Sponsored

Rivian, please ”add” a power button

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
I’ve mentioned this in a few other threads, but there really needs to be some way to turn on/off the truck in the traditional sense.

I’m currently sitting in the R1T waiting for a table at a restaurant. Sitting here in park the headlights and taillights are on, causing people to think I’m about to leave my spot. The A/C is running unnecessarily. When I get out my music is going to keep playing until I lock the door. If I had proximity key enabled all of this would happen just by walking past the truck. Sure, all of these things can be controlled independently, but having one-touch to put everything in the appropriate state is way more convenient.

I understand the desire to simplify and remove buttons, which is why I put “add” in quotes. This could be an entirely optional feature enabled via software using the existing switchgear.

My preferred option is the Park button. If you’re already in Park and press the button again it could control the power state of the truck. Another option is the right steering wheel buttons which currently only function when in drive for cruise control/trailer brake.
Sponsored

OP
OP

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
You could always turn off your lights using the light selector on the stalk.
Yes, but as I mentioned it’s not just one thing I want to change in the “off” state. Like most people I set the stalk to auto and don’t ever think about it again. Having to control every element independently just to get the truck to an “off” state is cumbersome.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I hope they have an eject button by the time I get mine.

Sponsored

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Yes, but as I mentioned it’s not just one thing I want to change in the “off” state. Like most people I set the stalk to auto and don’t ever think about it again. Having to control every element independently just to get the truck to an “off” state is cumbersome.
Got it. I meant for not confusing folks who are waiting for you to leave a spot. I often sit and work out of the truck so turning off the lights has become a regular thing for me.

OP
OP

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
Got it. I meant for not confusing folks who are waiting for you to leave a spot. I often sit and work out of the truck so turning off the lights has become a regular thing for me.
I’ve become so used to auto lights I know I’d forget to turn them back on. I’ve done that a few times in rentals. Once I hit a stretch of road without other cars and no street lights I’m embarrassed to find I didn’t even realize the lights are off. In hindsight it’s like my brain knew something was off, but since I rarely touch the switch in most vehicles I don’t think to check it.

jemkewl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I just push the lock button on the FOB while sitting in the truck. Does everything you requested.

OP
OP

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
I just push the lock button on the FOB while sitting in the truck. Does everything you requested.
Interesting. I’ll have to play around with that! I don’t use the fob, but I assume the phone app or the lock button on the touch screen would work the same way?

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, F-150 Lightning Pro, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
I usually just turn the headlights off if I want my climate and radio on while I sit. If not...

Camp Mode -> Stay Off

That does what you need.

Sponsored

OP
OP

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
I usually just turn the headlights off if I want my climate and radio on while I sit. If not...

Camp Mode -> Stay Off

That does what you need.
Others have mentioned camp mode, but that’s still cumbersome opposed to just having a simple one-touch button.

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, F-150 Lightning Pro, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
Others have mentioned camp mode, but that’s still cumbersome opposed to just having a simple one-touch button.
I get liking buttons, I absolutely love them in my F-150 Lightning Pro. But I feel like if you went the Rivian (or Tesla) route...that's all part of the design. 3 taps of the screen while you're sitting and waiting anyway; there isn't really a rush is there?

Alternatively you can try asking Alexa to turn off. I haven't tried that yet, but perhaps that'll work.
Sponsored