Sponsored

Received wrong battery pack in my R1T - Large Pack (instead of standard)

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I didn't charge it to 100% yet. Right now it's charged to 81% and shows 292miles of range

1711939986599-ny.jpg
in
In your charging session to go from 40% to 81% (or 85% if you get there). Post the session details, even better if you have them on your chargers app as well. It should show how much energy was added and thus tell you how big your battery really is.

Range on the GOM (guess-o-meter) is irrelevant.
Sponsored

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
I didn't charge it to 100% yet. Right now it's charged to 81% and shows 292miles of range

1711939986599-ny.jpg
in
The plot thickens. When you tap on the "Range based on All-Purpose" rectangular pane, what does it show you?

OP
OP

dcfurbflrm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Highlander
In your charging session to go from 40% to 81% (or 85% if you get there). Post the session details, even better if you have them on your chargers app as well. It should show how much energy was added and thus tell you how big your battery really is.

Range on the GOM (guess-o-meter) is irrelevant.
It was not a continuous charging session as I had to run errands all day. This is what it shows about the last charging sesssion (Don’t think it will be that useful)
Rivian R1T R1S Received wrong battery pack in my R1T - Large Pack (instead of standard) 1711942824939-to

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

That is the the same payload of the 21" DM Large Pack so either they put the wrong battery pack in your vehicle (unlikely) or the standard pack is just a software locked large pack that didn't get coded correctly in your vehicle (most likely).
Since the vehicle says it's a Large Pack, that's not a "standard that is software locked to large" - I think they just gave him a Large Pack.

I honestly can't in any possible realm imagine Rivian just shipping large packs software locked for $10,000 less, when they're already underwater on the large packs as it is.

Combined with the fact that the increase in range from Standard to Standard+ is the same as from Large to Max, it all points to "Standard pack is a physically smaller pack using the same chemistry as Large, Standard Plus uses the same physically smaller pack, just with the chemistry of Max."

Large pack has 9 modules. Standard has the range equal to if it has 7 of the same modules as Large.

Max is a 16% increase over Large, Standard+ is a 16% increase over Standard.

Everything points to "Standard and Standard+ are 7 modules, Large and Max are 9 modules. The longer-range in each module grouping use 16% higher density chemistry cells."

Tesla did the "software lock a bigger pack" because the smaller pack *wasn't* a good deal, and they expected to ship very few of them, and just made a smaller profit on the smaller-pack vehicles. But for Rivian, it's a huge price difference for "not that good a deal" really.

Last edited:

Sponsored

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

It was not a continuous charging session as I had to run errands all day. This is what it shows about the last charging sesssion (Don’t think it will be that useful)
1711942824939-to.jpg
You are correct.. not useful.

You would need to know starting and ending SOC (%) vs that 6.9kWh added. For every 10% the large pack should be ~13kWh for the most accurate test you'd want to have the longest charging session possible. Best of luck either way.

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

Just because the Moroney sticker says it has one thing, doesn't always mean it does. Fairly recently, the battery took a crap in my Tesla. It originally had 360 miles in range when new. When I got it back, it was 395. Should I call Tesla and tell them they put the wrong battery in when replacing it? Of course not. I'm sure in my case, it was intentional as Tesla just replaced it with what they sell now.

If the OP's truck has a large battery pack, as others have said, simply test it out to confirm by seeing how many kWh you use on a road trip from 100 to 0. If it's in the 128 range, then you got the big battery pack.

When you go to sell it someday, simply state that it has the large battery pack and show your proof of it. OP certainly benefits from it as it will increase the resale value and get to use that extra range for as long as you have the truck.

At this point, I'd keep my mouth shut. I certainly wouldn't have advertised it on a public forum either. If it is a big battery pack, the mistake was already made. Would cost Rivian money to correct it by having to replace the battery. I could be wrong, but I don't think the standard pack is simply software limited, I think they contain fewer batteries. They could limit it by software, but what's the point of that? The truck still has the big pack in it regardless. What's done is done. Lose lose if it were to be "corrected".

Mistakes are made. In this case, it may have been in the OP's favor. Enjoy the truck you paid for and that was delivered to you as-is. Vehicle sales are final. Vehicle sales are As-Is.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

That is the the same payload of the 21" DM Large Pack so either they put the wrong battery pack in your vehicle (unlikely) or the standard pack is just a software locked large pack that didn't get coded correctly in your vehicle (most likely).
Rivian R1T R1S Received wrong battery pack in my R1T - Large Pack (instead of standard) 1000009514

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Since the vehicle says it's a Large Pack, that's not a "standard that is software locked to large" - I think they just gave him a Large Pack.

