Smeek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S (Quad Motor, Granite
Occupation
physician
Hi all!

I just wanted to make a little post comparing my new R1S to the EV i have been driving for 2 years and have put almost 50k miles on, the audi e-tron GT.

Of course, these are very different vehicles and there is really no reason to compare them. Decided to get the R1S for an expanding family and for my poor wife who has to suffer in the back seat with our kiddo on road trips. My wife MASSIVELY prefers the R1S to the Audi. They are marketed at different segments, different price ranges, and are completely different animals. With that disclaimer, i thought maybe some people out there would find it interesting.

Ride Quality
  • Despite the Audi's comparatively small tires and laughably small ground clearance, it rides great. it has an air suspension that is adjustable in different drive modes. It is very comfortable and its long wheel base makes for nice highway driving. It also has rear wheel steering and torque vectoring, so it feels smaller than it is in parking lots and changing lanes at speeds is effortless.
  • The R1S ride quality is very similar to the Audi. Somehow, this magnificent beast hides its 7000 lb weight very well. Turns are a little more clunky than the Audi (understandably) but not in an off putting manner. Ground clearance is great and i don't have to worry about scraping the bottom of the car on any minor uneven surface in parking lots.
Steering
  • The Audi's steering is a little lacking in feedback. Changing out the stock tires to a set of Michelin's helps but it is not what i would call very direct (like a Taycan, for example). It is probably my biggest complaint about the Audi. I also do not love how large the steering wheel itself is. It seems huge. It does have a nice premium feel, though.
  • I actually much prefer the R1S steering. It feels a lot more connected to the wheels, in turn making you feel a lot more connected to the vehicle. It is very direct. I like that the steering wheel itself is a smaller diameter.
Speed
  • The R1S is quicker from a stop, if you go full throttle in Sport. It feels about the same as the Audi if you are in All Purpose and just hammering the pedal without doing a full out launch. At speed, however, i think the Audi is a bit quicker (say from 60-90). The Audi has a 2 speed gearbox which allows it to be quicker on the top end and typically shifts into 2nd around 55 depending on how hard you are pushing it.
  • The R1S feels a little less sure of itself and less planted when mashing the throttle, to me. The Audi just feels completely effortless and always in control. The R1S just feels a little less planted when going full send. I think this could be largely a function of the tires, though. I have never liked Pirellis, in general. My Audi also came with Pirellis that weren't exactly confidence inspiring and swapping them to Michelins early on was a great move. I wish there were more tire options at 21" for the R1S; hopefully there will be in the Spring.
Exterior Design
  • I love, love, love the look of the e-tron GT. I had been following its development for 2 years before picking it up in 2021. I still think it is one of the nicest looking cars ever. The R1S is not as elegant, but i do love a good beefy/boxy SUV. I was not sold on the front end of the Rivian for a long time. It has grown on me and now that i realize it reminds me of WALLE i like it even more
  • I am impressed with the build quality on the rivian, save for some things coming up in the next paragraph. I just did my first detail on it and got a good look at all the panel gaps. It does seem pretty uniform. The passenger side plastic trim is maybe 2 mm off where the passenger side door and back seat passenger door meet, but it's minor and you have to go looking for it. PPF was applied great from the factory.
Driving Experience
  • This is where things take a bit of a turn for me. The speakers in the R1S are just mediocre. It really cannot hold a candle to the Bang & Olufsen system in the Audi. it's just night and day. I wish the speakers sounded better. They aren't bad, but the difference is obvious after 2 years in the Audi.
  • One pedal driving is new to me. I am not sure about it yet. I kinda don't like how i have to constantly 'let up' off the pedal which feels like an awkward position to constantly keep my foot in. The Audi has regen but it is not as strong as the R1S. It is also adjustable via paddle shifters. You can turn it fully off and coast.
  • The R1S has a pretty noticeable steering wheel shake at high speeds above 60 mph, as if a tire is out of balance. This is my biggest complaint about the car. It just feels shoddy. I am about a month from putting on a set of winter tires/wheels that came mounted and balanced from tire rack, so i'm interested to see if this is just a balance issue (although you'd think Rivian could properly mount and road force balance a tire for a new car...). The audi has no shake even when cruising at 80-90 mph. It is solid as a rock.
  • Wind nose is noticeably more in the R1S. This should not be surprising. It has a much less aerodynamic front end and not as expensive as the Audi. Still, i can't help but be disappointed by the amount of wind noise at 70 mph this thing generates.
  • NVH. The audi has some rattles, more than i would like for a car of its price point. The R1S has as similar amount which i can forgive because of its weight and lower price. It bothers me more in the audi knowing i paid $122k for it.
  • AC motor is quite loud in the R1s, even on the lowest fan setting. Not sure what's up with this.
  • Range is better in the R1S, but not by much. The aud is only EPA rated for like 240 miles but i routinely get over 300 to a charge. Even if it were truly 240, though, it wouldn't matter to me.
Reliability
  • I drive a lot for work. The Audi is a beast in the snow with proper tires. I have never had an issue getting where i needed to go or needed any service for it. It's been rock solid with 0 issues whatsoever. Very confidence inspiring. I have a good relationship with my service center that is just a few min from my house.
  • Day #8 with the R1S i was driving down the highway with my wife and baby in the back when i got a 'motor fault detected' error and had to go into turtle mode and get off the highway with hazards on, hard reset the car, and get back on my way. The error has not returned, but given this is such a new vehicle it was very disappointing. Time will tell if this is a real issue or just a software gremlin. I did contact service who said they would look at the logs of the event and get back to me about whether or not i needed to bring it in for service (because off the bat the next service day was 3 months out). None of this gave me a warm and fuzzy feeling but it's part of being an early adopter and i accept that. I haven't heard from service about it yet either.
Software
  • There is no comparison here. the Audi software is ancient, slow, and difficult to navigate. Although, the virtual cockpit looks great and is much more informative than the driver's side screen in the Rivian (for the love of god why is there no trip info on the Rivian?!) You are forced to use CarPlay in the audi because the native software is so awful.
  • I cannot decide what i want to do with the Rivian with respect to the key. Do i use the Fob? do i use my phone? i haven't had issues with the phone but read some scary stories about the cloud going down and people getting stuck. i like the idea of the Fob, but it is quite bulky to carry around with me. For now, i've been keeping it in my center console and using the phone as a key primarily with a key card in my wallet.

