Sri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Land Rover, BMW, F250
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Just did our first R1S test drive. My wife really likes the black wheel options over the default. We were informed that changing the default wheel/tire combination will change the range and possibly our delivery window.

Question -
Do any of you pick either the 20" or 22" over the default config?
Do you notice a difference in the mileage and handling?
The configurator shows the vehicle higher with the 20" wheel. Is that true?
Any recommendations/observations?

We live in CO and driving thru snow, rain, sleet, ice, mountain passes is standard. Mostly paved with some dirt not a serious off-roader.
Skiing, Camping, Mt Biking are regular winter and summer activities.
Sponsored

EarlyAdptr

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sequoia
Occupation
Consultant
I think if you review enough tire threads here, one thing you'll find is a LOT of people staying away from the default 21" wheels simply because NO ONE other than OEM makes a tire that size. So we expect the replacement costs will be very high.

I'd go with the 20" wheel option. Yes, you'll get less milage (my R1S says ~305 in Conserve mode on a full charge) but you'll have much better traction for all of your off-road / winter activities.

If you like the dark option, you can get them powder coated for much cheaper than the OEM upgrade price.

Hope that helps!

madgrey

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2016 Miata, 2015 Viper
Occupation
Hardware Design Verification
One question you have to ask yourself is if you are willing to swap tires yearly for the snow use. If you are willing to do this, and since you are not heavy into off-road, the 22s may be the best choice.

The OE dark wheels look better than the same wheel powder-coated black due to the subtle two tone color scheme.

I ended up getting the 22s Brights with my order and later ordered a set of 20" Dark wheels for winter.

lefkonj

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A7/Q3 R1S ordered
Clubs

We went with the 22s, but with the bright finish. Love them. Now we don't get snow like you do but earlier this week drove 300 miles home from Boston during that snow storm, not a single issue at all.
Sponsored