First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Retired
Well, sometime between Tuesday, Nov 7 and Thursday, Nov 9, the Rivian App decided to stop working on my 5 yr-old smartphone. Apparently Rivian updated the app between those 2 dates, and in the process made Android 11 obsolete. The manufacturer (OnePlus) of my 5 yr-old phone stopped updating 2 years ago, so I'm stuck with Android 11 and NO Rivian App on my perfectly functional OnePlus 6T.

Wondering if anyone knows of any workarounds or fixes. Apparently I can flash my ROM w/ Android 12, but it requires many steps, any of which might brick the phone, the addition of a new OS (I thought Android was the OS ?), finding and installing a new camera app, etc., etc.

Comments and suggestions welcome
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Probably time for a new phone if the manufacturer isn't even supplying security updates for it.

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
The 2.4.0 version of the Rivian app was released on 26 October. You can check your phone (Manage apps in the Play Store) to see exactly when it was updated on your phone.

I don't think it should have updated on your phone automatically, because the new version of the app explicitly requires Android 12+.

You can always uninstall the app then install the previous version of the app. You will not get any of the new features, but it should continue to work for you. Search the web for how to do this.

And yes, like it or not, all phone software is on an upgrade schedule and many phones stop providing upgrades after some period of time. OnePlus discontinued software support for the 6T almost 2 years ago (https://community.oneplus.com/thread/1523813), so even if your handset is working fine it's only a matter of time until none of your apps will work.

OP
OP

jbeland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Retired
Probably time for a new phone if the manufacturer isn't even supplying security updates for it.
Yup, makes sense. My $600 5-yr-old phone works fine for everything but the Rivian app. Might as well spend another $800 for a new phone---NOT!!

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Yup, makes sense. My $600 5-yr-old phone works fine for everything but the Rivian app. Might as well spend another $800 for a new phone---NOT!!
How much money did you spend on the Rivian anyway?

Sponsored

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
So you spend 100K on a truck but the extra 800 bucks for a new phone is too much. Maybe my son will give you his old iPhone when I get him a new one here in a couple weeks. Get a new phone, a 5 year old phone is obsolete.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Let me make sure I understand - you are blaming Rivian because their updated app no longer runs on an outdated phone that the manufacturer has not supported for two years? Are you also still running Windows 7 Or Apple High Sierra?

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

If your phone is 5 years old probably it isn’t worth $600 anymore.

Sponsored

Redline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

This place never stops amazing me.

Someone has a worthless half decade old cell phone that isn't supported by its own crappy manufacture, and they're angered at Rivian because he can't run his $100k truck.

Got it...

Last edited:

Mignodon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian Rs1 / Ford F350 diesel
Occupation
Law enforcement Mariner
My 5 year old Galaxy Note 9 (1 gig total ) works fine with all my apps except rivian. It is a great phone and not worth upgrading.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
My 5 year old Galaxy Note 9 (1 gig total ) works fine with all my apps except rivian. It is a great phone and not worth upgrading.
Lack of security updates should be a reason for upgrading.

jbowen52

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Durango and Porsche Panamera
Occupation
Aerospace Support Engineer
So you spend 100K on a truck but the extra 800 bucks for a new phone is too much. Maybe my son will give you his old iPhone when I get him a new one here in a couple weeks. Get a new phone, a 5 year old phone is obsolete.
Mine is only 3 years old and won't work either.

iforbes

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
APRN
Clubs

Mine is only 3 years old and won't work either.
One of the PTO lens with android phones is there is no consistent software support or upgrades so, unfortunately, not terribly surprising. Also not Rivuan’s fault.
Sponsored