RexRemus

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Clubs

I bought a 2nd set of the cargo tie downs and I'd like to have a rear cargo net in the R1S - most of the time it would be flat, but sometimes I might need/want to mount it vertically - but I'll consider that a bonus, mostly I just want it horizontal over the rearmost section. Measured out this is roughly 21"x43"

Rivian has the frunk cargo net, but nothing for the rear. I'm planning to 3D print some hooks that will pop into the quick-release holes on the cargo tie downs so I can pop the net out quickly if I need to REALLY secure something with the tie down loops, so I could add a little wiggle room on dimensions since I can custom make those, but Ideally I'd like something that can cover that whole space (~21x43).

Amazon has 1000 cargo nets for $7-15 - which all look kinda trash and most reviews are very mixed (and I only seem to find 16x43 max). I'm happy to pay $30-50 for a quality net that will actually last and can stretch without things coming apart - I just don't know a good place to go. I am tempted to look at OEM options that might be close in size as, while they are overpriced, tend to at least be decently made (at least my previous OEM Acura net was) but it's hard to get actual dimensions on some of those.

Does anyone have a go-to place for netting?
Sponsored

Cycliste

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T/20AT/2DNU, BMC TMR01/SRAM AXS/454 NSW
Occupation
Amateur aero weenie
Clubs

You could always make your own using 'two strand crown knots' if you can’t find a net that meets your needs.

For a laugh, don’t tell your lover what you are doing.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I bought a 2nd set of the cargo tie downs and I'd like to have a rear cargo net in the R1S - most of the time it would be flat, but sometimes I might need/want to mount it vertically - but I'll consider that a bonus, mostly I just want it horizontal over the rearmost section. Measured out this is roughly 21"x43"

Rivian has the frunk cargo net, but nothing for the rear. I'm planning to 3D print some hooks that will pop into the quick-release holes on the cargo tie downs so I can pop the net out quickly if I need to REALLY secure something with the tie down loops, so I could add a little wiggle room on dimensions since I can custom make those, but Ideally I'd like something that can cover that whole space (~21x43).

Amazon has 1000 cargo nets for $7-15 - which all look kinda trash and most reviews are very mixed (and I only seem to find 16x43 max). I'm happy to pay $30-50 for a quality net that will actually last and can stretch without things coming apart - I just don't know a good place to go. I am tempted to look at OEM options that might be close in size as, while they are overpriced, tend to at least be decently made (at least my previous OEM Acura net was) but it's hard to get actual dimensions on some of those.

Does anyone have a go-to place for netting?
Check Amazon, they have a lot of wagon type cargo nets like this that would probably work for you.

OP
OP
RexRemus

RexRemus

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Clubs

Check Amazon, they have a lot of wagon type cargo nets like this that would probably work for you.
I've looked there, that's kinda the point, I'm hoping for a "not" Amazon option that people know are good/quality. I'm not worried about cost I just want something that'll fit and not be broken on delivery, or fall apart the first time it gets even moderately stretched out. Most reviews for nets on amazon are very mixed and mostly not terribly good. I'm happy to pay for something that I won't need to re-buy every 2 months

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

I've looked there, that's kinda the point, I'm hoping for a "not" Amazon option that people know are good/quality. I'm not worried about cost I just want something that'll fit and not be broken on delivery, or fall apart the first time it gets even moderately stretched out. Most reviews for nets on amazon are very mixed and mostly not terribly good. I'm happy to pay for something that I won't need to re-buy every 2 months
While available on Amazon, this https://a.co/d/87ocMHr is a genuine Land Rover part that fit our old LR3. I cannot find the dimensions for it anywhere so you may want to contact the seller to see if they can provide them. Our original net was still good when I sold our 2006 LR3 with 249,000 miles back in June so it seems to be decent quality… if it fits.

Sponsored

citizen

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Atlas, RX350h
Occupation
Product Designer
Clubs

If anyone figures out vertical hooks other than suction cups on the glass, I'm very interested. Currently have one of those collapsible bins to try to hold everything down but would love a traditional net.

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
Heck, I wouldn’t mind a quality net for the R1T either. All the recommended ones on Amazon are made of small diameter elastic cords and don’t have enough tension unless you have enough cargo to make it taut. Strange there isn’t an official one in the Gear Shop.

OP
OP
RexRemus

RexRemus

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Clubs

Just did a little searching and the Acura MDX cargo net is fairly close on dimensions - enough that I'm willing to give it a try...

https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Acura-08L96-TZ5-200-Cargo-Net/dp/B00IFPTU6M

Had a friend who has it measure it for me and they said it was ~24"x38" I measured out the R1S tie downs at the far ends of the rails at ~21"x43"

Since I plan to 3D print my own connectors I can likely take up a little of the 21 to 24 gap, and the 38 to 43 gap is perfect to keep a little tension on it and if it's a little too snug I can add some relief when I print my mounts. I'll do more detailed measurements once I get the net (likely not for a while as I think it's going to become an xmas gift) and then design the mounts to accommodate and report back. I can likely release the STL files for it for free if there's any interest in it or print some for people who don't have access for a small fee in the worst case.

