First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S75D, Ford F350 Diesel, Mercedes GLC30
Occupation
CTO
Yesterday I drove up to Okemo in Ludlow, VT from MA for some skiing. On the way home I had the truck auto-recommend a charger. It was pretty far away and I had looked previously and found a closer one here: https://www.plugshare.com/location/326373

I ended up driving to that one, and not only did I charge at 50kW, the session was free. Its on the Shell Recharge network. Rivian knew nothing about it.

Anyone know what they're including/not including and why? Would be nice to use the in-truck trip planner but it seems I needed to use plugshare.

Up in VT/NH fast charge options are pretty slim.

Rivian R1T R1S Missing DC Fast Chargers IMG_1040
Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Yesterday I drove up to Okemo in Ludlow, VT from MA for some skiing. On the way home I had the truck auto-recommend a charger. It was pretty far away and I had looked previously and found a closer one here: https://www.plugshare.com/location/326373

I ended up driving to that one, and not only did I charge at 50kW, the session was free. Its on the Shell Recharge network. Rivian knew nothing about it.

Anyone know what they're including/not including and why? Would be nice to use the in-truck trip planner but it seems I needed to use plugshare.

Up in VT/NH fast charge options are pretty slim.

IMG_1040.jpeg
Try ABRP (A better route planner), I was very happy with it on my extended trip. I then was plugging the address into my Rivian navigation for the chargers I selected.

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

It may be a map filter setting. I believe one of the cutoffs is 100kW.

OP
OP
the_mace

the_mace

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CTO
It may be a map filter setting. I believe one of the cutoffs is 100kW.
I tried the 3 options. Also why don’t they have 50kW and higher?

virgnia_rivian

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mazda Miata
I tried the 3 options. Also why don’t they have 50kW and higher?
When I'm looking for DC fast charging I don't want anything below 100. I ideally don't want anything below 200. I'm guessing they left this out because of the charging capability of the vehicle. I know there are areas where 25-50 is all your'e going to get.

Also, there are many charging networks not available for search in the Nav system. This is why we back things up with PlugShare and ABRP.

I'll also add the Shell Recharge network is very new in the US. This may eventually be added as they come online. I suspect Rivian will use OTA's to continually update available charging networks.

Sponsored

jbronkoR1T

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adventure
Occupation
Music&Tech
If you input the address of a charger that isn’t listed on the Rivian NAV will the battery be prepared for fast charging? This would be an issue with the new Tesla chargers for example because they are not in the network. Also, I’ve used Shell Recharge a few times and I’ve had good experience. I also think a recent one in New York did in fact show up in the Rivian nAv.

OP
OP
the_mace

the_mace

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CTO
If you input the address of a charger that isn’t listed on the Rivian NAV will the battery be prepared for fast charging? This would be an issue with the new Tesla chargers for example because they are not in the network. Also, I’ve used Shell Recharge a few times and I’ve had good experience. I also think a recent one in New York did in fact show up in the Rivian nAv.
I put in the address but it didnt know it was a charger so it didnt prep the battery before charging.

jbronkoR1T

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adventure
Occupation
Music&Tech
I put in the address but it didnt know it was a charger so it didnt prep the battery before charging.
This is why I don’t understand why you can’t manually start the precondition process.
Sponsored