Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M340, Tesla M3, Rivian R1T
Occupation
It Engineer
Clubs

Second set is nearly bold at 50K miles. The truck eats them like candy...

Charging at Vegas - 1.jpeg

Near Three Corners - 1.jpeg
Wow 50k is impressive. I’m only at 14500 and needing new rears
Sponsored

OP
OP
R1Tkc

R1Tkc

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
It Engineer
Clubs

I had 12,500 miles on mine with minimal wear and no unusual tread patterns. Rotations at 5K, All Purpose Drive 90% of the time. I imagine my original tires will last 30K without a question. I switched to Coopers for a better off road tire here in the desert, but I'll toss the Scorpions back on at some point.

Scorpions at 12,500 miles.
20231113_202102.jpg

The picture below shows my Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT's at the 22,000 mile mark. Impressive tire.
20231007_083744.jpg
How has your range been with the coopers?

and how has performance in snow been compared to the Pirellis? (If you’ve been driving in those conditions)

Mark_AZR1T

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
R1T Launch, R1S Canyon Red
Clubs

How has your range been with the coopers?

and how has performance in snow been compared to the Pirellis? (If you’ve been driving in those conditions)
The Coopers are Load Range E, so they have a 80psi rating. I run the at 60-65psi and the range is identical (not harsh at 60psi). I've done a few write-ups on them. Excellent wear, excellent wet and dirt traction (only hard pack snow to date), not noisy (yet). A more aggressive sidewall and they look the part as well. I'll get another set. Highly recommended.

OP
OP
R1Tkc

R1Tkc

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
It Engineer
Clubs

The Coopers are Load Range E, so they have a 80psi rating. I run the at 60-65psi and the range is identical (not harsh at 60psi). I've done a few write-ups on them. Excellent wear, excellent wet and dirt traction (only hard pack snow to date), not noisy (yet). A more aggressive sidewall and they look the part as well. I'll get another set. Highly recommended.
That’s great to hear, thanks for the insight! Will definitely look into them

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
Regardless, good riddance to the 20" Pirellis. We'll see how these Michelins wear but at least they have a warranty.
Please stop with the misinformed "warranty" innuendo. No OEM tires, including Michelins, are covered by tread life warranty if those tires are on a new car from the dealer. There might be some exceptions I'm not aware of, but this is true of every car I've ever owned.

Look up the Michelin warranty. You will see OEM tires installed on new vehicles are explicitly excluded, just like with the Pirellis.

Sponsored

OKRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T 10xxx
Please stop with the misinformed "warranty" innuendo. No OEM tires, including Michelins, are covered by tread life warranty if those tires are on a new car from the dealer. There might be some exceptions I'm not aware of, but this is true of every car I've ever owned.

Look up the Michelin warranty. You will see OEM tires installed on new vehicles are explicitly excluded, just like with the Pirellis.
Please don't get triggered on assumptions. There is no misinformation there. Indeed, OEM tires do not have a warranty, I never said they did. My point was that at least my new tires do if poor wear continues. You can buy another set of the Pirellis and they'll have a warranty too. For me, though, there were no positives to the Pirellis other than they looked okay.

prestapost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 RAM 1500, 2022 Rivian R1T
Replacing mine tomorrow, after more than 30k miles. Going with Maxxis RAZR ATs this time… although would be tempted to do Michelin Agilis CrossClimate if I was more focused on wear and efficiency.

Epicloop

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
So I know there’s been a lot of threads about this, but how has everyone else’s experience been with the 20in ATs?

SC says that I need new rears at 14k miles. I know it’s a heavy/powerful car, but new tires every year seems a bit crazy. Thoughts and experiences?
Same tires with lots of towing & twisty mtn hwy driving. First rotation at 12k miles, F-8/32, R -10/32 I hope to get close to 30k.
I find it odd that your rears wore faster, any rotations?

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I do 5 tire rotations and am just shy of 30k and likely make it another 5k.
Sounds like what mine were going for, 35k. I replaced all 5 at 29k with 9/32 on the best dropping to 5/32.