Overall
  • Overall i'm happy with the R1S. I do wish the steering wheel didn't shake like a go kart at highway speeds, (if switching the the snow setup does not fix this then i will have to bring it in for service -- hopefully just a balance issue), that the wind noise at highway speeds was less, and that the speakers were better but it drives great, the software is fantastic and i enjoy being a lot higher up off the ground on the road (i just feel safer). I also cannot wait to take it off roading, on ski trips and camping. We took the audi on a ski trip last year and it was just...not super comfortable.
  • I do miss really being able to whip around corners like you can in the Audi, and the overtaking speeds on the highway/general feeling of being more planted on the road with the audi. Hopefully Michelin ends up making Defenders in 21" this spring and that solves some of those issues.
  • Edit: forgot to add: while build quality on the whole seems good with the Rivian, my driver side door handle does make this weird audible click when opening the door that the other three door handles don't. It look like the body panel just under the handle is actually flexing a little causing the noise. I'm hoping mobile service can fix this type of thing. I noticed it the very first time i opened the door while taking delivery.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Joints4Sale

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, e-tron GT,Ram CTD,R1250GSA, Tuareg 660
Occupation
Orthopaedic Implant Sales
Good review. Both of these are currently in my driveway. My wife has now put 40,000 miles on the Audi. My biggest complaint about the e-tron GT is that Audi still treats it like a legacy car and builds in annoying and unnecessary "service" intervals. It's just a money grab to appease their dealer network.

manitou202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Ioniq 5, Lucid Air Touring
Spot on comparison. We had a 2020 Taycan (very similar to the Audi). Our biggest complaint with the Taycan was the software (just as bad as the Audi) and the rear seats were surprisingly small for such a long car. My three kids wouldn't put up with any time back there. Even the new Cross Turismo (wagon) version still has the tiny back seats with the hump in the middle.

That's just about a perfect EV garage.

OP
OP

Smeek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S (Quad Motor, Granite
Occupation
physician
Spot on comparison. We had a 2020 Taycan (very similar to the Audi). Our biggest complaint with the Taycan was the software (just as bad as the Audi) and the rear seats were surprisingly small for such a long car. My three kids wouldn't put up with any time back there. Even the new Cross Turismo (wagon) version still has the tiny back seats with the hump in the middle.

That's just about a perfect EV garage.
I am impressed you were able to fit 3 kids in the back seat of the Taycan! Maybe our car seat is just ginormous? I don't think we could stick 3 in the Audi.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
Yeah lots of these things echo my feelings on my SQ5 Prestige. The native tech features are borderline unusable. The in house navigation sucks and really isn't much better than the one I had in my 2020 Explorer ST that I got rid of almost immediately because I didn't like it. Night and day from the Rivian's native system that works rather well.

