Sponsored

SACDFJC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FJ40
with the rivian adjustable air suspension, a spacer lift is really all you need. just gives some extra ground clearance in the lower suspension settings and room for bigger tires. unless im missing something.
Not to mention it would be cost prohibitive to develop a replacement air strut that provided additional lift.
Sponsored

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
Not to mention it would be cost prohibitive to develop a replacement air strut that provided additional lift.
What are the chrome canisters with green DCE stickers?

Cycliste

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T/20AT/2DNU, BMC TMR01/SRAM AXS/454 NSW
Occupation
Amateur aero weenie
Clubs

I think those are air struts, but I know nothing except for watching off road fabricator videos. So I'm dangerous.

usulio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Am a newbie off-roader. Curious if a part of the benefit is to run in High or Standard to get better articulation (I have read this) also curious at what point it starts feeling tippy. Also if this allows running much bigger tires which seems necessary to level up the car (specifically bigger sidewalls)

Sponsored

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

Am a newbie off-roader. Curious if a part of the benefit is to run in High or Standard to get better articulation (I have read this) also curious at what point it starts feeling tippy. Also if this allows running much bigger tires which seems necessary to level up the car (specifically bigger sidewalls)
The articulation is going to depend on how much travel is in the suspension. Solid axles give the best articulation because they can have crazy amounts of travel. That’s especially true when the sway bars are disconnected. The main benefit here is allowing you to go over larger obstacles. Allowing for larger tires just helps that a bit more.

As far as it being a bit tippy, sure it’ll be a bit less stable in the curves but not nearly as much as doing this to a Jeep would. Like other EVs, the R1’s center of gravity is very low to begin with. Besides most folks aren’t going to drive on road at the highest suspension setting.

Personally, while I love looking at this, I’m probably not going make any substantial suspension mods to my R1T. The negative impact on range is my only real concern in that regard and my truck is already a very capable off roader. IMO, the best mod any of us can make to improve off road performance is to put on better AT tires.

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

Anyone get more pictures of the set up?

SDH

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE; Jeep Rubicon
This looks great but just reinforces to me why I'd love to see a Rivian without air suspension so you could really set it up for off-road.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Some additional photos over on their Instagram

Ducsinarow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
buncha stuff; 2 wheels and 4, old and new.
Occupation
cat herder
I agree; an option to order a 'downgraded' version of the R1T in the future that doesn't have air suspension would be an option that actual off-roaders would appreciate, especially if it brought the MSRP down.

I always appreciate built trucks (I have a couple) but this seems like a lot of effort and money for almost no additional tire circumference. If the tire size posted above is correct, the tires are less than one inch taller than stock? Sure, ground clearance is helpful, but that wasn't really lacking on these trucks.

As with most trucks; more clearance in the wheel well arches to allow larger tires would be the single biggest benefit. I don't see that changing on these trucks.

Aftermarket trim kit such as what are available for virtually all other trucks, anyone? Please.
Sponsored