Sponsored

Rivian R1 REFRESH w/ Charging Port on Passenger Side? (seen in new video interview)

Imitation Vinyl

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3, R1T
Just watched this interview with RJ and they have a shot of a (refreshed?) RT1 with what looks like a manual hinged charging port door on the right side of the vehicle. Not sure if this is the first time its been shown. Looks like it would be for easier super charger parking in the refresh models.

Shot is @3:19

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian R1 REFRESH w/ Charging Port on Passenger Side? (seen in new video interview) Screenshot 2024-05-09 at 5.37.09 PM
Sponsored

Last edited:

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

BrayBay

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Launch Edition R1S - Forest Green/Forest Edge
Clubs

Well this brings me back fond memories of the early days of Rivian, when information was limited and it was fun to speculate.

Here's the earliest video source of that screenshot that I could find. Parts of this video was also used in the original unveiling of the R1 vehicles at the LA Auto Show in 2018.

Sponsored

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Just watched this interview with RJ and they have a shot of a (refreshed?) RT1 with what looks like a manual hinged charging port door on the right side of the vehicle. Not sure if this is the first time its been shown. Looks like it would be for easier super charger parking in the refresh models.

Shot is @3:19

Screenshot 2024-05-09 at 5.37.09 PM.png
Five ways you can tell it's extremely outdated:
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian R1 REFRESH w/ Charging Port on Passenger Side? (seen in new video interview) 1000010252

Ineffective aero inserts.

Sidebar: I'm reeeeeeeally tired of taking screenshots of screenshots of screenshots to post non-gif pics! What the hell is wrong with my pics?

PBRAZ

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC Denali, Range Rover
Design team: RJ, we want to put the charge port on the front passenger side to make it easier to charge at Tesla SCs and for those that have a Tesla home charger. It will also make street side charging possible.

RJ: Nope

defcon888

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T, 2021 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Occupation
Making money
Clubs

Design team: RJ, we want to put the charge port on the front passenger side to make it easier to charge at Tesla SCs and for those that have a Tesla home charger. It will also make street side charging possible.

RJ: Nope
I know it is a big ask, but it would be nice to have a charging port in the current location and put an additional one in the back (like Tesla) that way we can use all the charging stations out there without blocking spaces. I think that would be a great selling point "Charge at a CCS1 or a TESLA with ease"

It would really easy (well, I think it would be) to just have a handoff mechanism so say you plug in the front one, the back one port door locks and the port itself shuts off.

lefkonj

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A7/Q3 R1S ordered
Clubs

I know it is a big ask, but it would be nice to have a charging port in the current location and put an additional one in the back (like Tesla) that way we can use all the charging stations out there without blocking spaces. I think that would be a great selling point "Charge at a CCS1 or a TESLA with ease"

It would really easy (well, I think it would be) to just have a handoff mechanism so say you plug in the front one, the back one port door locks and the port itself shuts off.
Much more complicated than you think. There is are all sorts of components between the port and the battery. That would have to be duplicated with components and wiring for the second port. Audi and Porsche have put two ports but I believe they are both in the front and only 1 does DC.

Sponsored

defcon888

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T, 2021 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Occupation
Making money
Clubs

Much more complicated than you think. There is are all sorts of components between the port and the battery. That would have to be duplicated with components and wiring for the second port. Audi and Porsche have put two ports but I believe they are both in the front and only 1 does DC.
I agree.....I am just a consumer and not an electrical engineer. One can hope!

Dave Cundiff

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23R1S(DM,Max); '23R1T(QM,Lg); '23 & '19 Bolts
Well this brings me back fond memories of the early days of Rivian, when information was limited and it was fun to speculate.

Here's the earliest video source of that screenshot that I could find. Parts of this video was also used in the original unveiling of the R1 vehicles at the LA Auto Show in 2018.

Off topic but: This video features OUR part of this beautiful country -- the Pacific Ocean outlet of the Columbia River! Love it! Now you all can see what we see.

Hopefully we never take this beautiful country for granted!

BrayBay

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Launch Edition R1S - Forest Green/Forest Edge
Clubs

Off topic but: This video features OUR part of this beautiful country -- the Pacific Ocean outlet of the Columbia River! Love it! Now you all can see what we see.

Hopefully we never take this beautiful country for granted!
Thanks, I was actually thinking about getting some geo-guessers to figure the location out. Will definitely need to make a trip out there to enjoy the beauty!

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
The current motorized charging port door adds unnecessary complication.