Sponsored

Lte, gps, wifi are offline, and hard reset doesn’t work.

OverZealous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2023 R1S Quad-Adventure
Occupation
Product Manager / Front-End Developer
I think I might be having the same problem. Drove to the store yesterday and all was normal. Came out to go home and no GPS, no cellular, no WiFi. Otherwise seems fine but the hard reboots are failing as described in this thread so I'm waiting on a call back from the support team today to see what next steps will be.

The Bellevue SC apparently has no appointments until March, which definitely will not work, I need this fixed so hoping there's a better option.

Just glad this didn't happen somewhere I actually may have needed connectivity, I don't use the built in maps or music other than for triggering battery pre-conditioning if I'm driving to a charger but if someone was relying on the maps or needed the SOS service this is a pretty big problem.
Did you get the 2022.43 software update yet? They mentioned something about fixing reboot issues, but it confusingly mentioned "an SOS in progress", but it sounded like it might be related.

I had hoped you could at least force a manual reboot with .43 when the module failed, since a 12V reboot (disconnect/reconnect) is all it took for them to get mine working again.

Frustratingly, an end-user cannot easily perform a 12V reboot (they specifically tell you not to do it), which is definitely going to be a long-term issue if they don't provide documentation eventually to fix these kinds of issues when you are off the grid.
Sponsored

Taco Corp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Clubs

Did you get the 2022.43 software update yet? They mentioned something about fixing reboot issues, but it confusingly mentioned "an SOS in progress", but it sounded like it might be related.

I had hoped you could at least force a manual reboot with .43 when the module failed, since a 12V reboot (disconnect/reconnect) is all it took for them to get mine working again.

Frustratingly, an end-user cannot easily perform a 12V reboot (they specifically tell you not to do it), which is definitely going to be a long-term issue if they don't provide documentation eventually to fix these kinds of issues when you are off the grid.
No I hadn't installed that one yet, it's on my to do list for this week once I can get them to do the 12v reboot assuming that's the path things are headed down. I mentioned to them yesterday that they should have some way to force a reboot if the primary method is failing. Even if it's buried in a hidden service menu somewhere. Waiting a day or two for a call back then hearing that SC appointments are booked for months in advance isn't giving me a lot of confidence at the moment.

OverZealous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
No I hadn't installed that one yet, it's on my to do list for this week once I can get them to do the 12v reboot assuming that's the path things are headed down. I mentioned to them yesterday that they should have some way to force a reboot if the primary method is failing. Even if it's buried in a hidden service menu somewhere. Waiting a day or two for a call back then hearing that SC appointments are booked for months in advance isn't giving me a lot of confidence at the moment.
Well, in a small way, that could be good news, that they fixed the issue in .43 and you (frustratingly, of course) just didn't have it yet.

Sorry that the delay from the SC is long. I had to wait about a month to get mine fixed, but I'm 300 miles from my SC, so they had to tow it up. I'm honestly surprised they can't just do a 12V reset via remote service, but in my case, it enabled them to fix a couple things that needed a lift as well.

At least the truck remains drivable in this state. It's not optimal, but it's also not bricked. Small wins for us beta testers, I guess!

Taco Corp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Clubs

Well, in a small way, that could be good news, that they fixed the issue in .43 and you (frustratingly, of course) just didn't have it yet.

Sorry that the delay from the SC is long. I had to wait about a month to get mine fixed, but I'm 300 miles from my SC, so they had to tow it up. I'm honestly surprised they can't just do a 12V reset via remote service, but in my case, it enabled them to fix a couple things that needed a lift as well.

At least the truck remains drivable in this state. It's not optimal, but it's also not bricked. Small wins for us beta testers, I guess!
I'm 10 miles from the Bellevue SC and likely will be needing a windshield replacement from a rock hit on I-5 which is how I found out that the soonest they could get me in is late March. I don't mind driving it as is for now but hopefully a fix can be made sooner than later.

domoplaytime

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Adventure
Clubs

The Bellevue service center prefers to address all reported issues with a vehicle before returning it. Early build Issues like stuck windows and unusable USB-C storage are not as likely coming off the line any more, so eventually the SCs will get through the backlog of early production problems. By then there will be many more Rivians on the road, so who knows.