OP
OP
R1Tkc

R1Tkc

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
It Engineer
Clubs

Same tires with lots of towing & twisty mtn hwy driving. First rotation at 12k miles, F-8/32, R -10/32 I hope to get close to 30k.
I find it odd that your rears wore faster, any rotations?
Yeah did a rotation around 6k so I’m finding it really weird that I need new already…

Sponsored

R1Thor

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23QM R1T, Limestone + Ocean Coast, 21" & UBS
Occupation
Mechanical Engineering Lead
Clubs

I hate to be that guy. But...

I definitely was able to get Michelin to honor my treadlife warranty. My 2018 Volvo V60 Polestar (Engineered) ate through its first set of Michelin Pilot SuperSports at 12k miles. They had a 30k listed treadlife warranty. One call from my Volvo Service Parts Department, and I received a 60% pro-rate on a new set (since I only received ~40% of the advertised mileage). My service department just had to fill out some paperwork to receive the credit from Michelin, and charged me only 40% of their price.

In fact, Micheline REQUIRED the service center or dealership who could verify/validate who had installed the tires be the ones to call. In other words, if I called, it didn't matter. But when Volvo called on my behalf, it was a 3 minute conversation that worked in my favor.

[Only got 18k miles out of the second set, by the way--ended up swapping to Conti DSWs, but I definitely had to let up on the throttle around tight turns a bit more than I wanted do :D]

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
I hate to be that guy. But...

I definitely was able to get Michelin to honor my treadlife warranty. My 2018 Volvo V60 Polestar (Engineered) ate through its first set of Michelin Pilot SuperSports at 12k miles. They had a 30k listed treadlife warranty. One call from my Volvo Service Parts Department, and I received a 60% pro-rate on a new set (since I only received ~40% of the advertised mileage). My service department just had to fill out some paperwork to receive the credit from Michelin, and charged me only 40% of their price.

In fact, Micheline REQUIRED the service center or dealership who could verify/validate who had installed the tires be the ones to call. In other words, if I called, it didn't matter. But when Volvo called on my behalf, it was a 3 minute conversation that worked in my favor.

[Only got 18k miles out of the second set, by the way--ended up swapping to Conti DSWs, but I definitely had to let up on the throttle around tight turns a bit more than I wanted do :D]
These were the tires that came on your new Volvo, and that's Volvo giving you the credit, right? Michelin's warranty clearly states they won't do that, but no it doesn't surprise me that some dealers might give you a credit for good will, and it doesn't surprise me that Michelin will give the dealers some leeway. You were fortunate. But as Michelin does not cover tread wear on OEM tires, that's not something you could have counted on and if you didn't get the credit I certainly wouldn't BLAME either Michelin or Volvo for adhering to what their published warranty says.

"Michelin does not cover Original Equipment tires for mileage"
Sources:
https://www.michelinman.com/auto/assistance/warranty
https://dgaddcosprod.blob.core.wind...-michelin-oe-tires-owners-manual-warranty.pdf

krsoundtek

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I replaced mine around 28K miles. A couple of them could have made it a little longer.

R1Thor

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23QM R1T, Limestone + Ocean Coast, 21" & UBS
Occupation
Mechanical Engineering Lead
Clubs

These were the tires that came on your new Volvo, and that's Volvo giving you the credit, right? Michelin's warranty clearly states they won't do that, but no it doesn't surprise me that some dealers might give you a credit for good will, and it doesn't surprise me that Michelin will give the dealers some leeway. You were fortunate. But as Michelin does not cover tread wear on OEM tires, that's not something you could have counted on and if you didn't get the credit I certainly wouldn't BLAME either Michelin or Volvo for adhering to what their published warranty says.

"Michelin does not cover Original Equipment tires for mileage"
Sources:
https://www.michelinman.com/auto/assistance/warranty
https://dgaddcosprod.blob.core.wind...-michelin-oe-tires-owners-manual-warranty.pdf
To be clear.
Volvo CALLED Michelin.

And then Michelin GAVE VOLVO the credit to sell me the tires at the delta.

And yes, these were the OEM tires installed on the vehicle when I purchased it new.

At no point did any one of them give me any guff about them being OEM.

Am I saying this is standard practice? I am but an n=1. :)
Sponsored