That net (assuming nothing has changed since 2015 when I bought it :D) was of good quality and was used frequently, for many road trips, moves, and grocery trips right up until I traded in the MDX in Sept of this year (7 years) so I'd have no qualms around buying it again. I just feel stupid now not keeping my old one as I assumed either Rivian would have one OEM, or someone else would, but it's a close enough fit to work I think.

Hopefully this helps someone else as well

Kenmecca

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.Directlineanswers.com
Vehicles
R1S; Audi A5
Occupation
Business Owner
OP
OP
RexRemus

RexRemus

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Clubs

Sponsored

Guidewire

First Name
Rodrigo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1987 911, 2020 Macan
Just did a little searching and the Acura MDX cargo net is fairly close on dimensions - enough that I'm willing to give it a try...

https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Acura-08L96-TZ5-200-Cargo-Net/dp/B00IFPTU6M

Had a friend who has it measure it for me and they said it was ~24"x38" I measured out the R1S tie downs at the far ends of the rails at ~21"x43"

Since I plan to 3D print my own connectors I can likely take up a little of the 21 to 24 gap, and the 38 to 43 gap is perfect to keep a little tension on it and if it's a little too snug I can add some relief when I print my mounts. I'll do more detailed measurements once I get the net (likely not for a while as I think it's going to become an xmas gift) and then design the mounts to accommodate and report back. I can likely release the STL files for it for free if there's any interest in it or print some for people who don't have access for a small fee in the worst case.

That net (assuming nothing has changed since 2015 when I bought it :D) was of good quality and was used frequently, for many road trips, moves, and grocery trips right up until I traded in the MDX in Sept of this year (7 years) so I'd have no qualms around buying it again. I just feel stupid now not keeping my old one as I assumed either Rivian would have one OEM, or someone else would, but it's a close enough fit to work I think.

Hopefully this helps someone else as well
curious how this worked for you since I am in the boat as you. Thanks!

OP
OP
RexRemus

RexRemus

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Clubs

curious how this worked for you since I am in the boat as you. Thanks!
Acura MDX OEM cargo net with my custom printed quick-release hooks finally put to the test today 😁

Seems to be working great, and while it's not entirely as snug as I'd hoped, it certainly does the job I wanted it to. It's super easy to install and remove thanks to the quick-release latches. All in all, pretty happy with it. I'd say that net is viable if you're looking for something to fill the rear space

I might be able to film a quick video of the latching bits tomorrow if there's interest

Rivian R1T R1S Suggestions for quality cargo net for R1S PXL_20231227_202240922

Last edited:
OP
OP
RexRemus

RexRemus

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Clubs

Here's an update of the final (for now :D) installation...

Rivian R1T R1S Suggestions for quality cargo net for R1S 1703794829205

Rivian R1T R1S Suggestions for quality cargo net for R1S 1703794845884

Rivian R1T R1S Suggestions for quality cargo net for R1S 1703794866762

Rivian R1T R1S Suggestions for quality cargo net for R1S 1703794884676

And a short video on it, apologies for the somewhat low quality it's a very dark day (way darker than it appears in the video) and inside a darker garage so black on black with a complex, small, repeating patterns seems to be giving the video encoder fits, but the gist of how it works and fits is there:

Last edited:

raylepper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 R1S, 2013 Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Random Maker
Clubs

Here's an update of the final (for now :D) installation...

1703794829205.png

1703794845884.png

1703794866762.png

1703794884676.png

And a short video on it, apologies for the somewhat low quality it's a very dark day (way darker than it appears in the video) and inside a darker garage so black on black with a complex, small, repeating patterns seems to be giving the video encoder fits, but the gist of how it works and fits is there:

@RexRemus
I really like what you've done with the fitting to engage the stock tie downs. I noted your mention of excess slack in the bungee. Here's perhaps another version of the anchor based on yours that might get it tighter and can be printed very cleanly and without supports. The dimensions are not correct-just visual representation. If you post the stl for the pin/anchor I could make an accurate model and share it back.

Rivian R1T R1S Suggestions for quality cargo net for R1S Screen Shot 2024-01-17 at 1.56.12 PM

OP
OP
RexRemus

RexRemus

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Clubs

@RexRemus
I really like what you've done with the fitting to engage the stock tie downs. I noted your mention of excess slack in the bungee. Here's perhaps another version of the anchor based on yours that might get it tighter and can be printed very cleanly and without supports. The dimensions are not correct-just visual representation. If you post the stl for the pin/anchor I could make an accurate model and share it back.

Screen Shot 2024-01-17 at 1.56.12 PM.png

Check this thread: https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/3d-scanner-works-test-prints-working-great.22136/

I like the design, one of my concerns with printing these in a "no support" orientation is that it would put the layer lines in what I feel would be the "weakest" alignment with regards to pulling force - I could see the bottom of the peg simply pulling off at a layer line below the metal latch and now you have a chunk of plastic stuck down there. Printing these "on their side", while requiring some supports, allows for the "long grain" of the print - the continuous filament - to run along the dimension I feel should be strongest. So it's a trade-off, but one I made knowingly.

I'd love to see what you come up with though! Thank you for the interest and support. It would be cool to build up a nice little catalog of quick-release accessories people can easily print and replicate.
Sponsored