Sponsored

Rivian can we get an new update for headlights

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

Sounds like you have only ever driven American cars.

In contrast to your experience, I’ve always wondered why in the world the Chevy or Ford I’ve driven keeps its lights on for at least 30 seconds after car is parked. I mean, my garage (or any public garage) is already lighted, so why the need to keep headlights on for so long afterwards.

Every European, Japanese, and Korean car I have ever driven either defaults the headlights to off when you park the car or there’s an option to do so. Only American cars don’t from my experience.

Even Teslas have an option to turn off in park.
My Rivian is my first American car, if you ignore my dad’s cars I drove as a teenager or the cars of significant others. Lexus, BMW, Volvo, Infiniti. None of them have ever turned their lights off when you put the car in park and all of them defaulted to the headlights staying on for a period of time after getting out and locking.

Now, some certainly had settings where you could adjust the amount of time the lights were on after exiting, but none of them were “off when in park”.
Sponsored

R1TS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
My Rivian is my first American car, if you ignore my dad’s cars I drove as a teenager or the cars of significant others. Lexus, BMW, Volvo, Infiniti. None of them have ever turned their lights off when you put the car in park and all of them defaulted to the headlights staying on for a period of time after getting out and locking.

Now, some certainly had settings where you could adjust the amount of time the lights were on after exiting, but none of them were “off when in park”.
That’s strange. We have a BMW right now, and the ICE before that was a Lexus and Merc. They all turned off right after.

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

That’s strange. We have a BMW right now, and the ICE before that was a Lexus and Merc. They all turned off right after.
I suspect that we aren’t referring to the same thing, which may be complicated by the lack of an ignition switch on the R1T. I somehow doubt that any of those vehicles turned off their lights when you put the vehicle in “park”. I’d guess it was putting the car in park and turning it off. I don’t know of any car that would turn off its lights just by putting it in park.

R1TS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I suspect that we aren’t referring to the same thing, which may be complicated by the lack of an ignition switch on the R1T. I somehow doubt that any of those vehicles turned off their lights when you put the vehicle in “park”. I’d guess it was putting the car in park and turning it off. I don’t know of any car that would turn off its lights just by putting it in park.
Ah. Okay, I see where the confusion was. We’re referring to different states. You’re referring to just putting the vehicle into park on the drive selector but without turning off the car.

Still, I question why American cars, including the Rivian, need to keep the headlights on even after turning off the car.

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
Ah. Okay, I see where the confusion was. We’re referring to different states. You’re referring to just putting the vehicle into park on the drive selector but without turning off the car.

Still, I question why American cars, including the Rivian, need to keep the headlights on even after turning off the car.
As mentioned by others, EVs are different in the sense that “park” is not a master switch like “ignition off” in ICE. Once in park all systems are still on. The car doesn’t turn off and go to sleep until some time after you lock the doors and walk out of proximity range. Apples to oranges.
Sponsored