I'm glad Rivian is expanding in south Seattle.

Sponsored

zpowell

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, GMC Yukon
Occupation
Pilot
The fix, assuming hard reset doesn’t work, is to disconnect the 12v batteries. If you’re impatient enough you could just do it yourself, otherwise mobile service can do it in about 30 mins.

The tech I had removed the frunk tub, but you can access the 2 12v batteries from that trim piece behind the frunk.

Rivian R1T R1S Lte, gps, wifi are offline, and hard reset doesn’t work. C5C0E136-23BC-495B-81A1-7B3D420C067F

Pauma Valley

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
Sales
My vehicle (VIN 2847) is now having this same issue. I'm scheduled for service Jan 19th.

Under Software Update my truck says "Version Unknown".

With GPS down the truck does not know it's home so a charging schedule is not possible. There are some other quirks like SOS function no long works.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

My vehicle (VIN 2847) is now having this same issue. I'm scheduled for service Jan 19th.

Under Software Update my truck says "Version Unknown".

With GPS down the truck does not know it's home so a charging schedule is not possible. There are some other quirks like SOS function no long works.
"Updated membership model" beta testers

eaa56

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Wrangler, ecoDiesel, Audi e-tron
Occupation
Retired

I watched a tech perform the 12V battery reset, and while it's pretty simple to do, you do need to know the order of things, and also put jumper cables across the negative terminals before reattaching the positive leads. He also disconnected the high-voltage batteries via the emergency disconnect cable. The tech said that if you don't do this, the vehicle will throw all sorts of error codes. Didn't seem like an average do it yourself process.

Jared2

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Finance
Just took delivery of my R1S last week… some time over the weekend, the maps show “offline” with the cloud and a line through it. Satellite map doesn’t work, it’s not getting traffic data, but it does get charging station availability and the native Spotify app is working to play music (even with Bluetooth and Wi-Fi off).
So the vehicle is getting data, support has verified they see it is getting data, but certain parts are not communicating to each other…?

Is this the TPM issue?

Sponsored

themothaship

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I think I have run into this dreaded issue as well. I wasn't offered remote service for a 12v reset. I now have to wait for a month for a service appointment. At least the truck still drives.

Watching all of the folks excited about the ABRP update makes me sad as I won't have it for at least a month.

Pacblue22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Same issue, I am scheduled for August 30th which is totally unacceptable IMO...

TCM aka telecom module might need to be replaced...I get things break, but the timeline to replace seems a bit long. I guess it is not a tier 1 issue, as the car drives, but certainly more important than panel alignments if that is what is taking up 2.5 months of service center time...

I think I have run into this dreaded issue as well. I wasn't offered remote service for a 12v reset. I now have to wait for a month for a service appointment. At least the truck still drives.

Watching all of the folks excited about the ABRP update makes me sad as I won't have it for at least a month.

themothaship

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Same issue, I am scheduled for August 30th which is totally unacceptable IMO...

TCM aka telecom module might need to be replaced...I get things break, but the timeline to replace seems a bit long. I guess it is not a tier 1 issue, as the car drives, but certainly more important than panel alignments if that is what is taking up 2.5 months of service center time...
I feel ya.

I woulnd't feel so bad about waiting if the troubleshooting could be done up front so that the part is ready and things are good to roll once the time comes. My fear is that I bring it in and they confirm my suspicions and then I wait another month.

OverZealous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Not sure if this helps, but when my TCM failed, all they did was a 12V reset, and it’s been fine since.

I’m really annoyed we can’t do it ourselves. With the new vehicles that only have one 12V battery, it seems like we should be able to do it ourselves.

Or, you know, they could fix the reboot bug. I wouldn’t be surprised if that resolved most of the TCM module issues.

MIG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius; R1S

If it helps any, mine did not reset and needed a new module. The factory has programmed a new module (let's hope they also tested it) and it's at the service center ready to be installed. So it's been 10 days since I dropped it off and I should have it back in another 3.
Sponsored