Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
A Little Bit of Everything
Clubs

Sorry if I missed a thread that discussed this.

I’m officially in preparation mode for my R1S that should be here this summer and I am on to exterior accessories. To increase storage space and to create the ability to have a sun shade without putting one inside while in road trips, I am planning on going with a platform style rack that runs the length of the roof. Planning on buying two sets of bars so I can have rack supported by all three bars placements.

Has anyone researched or bought a platform style rack that worked with the bars, was the right length for the R1S?

Rivian R1T R1S R1S Platform/Flat Top Roof Rack Recommendations 1684511707460
Sponsored

OP
OP
Swilly

Swilly

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
Clubs

IMG_3110.jpeg

84x56 rhino rack fits over crossbars
Looks great. Thanks for sharing. How is the range hit? Does it cover the top glass completely? And you wouldn’t happen to have an extra bar hanging around would you?

FooF

First Name
FooF
Threads
Reaction score
Website
foof.me
Vehicles
2022 R1S Launch Green
Occupation
DJ
Clubs

Still get light through glass just less. I like planks are wide so you can walk on top.
Getting ready for 1st trip but test drives showed minimal range hit. I have extra bar but was going to keep as spare. Rack is pretty easy to install and remove so I do not leave it on truck. I have front runner wind fairing to help with noise. Rack sits on crossbars but rear crossbar is lower and I flex the rack a little when I bolt it down with 18 Yakima 10mm lock n load t bolts and 18 steel plates that I fabricated that ride on rack plank lips. Not recommending this solution do so at your own risk.

OP
OP
Swilly

Swilly

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
Clubs

So what I am hearing is rack is the right size but not necessarily ideal given rear bar height difference and lack of non-custom attachments that work with the Rivian bars. Is that right? Sorry for the million questions. Just trying to avoid trial and error on my own after I get the vehicle.

Sponsored

FooF

First Name
FooF
Threads
Reaction score
Website
foof.me
Vehicles
2022 R1S Launch Green
Occupation
DJ
Clubs

So what I am hearing is rack is the right size but not necessarily ideal given rear bar height difference and lack of non-custom attachments that work with the Rivian bars. Is that right? Sorry for the million questions. Just trying to avoid trial and error on my own after I get the vehicle.
Correct and I would not want to be liable for the attachment method if something fails but it seems really solid to me so far.

jplblue

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Honda Element
Clubs

Still get light through glass just less. I like planks are wide so you can walk on top.
Getting ready for 1st trip but test drives showed minimal range hit. I have extra bar but was going to keep as spare. Rack is pretty easy to install and remove so I do not leave it on truck. I have front runner wind fairing to help with noise. Rack sits on crossbars but rear crossbar is lower and I flex the rack a little when I bolt it down with 18 Yakima 10mm lock n load t bolts and 18 steel plates that I fabricated that ride on rack plank lips. Not recommending this solution do so at your own risk.

I was thinking about getting an extra crossbar for our iKamper but noticed that three would not line up level. Thanks for confirming.

Could I bother you for more pictures of the wind fairing? Which model is it?

FooF

First Name
FooF
Threads
Reaction score
Website
foof.me
Vehicles
2022 R1S Launch Green
Occupation
DJ
Clubs

Sponsored

OP
OP
Swilly

Swilly

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
Clubs

It is super expensive $3750, but looks like an amazing R1S full roof rack. https://overlandruffrax.com/collections/rivian
Yeah, that’s out of my price range for a rack but it does look perfect. I have decided to start with a 49”x84” Yakima lock n load platform attached to the crossbars. Got 20% off with the REI members sale so I figured it was a good place to start. I also have all Yakima accessories and they apparently work well with this platform. Picking up rack today and get my R1S next Saturday.

FooF

First Name
FooF
Threads
Reaction score
Website
foof.me
Vehicles
2022 R1S Launch Green
Occupation
DJ
Clubs

FooF

First Name
FooF
Threads
Reaction score
Website
foof.me
Vehicles
2022 R1S Launch Green
Occupation
DJ
Clubs

StefanB

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Sales and BD
Yeah, that’s out of my price range for a rack but it does look perfect. I have decided to start with a 49”x84” Yakima lock n load platform attached to the crossbars. Got 20% off with the REI members sale so I figured it was a good place to start. I also have all Yakima accessories and they apparently work well with this platform. Picking up rack today and get my R1S next Saturday.
How did this work out for you? I'm headed out with the family, 4 people and 2 dogs, round trip from SF Bay area to Telluride and trying to figure out the best options to carry all our gear.

Thanks,
Stefan
Sponsored