R1T vs Cybertruck size comparison

CoHAP

First Name
Saber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
QX80
I have been fortunate to own a 2023 R1T quad motor for a little bit over 1 year. I have 19200 miles on it. It has been a dream vehicle and continues to get better with every software update. It has been trouble free except 1 windshield replacement (three rocks chips in 2 weeks), and 2 soft car resets. I do not 4-wheel, but I do camp. I tow a small trailer for work sometimes. I am a contractor and flip houses so I have always used the R1T as a true work/fun vehicle. I am fortunate to be able to charge at home, and I do not miss the LX570 or Q7 I owned in the last 10 years (both amazing cars for their time). I will NEVER own another ICE car for the rest of my life.

Back in 2019 I attempted to place a reservation for a Cybertruck (Attempted for over 2 hour at launch, then went to sleep because I kept getting error messages). The next morning I woke up to five reservations in my email box. I deleted 1, 3, and 4 and kept 2 and 5. My logic was let them work out the kinks out of early reservations, and maybe buy the second reservation and eventually get the fifth reservation to keep. (This is pre-Covid logic) Last week I was able to pick up my AWD Cybertruck. Let me start by saying that, Tesla is not an easy company to love. From their image to their delivery process they are borderline average at best.

The Cybertruck is a marvel of engineering. The 4 wheel steering and drive by wire are a game changer. I will not bore with the details because you can read all that online. For the last week I have been alternating everyday between the two cars to get a feel for them. I am no expert but I have owned my fair share of cars.

Comparing the two trucks: The Cybertruck feels larger inside including the second row. It is also smoother and a tiny bit quieter (35” tires on the cybertruck vs 34” on the Rivian. Both A/T tires). The Rivian has way more storage everywhere except the much smaller bed. The Rivian interior is nicer. The pictures I took are of both cars are on their highest driving (not off road) settings. The Cybertruck looks much larger but that is not the case in real life. It is 8 inches longer and a little bit wider but they both fit in my garage.

The fingerprints on the Cybertruck are real for the first few days, but the body will oxidize and different cleaning product will render this a moot point soon. You will NOT be disappointed with either vehicle. They are both AMAZING. I will be happy to answer any specific comparison questions.

Rivian R1T R1S R1T vs Cybertruck size comparison 20240428_092439

Rivian R1T R1S R1T vs Cybertruck size comparison 20240428_092401

Rivian R1T R1S R1T vs Cybertruck size comparison 20240428_092344~2

Rivian R1T R1S R1T vs Cybertruck size comparison 20240428_092326

Rivian R1T R1S R1T vs Cybertruck size comparison 20240428_092417

Rivian R1T R1S R1T vs Cybertruck size comparison 20240428_092447

Rivian R1T R1S R1T vs Cybertruck size comparison 20240428_092431
Sponsored

RivianRunner

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck DM, F-150, Suzuki DR650
Occupation
Tester
Can you measure the bed heights in the lowest entry modes? I was cutting firewood last week and was shocked how much easier the Cybertruck was to load vs. my F-150 4x4 with it's higher bed height and pesky wheel well intrusions. Without the wheel wells, the big, heavy firewood rounds just rolled straight in, with no energy-sapping maneuvering around the wheel wells. I was able to fit more rounds in too without the wheel wells messing up the loading pattern:

Rivian R1T R1S R1T vs Cybertruck size comparison 20240422_133253crsm

Rivian R1T R1S R1T vs Cybertruck size comparison 20240422_141705crsm

I ended up with 16 full rounds, one half round and a bunch of splits. I could have fit two more full rounds (if I had more wood available to load), without stacking three high or needing to tie down the load to prevent escape. As it was, I ended up with a total load of a bit over 2100 lbs. It drove like a dream with a heavy load and was super-easy to unload with no wheel wells, the rounds just rolled straight out. My F-150 was so high off the ground (stock) that I would have to climb in the bed to unload. With the low bed height, I was able to roll them out from the ground, using my pickaroon to hook them. Saved a ton of energy over my F-150.

I was able to cut non-stop with my electric saw for the first time ever, by charging one battery with the 120V outlet in the bed. I didn't even need to fire up my gas saw:
Rivian R1T R1S R1T vs Cybertruck size comparison 20240422_123745crsm

Both chainsaws, with gas, oil, batteries, charger, tools, spare bars and chains, and saw cases (one hard, one soft) fit nicely in the frunk with room left over for rigging ropes, tow strap, soft shackles and work gloves:
Rivian R1T R1S R1T vs Cybertruck size comparison 20240422_094714crsm

The large floor in the rear was perfect for all my long-handled tools:
Rivian R1T R1S R1T vs Cybertruck size comparison 20240422_142155crsm

I'm not sure why people say this truck isn't suitable for doing real work, making a direct comparison to my 2010 F-150 SuperCab XLT 4x4 with 6.5 foot bed, there was NO COMPARISON! The Cybertuck just trounced it in every respect. Ease of loading, unloading, payload capacity (my F-150 would have been well over it's rated GVWR), driving dynamics and safety when loaded (night and day difference), ease of getting in/out, tool storage, etc. Cybertruck made this job a lot easier and allowed me to load more wood, more quickly and without tie-downs. Even backing up my steep gravel driveway was drama free. In my F-150 I have to engage 4x4 mode and the nebulous throttle response typically causes a wheel to momentarily break traction and create a little divit in my driveway, no matter how careful I am with throttle control. The electric powertrain is so superior it's not even a fair contest.

ICE trucks are on their way out for most real world work tasks, even before one considers the fuel savings.

RivianRunner

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Tester
Can someone provide a R1T tailgate/bed height measurement on level ground when the suspension is in the lowest mode?

RivianRunner

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Tester
Can someone provide a R1T tailgate/bed height measurement on level ground when the suspension is in the lowest mode?
Can the Rivian not go into an entry level mode? For loading heavy items? Or no one publishes how low that makes the bed?
Sponsored