia EV6 GT-L FE
Occupation
Retired Electronics
I sat in an EV9 GT-Line. I considered it before I bought the R1S. It checked some boxes like my Kia EV6 GT-L FE. Car Play, AM radio, sunroof that opens. Lack of ground clearance was the deal killer. Also the dealer ADM which brought it up to $78,000 - Rivian country.

Chewy734

First Name
Ashu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW, Ford, Rivian
Clubs

The WSJ reviewer I’m sure had nothing but great things to say… spacious, pixel like LED lights, captain’s chairs, the tech (rear view camera, CarPlay, satellite radio, 5G, self parking, etc.

I posted my detailed review of it here: https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/...eorder-is-coming-next-week….22325/post-456166

And, I agreed, it’s a compelling vehicle. The problem is the price. If it was $20K less, I’d highly recommend it. But, at ~$80k, that’s a lot for a Kia, considering a dual motor R1 isn’t that much more and you get a better all-around vehicle, imo.

The only thing I perhaps liked more in the Kia was the Captain’s chairs option because we regularly use the 3rd row and wished it was easier to get in/out of. The self-parking was slow and didn’t do a great job. It was within the lines, but parked too close to the adjacent car that I couldn’t get out. Also, the pixel lights everyone raves about (not sure why) I don’t think are available with the matte blue vehicle color.

Now, I’m curious how the EX90 will drive like. Hopefully I’ll get a chance to check it out later this year.

Sponsored

TollKeeper

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Rivian R1S, 04 GMC Envoy XUV, 05 Saturn Relay 3
Occupation
Ast HR Director
I almost cancelled my R1S for the Kia EV9. I had a early reservation on the Kia. And it literally checked all the boxes for me... Except one. Power. What can I say, I am a petrol head!

TBH, I am still considering getting the EV9. The only time I can get in and out of the R1 easily is with it in Kneel Mode, and even then I still have a bit of adjusting to do to get it right. Than it takes a block or 2 for it to get into Standard right height, which makes for quite a bouncy drive for a block or 2. My back doesnt really like that!

If I didnt have a pre-price hike order.. I would absolutely have a Kia sitting in my Garage right now. The local to me Kia dealer is not doing any Market Adjustment, and selling at MSRP only (or less, depending on deals).

kyunam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 LS 400, 2023 Rivian R1S
Occupation
not sure what I'm doing
Clubs

The WSJ reviewer I’m sure had nothing but great things to say… spacious, pixel like LED lights, captain’s chairs, the tech (rear view camera, CarPlay, satellite radio, 5G, self parking, etc.

I posted my detailed review of it here: https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/apparently-my-ev9-preorder-is-coming-next-week….22325/post-456166

And, I agreed, it’s a compelling vehicle. The problem is the price. If it was $20K less, I’d highly recommend it. But, at ~$80k, that’s a lot for a Kia, considering a dual motor R1 isn’t that much more and you get a better all-around vehicle, imo.

The only thing I perhaps liked more in the Kia was the Captain’s chairs option because we regularly use the 3rd row and wished it was easier to get in/out of. The self-parking was slow and didn’t do a great job. It was within the lines, but parked too close to the adjacent car that I couldn’t get out. Also, the pixel lights everyone raves about (not sure why) I don’t think are available with the matte blue vehicle color.

Now, I’m curious how the EX90 will drive like. Hopefully I’ll get a chance to check it out later this year.
almost same thought as mine.
1) price
2) can’t avoid dealership visit
3) Hyundai/Kia’s designs are always fresh when they come out, but also their design gets bored very quick, to me.

Chewy734

First Name
Ashu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW, Ford, Rivian
Clubs

I almost cancelled my R1S for the Kia EV9. I had a early reservation on the Kia. And it literally checked all the boxes for me... Except one. Power. What can I say, I am a petrol head!

TBH, I am still considering getting the EV9. The only time I can get in and out of the R1 easily is with it in Kneel Mode, and even then I still have a bit of adjusting to do to get it right. Than it takes a block or 2 for it to get into Standard right height, which makes for quite a bouncy drive for a block or 2. My back doesnt really like that!

If I didnt have a pre-price hike order.. I would absolutely have a Kia sitting in my Garage right now. The local to me Kia dealer is not doing any Market Adjustment, and selling at MSRP only (or less, depending on deals).
Simple solution - get some running boards. I’ve done the same and it makes getting in/out so much easier without switching around the suspension. My 2 year old can climb in easily at standard height.

Aardvark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Model 3
I think the EV9 is a compelling vehicle, but I really soured on Hyundai/Kia when I went to look at an Ioniq 5 and the local dealership was charging a $10,000 markup. But in the big picture, the Hyundai Group is contributing much to the electrification of transportation in the US, and I hope they are hugely successful.
We have 95k miles on our Model 3. I think the timing will be right to replace that with an R2S in about 3 years. I couldn't be happier with our current R1S, and am excited to see what the R2 will bring. I don't think another Tesla is in our future. I don't like being told "you don't need a turn signal stalk, get over it."
Sponsored