Looking to rent/borrow snow socks for 20” in the Bay Area

JPC

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S Limestone - Forest Edge - 21"
Hey all, snow socks for the 20” tires are all sold out, heading to Tahoe Saturday and apparently there is a freak late March storm. Anyone in the Bay Area have a set they are willing to part with for a few days just in case they are needed?

-JP
Sponsored

A Land Rover Forever

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover, PorscheGTS, BMWi3, Tacoma Crew

Cyathus

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
r1s
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Hi JP,

i have a set for the 21” ties, not sure if they’ll work on the 20” ones or not. They are the AutoSock 870’s if you want to check.

Cheers!

Sponsored

Singletracker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T w/AT 20”
I’m a skier and have been driving in the Sierras for decades and never needed chains to get around. This is with multiple 4wd vehicles with A/T type 3PMS tires. There are R1, R2 and R3 chain requirement designations. R1 and R2 are the normal snow situation basically requiring chains on all vehicles except 4WD with snow type tires (A/T’s with 3PMS are fine). R3 conditions require chains on ALL vehicles, period. The things is, by the time they get to R3 conditions, the road is most likely closed. I can’t recall actually ever seeing an R3 requirement. Having said that, you are required to carry chains, just in case. I can’t recall ever having been stopped and have almost never actually had a set on board. They just wave me through.

Last edited:

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

I've been in R3 condtions. It's a Sht show with 2WD vehicles stuck all over the road even with cables on. I spent an evening going around stuck vehicles on a mountain road. At first I was like, "Oh I should tow that poor stuck guy out of the ditch." Very quickly there were so many stuck vehicles that I was simply in the oncoming traffic lane all the way up the mountain. I figured I find a spot to pull off whenever there was oncoming traffic. Not one car came down the hill. I got to the top and the roads were deserted in the middle of the night. There were several feet of snow on our 1/2 mile driveway. I didn't make it all the way up. Unbeached it the next morning.
Rivian R1T R1S Looking to rent/borrow snow socks for 20” in the Bay Area IMG_20191130_105616

My Avatar is exactly the same spot in the Rivian but I was smarter to avoid snow shovel duty.
Sponsored