I honestly can't in any possible realm imagine Rivian just shipping large packs software locked for $10,000 less, when they're already underwater on the large packs as it is.

Combined with the fact that the increase in range from Standard to Standard+ is the same as from Large to Max, it all points to "Standard pack is a physically smaller pack using the same chemistry as Large, Standard Plus uses the same physically smaller pack, just with the chemistry of Max."

Large pack has 9 modules. Standard has the range equal to if it has 7 of the same modules as Large.

Max is a 16% increase over Large, Standard+ is a 16% increase over Standard.

Everything points to "Standard and Standard+ are 7 modules, Large and Max are 9 modules. The longer-range in each module grouping use 16% higher density chemistry cells."

Tesla did the "software lock a bigger pack" because the smaller pack *wasn't* a good deal, and they expected to ship very few of them, and just made a smaller profit on the smaller-pack vehicles. But for Rivian, it's a huge price difference for "not that good a deal" really.
I suspect they started pushing out software limited large and max packs to get off inventory that had built up. They'll eventually shift to a real standard pack later this year in theory .

Cycliste

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T/20AT/2DNU, BMC TMR01/SRAM AXS/454 NSW
Occupation
Amateur aero weenie
Clubs

Not an April Fools post, right? If it is, I totally fell for it. What would be funny for me is if the vehicle was using kilometers, but saying those were miles.

Last edited:

Sponsored

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S PDM MP, 2019 Jaguar I-Pace HSE
Tesla has been software locking batteries for years and it wouldn't be exceptional for Rivian to do the same. It would cost them money to engineer a lower-capacity NCA battery pack and that makes less sense if they're eventually going to switch over to LFP as some predict.

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

That's a large pack it looks like. I doubt standard pack is a software locked large pack but it's certainly possible.

If I do a little speculative math here. 352/9 = 39.11

39.11 * 7 = 273
39.11 * 8 = 313

Max pack used the same cells but different chem. It's very possible S and SP are software locked large packs... For now.... Until they switch to LFP.

Remember they weren't supposed to release standard pack until this summer IIRC. They could have decided to do this as a demand trigger and part of the retooling this month could be a switch to LFP for S and SP.

The other possibility is that it's a software glitch. Need to run it down to zero and then charge it back up. See how much energy you can pull out and put back in.

Just because it's reporting that range doesn't mean you have 131 kwh usable.

Last edited:

Chrisy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T DM
As others said before any range shown on your dash is coming from the SW calibrated values for L pack, it possibly has nothing to do what the actual HW you have. It might be a simple calibration file issue at manufacturing. Which would rise a LOT of questions at Rivian operations side if you report it and they actually made this mistake. Some 8D/A3s will be filled for sure :eek:

The only way for you to know which battery you got is to charge you Rivian full and drive it until it falls to 10% or below.
Check you how much kWs you used. Then charge it back to 100% and see how much kW your Rivian takes to go full.

Side note: I can see some risks in a scenario where your HW is S pack and SW is calibrated for L pack unless there are clever failsafe/limiters implemented (which I would totally expect from Rivian devs), like messing up charging curve (expecting more cells to cool) but that might be overthinking on my part I am not an EV developer at all. Might not affect anything :sun:

Last edited:

R1 EVY

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Occupation
Entrepreneur
Clubs

Not sure if this is related, so be patient with me. If the physical pack of the standard and large are actually the same, then the upper limit "charge to 80%" isn't really an issue if you're software limited to a standard right because you're never charging to 100%? However, still try to avoid below 20% (unless they limit the range to the middle x% which would be the best for battery health 🤯).

<Ducks and holds hands over head waiting for the barrage of comment rocks to begin...>

defcon888

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T, 2021 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Occupation
Making money
Clubs

Yes, that's why am hesitant to contact support. If it is indeed a large battery pack, I do not want to bring it to their attention and get it software-locked :D
If you contacted them and it truly is a large battery pack when you ordered standard, I really doubt that Rivian will tell you to pay more. It was their fault, not yours.

I would look at the contract that you signed and compare that VIN with what you got. Then you can tell them that you double, triple checked and while the VINS match, the configuration doesn't.

I would rather let them know that there might be a mistake with the configuration instead of getting a letter saying "Hey, you owe us $10,000...pay up now".

To me, the best policy is to be honest, you will be rewarded in the end.
Sponsored