Thunderbolt Adventure

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Hi folks,

A question came up over on Reddit and it seemed worth sharing our response over here too. The OP was torn between wanting the R1T Camp Kitchen and preferring an SUV. Someone helpfully pointed out that we make an R1S specific camp kitchen too. Of course, there were a number comments and I attempted to address them all. Here's my response - hope this is helpful to folks!

We are the only company making camp kitchens custom designed for the Rivian R1T and R1S.

Of course every solution has pros and cons. I'll address some of the concerns mentioned so far.

Space consumption - We've eliminated the two large storage bins we used for our old camping kitchen setup that used to travel in the truck bed by putting all of those things into the Camp Kitchen's wax canvas bags and the storage module. We also no longer schlep the gas camp stove or fuel canisters.

Matthew (Thunderbolt founder and designer) is an industrial designer with 25 years of experience in design and manufacturing. Each design decision was carefully considered. For example, he considered the height of the OEM kitchen to to be too tall for most users, especially on uneven campsites where you're using the trucks' leveling function. The clamshell design give you more work space and puts the work surface closer to standard counter height. The premium marine grade plywood is treated with a food safe danish oil finish. Danish oil is a penetrating finish, so it is long lasting, but if you ever want to touch it up, you can.

Both the R1T and the R1S kitchens are designed to easily remove from your vehicle. If you have an R1T, the Gear Sled is a versatile storage solution when you aren't using the kitchen. It uses a unique linear bearing slide mechanism that combines smooth motion with very little "sway" and supports more than 200 pounds. Well placed cutouts make for easy connection points for bungie cords or other tie-downs. The R1S kitchen has gas shocks that enable it to tip back while installed so that you can access the spare tire well without removing the kitchen.

The most common thing our customers tell us about their Thunderbolt Camp Kitchen is how nice it is to be able to start cooking within minutes of arriving at a camp site. Since I'm usually on cleanup duty, I'd add that the design makes putting everything away for the night super efficient.

Current and past Rivian employees who were familiar with the OEM Camp Kitchen have purchased and installed the Thunderbolt Adventure Supply camp kitchen in their own rigs.

We're happy to answer any questions you might have. Feel free to reach out!

https://www.thunderboltadventuresupply.com/

Rivian R1T R1S Only Rivian Specific Camp Kitchens on the market -- Thunderbolt Camp Kitchen kyson-dana-tas-dr-05370
Sponsored

R1TCA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW R1150 GSA
I love the look of it and have been interested for awhile.

Very cool to hear the gear sled works separately.

What’s the ballpark pricing on shipping to San Diego / SoCal that you’ve seen lately?

OP
OP
Thunderbolt Adventure

Thunderbolt Adventure

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I love the look of it and have been interested for awhile.

Very cool to hear the gear sled works separately.

What’s the ballpark pricing on shipping to San Diego / SoCal that you’ve seen lately?
Thanks! We think it's pretty cool too! We recently revised our shipping rates and the California price is now just $99 for the gear sled and kitchen modules. Folks in other parts of the country should enter their address to get their calculated rate, but prices are reduced across the country. As a side note, we're also actively working on shipping solutions to Canada, so stay tuned!

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

Rivian should just give up on making their camp kitchen and license for the sale of this one through their website.

Sponsored

RedDragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Jeep Wrangler
Clubs

I love these products. I have a black R1T and would consider the shou sugi ban version but don't see any pictures of that finish on the site?

sacramentoelectric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, BMW i3
Clubs

Any chance you’ll be offering a version of the R1T camp kitchen that extends to the driver side?

Desiboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Plaid, LR4 ‘11, R1S
Clubs

Hi folks,

A question came up over on Reddit and it seemed worth sharing our response over here too. The OP was torn between wanting the R1T Camp Kitchen and preferring an SUV. Someone helpfully pointed out that we make an R1S specific camp kitchen too. Of course, there were a number comments and I attempted to address them all. Here's my response - hope this is helpful to folks!

We are the only company making camp kitchens custom designed for the Rivian R1T and R1S.

Of course every solution has pros and cons. I'll address some of the concerns mentioned so far.

Space consumption - We've eliminated the two large storage bins we used for our old camping kitchen setup that used to travel in the truck bed by putting all of those things into the Camp Kitchen's wax canvas bags and the storage module. We also no longer schlep the gas camp stove or fuel canisters.

Matthew (Thunderbolt founder and designer) is an industrial designer with 25 years of experience in design and manufacturing. Each design decision was carefully considered. For example, he considered the height of the OEM kitchen to to be too tall for most users, especially on uneven campsites where you're using the trucks' leveling function. The clamshell design give you more work space and puts the work surface closer to standard counter height. The premium marine grade plywood is treated with a food safe danish oil finish. Danish oil is a penetrating finish, so it is long lasting, but if you ever want to touch it up, you can.

Both the R1T and the R1S kitchens are designed to easily remove from your vehicle. If you have an R1T, the Gear Sled is a versatile storage solution when you aren't using the kitchen. It uses a unique linear bearing slide mechanism that combines smooth motion with very little "sway" and supports more than 200 pounds. Well placed cutouts make for easy connection points for bungie cords or other tie-downs. The R1S kitchen has gas shocks that enable it to tip back while installed so that you can access the spare tire well without removing the kitchen.

The most common thing our customers tell us about their Thunderbolt Camp Kitchen is how nice it is to be able to start cooking within minutes of arriving at a camp site. Since I'm usually on cleanup duty, I'd add that the design makes putting everything away for the night super efficient.

Current and past Rivian employees who were familiar with the OEM Camp Kitchen have purchased and installed the Thunderbolt Adventure Supply camp kitchen in their own rigs.

kyson-dana-tas-dr-05370.jpg
Hello there!

What's the wattage/BTU equivalent of the stoves?
Thanks

OP
OP
Thunderbolt Adventure

Thunderbolt Adventure

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Hello there!

What's the wattage/BTU equivalent of the stoves?
Thanks
The cooktop has a max draw of 1800 Watts, but I have to say, even boiling water, I rarely use the high setting. It also self levels. By that I mean that if you have burner A on high, and you turn on burner B, burner A will drop down to the "5" setting so that you don't pull too much power. I love cooking on it!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Thunderbolt Adventure

Thunderbolt Adventure

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I love these products. I have a black R1T and would consider the shou sugi ban version but don't see any pictures of that finish on the site?
Thanks for your interest! If you select "Flamed" under the color choice you'll see images of the shou sugi ban version. The flamed components are accents, not the entire piece.

This link should take you right there: https://www.thunderboltadventuresup...oducts/camping-kitchen?variant=45387760697637

Feel free to reach out if you have any more questions!

OP
OP
Thunderbolt Adventure

Thunderbolt Adventure

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Man looks like some awesome product! It's great to see companies like this supporting the Rivian community.
Thanks so much! We got into this business because we love our Rivian and the community the company has created. Even just driving our kid to school today in the rain was enjoyable! It is a FUN vehicle!

sacramentoelectric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, BMW i3
Clubs

Not at this time. The asymmetrical opening makes it a bit more complicated than it might seem.
I figured. Might be an opportunity in the future as it seems most awnings open on the driver's side. Keep us posted if you ever made a driver's side revision. Thanks!

Gary

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, tesla X, BMW XB7
Occupation
Sales
Clubs

Hi folks,

kyson-dana-tas-dr-05370.jpg
The camp kitchen sled I just received from Thunderbolt does not slide out very well and is jammed onto the R1T gear garage door. It seems like I may need to add additional washers to angle it enough to clear the open gear tunnel door. Any thoughts?
Sponsored