Sponsored

mindstormsguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Some
Good summary. My wife drives an etron (not the Taycan based GT, but the SUV that shares the Q8 platform), and my observations are pretty much the same, except for the sportiness of course. The etron and etron GT are completely different vehicles, but lot of the Audi stuff is pretty universal.

My wife prefers the Audi seats though. Partially because of the lack of a massage feature from Rivian, but also because the seam on the headrest and the height of the side bolsters don’t line up well for someone her height. For me though (6’3”), I find the Rivian seats more comfortable.

All of the audible stuff though…100%. I do so miss the B&O audio, quiet HVAC, and lack of wind noise. I’m pretty sure the slowest speed on the Rivian HVAC makes as much noise as the highest on the Audi.

TXKidd

First Name
Harrison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, R1T pre-order
I had an S5 Sportback as a daily driver a few years ago after they finally brought it to the US, and it was a fantastic car for that usage. Always had my eye on the E-Tron GT as a sort of electric version of that car, just have had a tough time justifying the price considering it’s a little more “legacy auto” than I prefer these days after now owning a Tesla & Rivian.

Regardless, I’m still always jealous to see E-Tron GT’s out and about and hearing that others enjoy them!! Definitely a beautiful car and quite the combo with the R1S! I enjoyed this slightly different comparison.

dgennetten

First Name
Douglas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Clubs

Read this review with great interest, as I had canceled my first-in-line (Fort Collins) order for the e-tron GT when I discovered the R1S.

Over time I became more convinced it was a great move for me. One week into my R1S: I couldn't be more thrilled. I hope Audi doubles down on EV. It has seemed less promising in recent years.

ozziegt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Quad, 15 Macan Turbo, 94 MR2 Turbo
The R1S is not going to feel as sure footed as the Audi, ever. There isn't much you can do about the tall sidewalls and higher CG on the Rivian vs the low profile tires on the Audi. That is going to create a large difference in handling, whether the tires are made by Pirelli or anyone else. About the tires from Rivian. The 21" tires are Scorpion Verde and the 22" are Scorpion Zero. Totally different class of tire. I run the Scorpion Zero on my Macan and they are a great tire. The Scorpion Verde gets a lot of complaints from Macan owners. I think they are fine for the R1S since I don't expect Porsche level driving out of it. But if you want better handling, you need to switch to the 22" tires. They are still huge tires with a massive sidewall so I don't know how good they can get.

We don't have any steering wheel shake and very little wind noise at 75mph...honestly I think you need to talk to the SC about those issues. I have heard complaints about wind noise before. I wonder if it's high expectations or if there is some inconsistency in the Rivian build quality here?

Interesting review, thanks!

Sponsored

Whale Blubber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 BMW X3 3.0si, 2021 Toyota RAV4 XLE
The R1S is not going to feel as sure footed as the Audi, ever. There isn't much you can do about the tall sidewalls and higher CG on the Rivian vs the low profile tires on the Audi. That is going to create a large difference in handling, whether the tires are made by Pirelli or anyone else. About the tires from Rivian. The 21" tires are Scorpion Verde and the 22" are Scorpion Zero. Totally different class of tire. I run the Scorpion Zero on my Macan and they are a great tire. The Scorpion Verde gets a lot of complaints from Macan owners. I think they are fine for the R1S since I don't expect Porsche level driving out of it. But if you want better handling, you need to switch to the 22" tires. They are still huge tires with a massive sidewall so I don't know how good they can get.

We don't have any steering wheel shake and very little wind noise at 75mph...honestly I think you need to talk to the SC about those issues. I have heard complaints about wind noise before. I wonder if it's high expectations or if there is some inconsistency in the Rivian build quality here?

Interesting review, thanks!
Had the same reaction -- I've got the 22" Zeros, and the handling is shockingly good for what this car is, although it'll never be as good as an actual sports car. Also no steering wheel shake here, so seems like maybe yours is out of spec.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
Man that Audi has a fat ass. Great looking car, I saw one at the dealership in their OD green color and I almost pulled the trigger but I had just bought my R1 like a month before I saw it there.

s4wrxttcs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
I like this comparison as its the Rivian I should have gotten versus the "Taycan" I really wanted, but couldn't afford.

I hope to see an update of this review when the Rivian hits 40K miles.

I'm also curious to see how Driver+ compares to the Audi system in less than ideal weather.
Sponsored